A real (Christian) man speaks: The Words of God Do Not Justify Cruelty To Women

by SixofNine 13 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

RE: Abortion,

I don't know of anyone that view abortion as a form of Birth Control like conterceptives.

Everyone I know that is in favour of a woman's right to choose basically ASSUME that the woman has decided that there is no other viable option of her than an surgical intervention, no one ever sees it as a womans "first choice".

I think, outside extremists, all people view it that way.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Great article! Thank you, Jimmy Carter.

It is simply self-defeating for any community to discriminate against half its population.

This is one of the major reasons I could never be a JW. I do not believe in subjugation of women (or anyone else for that matter) and I refuse to do it to myself.

• yknot
    yknot

If women females were treated with that level of respect....... then access to birth control and the unquestionable right to refuse consent would end most of the pro/anti choice issues.

That would only leave cases of medical survivability of the mother.

Thanks for posting yall....... A very thought provoking proposal!

My inner feminist winks at my conservative Southen Bible Belt persona who is a bit concerned that we shouldn't generalize the human race so much that we forget the more admirable traits that are more dominate to one gender over the other (usually but not always). As men have in the past taken women's lib to mean women doing more and more men do less in the way of family responsibilities for the preservation and good of society.

• rebel8
    rebel8

hmmm....good for him that he wants the religious to stop seeing one gender as less than the other, but I agree with Susan B. Anthony, who said the Bible is misogynistic.

Genesis 19:5-8:
    Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing. Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you,and you can do what you like with them. But don't do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof."

Isaiah 3:16-23
    The LORD says, "The women of Zion are haughty, walking along with outstretched necks, flirting with their eyes, tripping along with mincing steps, with ornaments jingling on their ankles.
    Therefore the Lord will bring sores on the heads of the women of Zion; the LORD will make their scalps bald."?? In that day the Lord will snatch away their finery: the bangles and headbands and crescent necklaces, the earrings and bracelets and veils, the headdresses and ankle chains and sashes, the perfume bottles and charms, the signet rings and nose rings, the fine robes and the capes and cloaks, the purses and mirrors, and the linen garments and tiaras and shawls.?

Numbers 5:12-31
    "Speak to the Israelites and say to them: `If a man's wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him by sleeping with another man, and this is hidden from her husband and her impurity is undetected ...and if feelings of jealousy come over her husband and he suspects his wife and she is impure--or if he is jealous and suspects her even though she is not impure-- then he is to take his wife to the priest...
    "The priest shall bring her and have her stand before the LORD. Then he shall take some holy water in a clay jar and put some dust from the tabernacle floor into the water After the priest has had the woman stand before the LORD, he shall loosen her hair and place in her hands the reminder offering, the grain offering for jealousy, while he himself holds the bitter water that brings a curse.
    Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, "If no other man has slept with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you. But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have defiled yourself by sleeping with a man other than your husband -- here the priest is to put the woman under this curse of the oath--"may the LORD cause your people to curse and denounce you when he causes your thigh to waste away and your abdomen to swell. May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells and your thigh wastes away."
    Then the woman is to say, "Amen. So be it."
    "The priest is to write these curses on a scroll and then wash them off into the bitter water.
    He shall have the woman drink the bitter water that brings a curse, and this water will enter her and cause bitter suffering. The priest is to take from her hands the grain offering for jealousy, wave it before the LORD and bring it to the altar. The priest is then to take a handful of the grain offering as a memorial offering and burn it on the altar; after that, he is to have the woman drink the water.
    If she has defiled herself and been unfaithful to her husband, then when she is made to drink the water that brings a curse, it will go into her and cause bitter suffering; her abdomen will swell and her thigh waste away, and she will become accursed among her people. If, however, the woman has not defiled herself and is free from impurity, she will be cleared of guilt and will be able to have children.
    This, then, is the law of jealousy when a woman goes astray and defiles herself while married to her husband, or when feelings of jealousy come over a man because he suspects his wife. The priest is to have her stand before the LORD and is to apply this entire law to her. The husband will be innocent of any wrongdoing, but the woman will bear the consequences of her sin."?

Deuteronomy 22:20-21:
    If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl's virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father's house. You must purge the evil from among you.

Matthew 18:25 :
    Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

Isaiah 19:16:
    In that day the Egyptians will be like women. They will shudder with fear at the uplifted hand that the LORD Almighty raises against them.

Jeremiah 50:37:
    A sword against her horses and chariots and all the foreigners in her ranks! They will become women. A sword against her treasures! They will be plundered.

1 Corinthians 14:34:
    Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says.

1 Timothy 2:11:
    A woman should learn in quietness and full submission.

1 Timothy 2:9 :
    I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes.

Esther 1:10-22:
    According to law, what must be done to Queen Vashti?" he asked. "She has not obeyed the command of King Xerxes that the eunuchs have taken to her."
    Then Memucan replied in the presence of the king and the nobles, "Queen Vashti has done wrong, not only against the king but also against all the nobles and the peoples of all the provinces of King Xerxes.? For the queen's conduct will become known to all the women, and so they will despise their husbands and say, `King Xerxes commanded Queen Vashti to be brought before him, but she would not come.'

Genesis 3:16:
    To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."

Judges 11:
    And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD: "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering." Then Jephthah went over to fight the Ammonites, and the LORD gave them into his hands. He devastated twenty towns from Aroer to the vicinity of Minnith, as far as Abel Keramim. Thus Israel subdued Ammon. When Jephthah returned to his home in Mizpah, who should come out to meet him but hisdaughter, dancing to the sound of tambourines! She was an only child. Except for her he had neither son nor daughter. When he saw her, he tore his clothes and cried, "Oh! My daughter! You have made me miserable and wretched, because I have made a vow to the LORD that I cannot break."
    "My father," she replied, "you have given your word to the LORD. Do to me just as you promised, now that the LORD has avenged you of your enemies, the Ammonites.
    But grant me this one request," she said. "Give me two months to roam the hills and weep with my friends, because I will never marry."
    "You may go," he said. And he let her go for two months. She and the girls went into the hills and wept because she would never marry.
    After the two months, she returned to her father and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin. From this comes the Israelite custom that each year the young women of Israel go out for four days to commemorate the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite.

Leviticus 12:1-8:
    The LORD said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites: `A woman who becomes pregnant and gives birth to a son will beceremonially unclean for seven days, just as she is unclean during her monthly period. On the eighth day the boy is to be circumcised.
    Then the woman must wait thirty-three days to be purified from her bleeding. She must not touch anything sacred or go to the sanctuary until the days of her purification are over.
    If she gives birth to a daughter, for two weeks the woman will be unclean, as during her period. Then she must wait sixty-six days to be purified from her bleeding. "`When the days of her purification for a son or daughter are over, she is to bring to the priest at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting a year-old lamb for a burnt offering and a young pigeon or a dove for a sin offering.
    He shall offer them before the LORD to make atonement for her, and then she will be ceremonially clean from her flow of blood. "`These are the regulations for the woman who gives birth to a boy or a girl.
    If she cannot afford a lamb, she is to bring two doves or two young pigeons, one for a burnt offering and the other for a sin offering. In this way the priest will make atonement for her, and she will be clean.'"

1 Corinthians 11:5:
    And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is just as though her head were shaved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit