What do you know about Unitarian Universalist?

by Eyebrow 21 Replies latest jw friends

• anewperson
    anewperson

The U-U in the past few years have splintered some. The new group says the older group is now led too much by total atheists rather than, as in years past, led by those of the few that God is God and Christ was human.

An alternative for exJWs is the Free Christians movement which includes this website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jahchristian
    The Free Christians though including Friends from other belief systems outside JWs include wholesome nonprofit Bible Groups (Jah Christians, Round Mt Free Christians etc) whose beliefs are unity is by championing Christian freedoms (Ro14:1-5), love (Col 3:14) & simple basics (Heb6:1-2). Some Bible Groups gather via internet, in homes etc; pick servants though Christ's the only Leader over all (Mt23:13,1Ti2:5) as with earliest Christianity and most Protestant groups 400 years, select names (Round Mountain Free Christians, Ekklesia etc), help the poor, expose cults & dictatorships, respect Earth. Many also believe the meek will receive earthly resurrection and others go serve from heaven (Mt5:5,6:9,Re19:1), the energy/spirit being Satan (Job1,2,Mt4) not God caused human suffering, Christ & Paul say call God our "Father" for closeness(Mt6:9,Ro8:15) although Yah(weh), Jehovah or the tender Jah as in "hallelu-jah" (Praise Jah/the Lord) are acceptable, God's Spirit & symbolic water baptise, God forgives emergency blood usage (1Sa14:32-5,Mt7), tithing’s not required (Mt5:17, 23:23, Re7:6, 10:34, 2Co3:7-11). Free Christians offer a free emailed newsletter to those of all belief system, help those wanting Support Groups, epenpals etc regardless of beliefs.

ORGANIZERS: Ron Owens [email protected] (Princeton, W VA) 304-384-7843, Mike Terry [email protected] (Conway, ARK) Mike Warren [email protected] (USA NW) leave phone message 503-232-3747 [email protected] (at large)

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

duped:

I thought I had read somewhere that more and more of the UU churches were becoming more earth based, which I took to mean pagan. Is that correct?

Sort of. Pagans are joining UU churches in increasing numbers, without, of course, being obliged to give up their Paganism. Some longtime UU's are discovering that paganism has somethign to offer them (I came to pagansim through UU). Little pagan touches (like the use of "Blessed Be" along with "Amen") are creeping into UU services. There is an organization called the Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans (*www.cuups.org/). But they don't account for more than about 20% of membership now. Maybe less.

And about half of UU's still identify as some kind of humanist or agnostic or atheist, and another ten or twenty percent as some kind of Christian.

The real cutting edge, though, is liberal Moslems joining UU churches. Very few of those, as yet, but they're there.

anewperson:

The U-U in the past few years have splintered some. The new group says the older group is now led too much by total atheists rather than, as in years past, led by those of the few that God is God and Christ was human.
    Cite sources on this please? I do remember some debate on the UUs-L email list; one member was pleading for a return to creedal theism, and everyone else was arguing vociferously for religious inclusiveness. I understand there is now a "conservative UU" group, but the conservatism is largely political, I think. Which doesn't fly well in many UU congregations, a fact I'm not particularly ashamed of.

GentlyFeral

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Jesus said 'I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but by me'. Sort of speaks for itself doesn't it?

Penn

• anewperson
    anewperson

Sure, reference http://www.uua.org/news/uuaidentity/newstatement.html where the President of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations wrote of the schism group that he calls a group of name thieves this description of his anger and a lawsuit. So much for the UU allowing "Christian Freedom" with the UUA opposing the AUA and letting total atheists head the UUA congregations to say nothing of the anti-Christ pagans you mentioned:

With regard to the “American Unitarian Association”

An update and statement from
    outgoing President of the UUA, John Buehrens

(Cleveland, OH – June 20, 2001) I must admit that when I first discovered that a website had appeared using the name American Unitarian Association, one of my first responses was some anger. After all, it is a name and heritage that rightfully belongs to the more than 1,000 congregations that now constitute the Unitarian Universalist Association. When the UUA was formed in 1961 by special act of the Massachusetts Legislature, it was formed as the consolidation and continuation of both the American Unitarian Association and the Universalist Church of America.

My deeper feeling, however, is one of sadness. Some people have gained the impression, through the statements of a handful of unhappy people who have formed a new group under the old name, that there is a schism in our midst or that contemporary Unitarian Universalism has no place for God or spirituality. Neither statement could be further from the truth.

As we celebrate our 40th anniversary as an Association at this week’s General Assembly, Unitarian Universalists are more united than ever. There is not a single congregation that is even contemplating affiliating with the so-called “AUA.” Instead, we are experiencing a time of significant spiritual renewal – marked by deeper common worship, more widespread devotion to personal spiritual disciplines, and renewed appreciation of the varied wisdom traditions that inspire us. Our taproot, a tradition of Unitarian faith that is not creedal, but rather covenantal, is more deeply appreciated.

Let me be clear about this issue: we have absolutely no argument with the theological or political perspectives of this group. Had they proposed a “Unitarian Theists Fellowship,” it would have been welcome. After all, the UU Christian Fellowship is thriving, as are the UU Buddhist Fellowship, UUs for Jewish Awareness, and other UUA-affiliated groups based on shared spiritual affinity. The issue is not theology. If that were the case the new organization would have a hard time explaining how the UUA had me as its President for eight years – believing in and speaking about God, writing a book called Understanding the Bible, and devoted to a discipline of daily prayer!

Our only argument with this group is over the name they chose to use, and all we ask of them is to cease using that name. I deeply regret that the UUA has been forced to take legal action to stop this attempted identity theft. This is no trivial matter. The Association receives sizeable trust and bequest income in the name of the American Unitarian Association. I especially regret the legal expense, but our attorneys assure me that we should be able to recover our costs because the actions of the new group and its founders so clearly fit the legal definition of a malicious, rather than accidental, use of a name that we rightly own.

A hearing was held last week in Federal district court in Alexandria, VA, on a motion by the defendants to dismiss our suit. That motion was denied. There is very strong legal precedent in our favor – based on an attempt, following the consolidation of several Methodist bodies, to use the name of one of the constituent groups. We expect summary judgment in our favor within a matter of months

In the meantime, news stories continue to appear in regional papers portraying this as a schism or as a theological dispute. It is important for all Unitarian Universalists to understand that it is neither: it is an attempt at identity theft, and it must not distract us from the important religious renewal and justice work we have to do together.

Yours in faith,

John A. Buehrens

For previous information on the UUA's position relative to the 'AUA' UUs & the News
    ----------------
    UUA Main Page · Search Our Site · Contact Us
    Unitarian Universalist Association
    25 Beacon Street · Boston, MA · 02108 · Telephone (617) 742-2100 · Fax (617) 367-3237

For true Christian freedom email to get the Free Christians Newsletter: [email protected]

• COMF
    COMF

Sort of speaks for itself doesn't it?

Why don't you step back and be quiet, and let's see if it does.

letting total atheists head the UUA congregations

No more of those partial atheists, eh?

COMF

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Thanks for all the info...It has been something I have been seriously thinking about.

Gopher: My reasons for wanting to pursue a religion is it helps me focus on my spirituality and personal growth. It allows me to have others to speak with on this matter. I want an environment where I am not stifled or felt like I have to believe one way or the other and I think so far in my search the UU do that. I think I am going to see what I can find in my community.

anewperson: could you tell me where you got those resources about the UU? Also, I find the jahchristian group to be a little stifling...nothing personal...

penn: Yeah jesus said that...what does that have to do with the UU?

• anewperson
    anewperson

Wonderwoman, the reference link was given in the post up above and I found it within 1-2 minutes by surfing with the google.com search box. Go to google.com and you can find more. How can Jah Christians be "stifling" since the only requirements are belief in Christian freedom, unity by love and the simple basics at Hebrew 6:1-2? Beyond those basics you may believe or do not have to believe God will restore earth to paradise where some will be resurrected etc. Even if a non-Christian but peaceful you are free to associate, as true of U-U groups, but only a Christian would be baptized as a Christian. Still, to each his own and if a U-U you will be, then peace and the best to you.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

anewperson,

At first I was inclined not to answer this post out of sheer laziness, because frankly the issues you raise just don't impact my life very much. However, a few things occurred to me:

So much for the UU allowing "Christian Freedom" with the UUA opposing the AUA and letting total atheists head the UUA congregations to say nothing of the anti-Christ pagans you mentioned:
    Your notion of "Christian freedom" is oxymoronic: what you really mean is the freedom to declare what others will believe -- a "freedom" that Unitarians and Universalists have rejected for centuries. Said Reverend Francis David, "We need not think alike to love alike." You will never have any understanding of Unitarian Universalism until you understand this.

Now I quote from the article you posted:

Buehrens:

the name American Unitarian Association ... is a name and heritage that rightfully belongs to the more than 1,000 congregations that now constitute the Unitarian Universalist Association. When the UUA was formed in 1961 by special act of the Massachusetts Legislature, it was formed as the consolidation and continuation of both the American Unitarian Association and the Universalist Church of America.
    By analogy: what would your reaction be if a group resembling the UUA or the liberal wing of the Episcopal Church formed a new organization called the International Bible Students Association? This is exactly what was happening here: a splinter group took a name from UU history and applied it to an organization which has departed from UU aims and purposes.

I'm not going to bother embroidering on Buehrens' remarks on spirituality and the inclusiveness of the UUA; I'll just invite you to read them again, and confirm from experience that a "UU Theist Fellowship," as a special interest group of the UUA, would have been welcomed with open arms.

The UAC's "who we are" page is unobjectionable: * http://www.americanunitarian.org/principles.html I think what the AUC wants is to turn back the clock to the Unitarianism of the 19th century. Which was enough of a brainstretcher in its time, but any mainstream Protestant church can do that now.

This morning, I ran a cross a web page, which I can't find now, which said that the AUC is turning out to be much less interested in social action than the UUA.

I fear that what some of them really want is Jesus-brand navel-gazing, and an excuse to back away from the social activisim for which the UUA has become famous. I don't understand why they can't see that activism IS a form of spirituality. A very difficult, though satisfying form.

Gently Feral

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

gently
    that is what first impressed me about them is the activism. something i wanted to be involved in but always felt guilty because i should have been in field service.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

There is a new ad campaign from the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations.

http://www.uua.org/leaders/leaderslibrary/marketing/index.shtml

It asks "Is God keeping you from going to church?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit