Field Service Break stories

by lancelink 15 Replies latest jw friends

• lancelink
    lancelink

After reading the thread about strange field service experiences, I kept thinking about some of the strange stories

when we would stop for break on a Saturday morning:

There was this brother and his wife who were uber-rightous about getting time in. He had this really annoying habit of creating his own

personal "tag line for all his cutsie idea's.

His worst one was SO-SO, which stood for Saturday on, or Saturday off.

Him and his wife would put their nose to the grindstone one weekend and just go out in service, no breaks until noon, then the next Saturday

they would take a small 10 minute break for coffee, or soda. That was it, and they had small children at the time.

He was our BS conductor, and my kids hated working with him because of his quirky attitudes.

One morning it was about100 degrees, and all the kids were just miserable. I mentioned that we should stop and get something for them to drink.

Well this elder said nope, we need to focus on service because this is a Saturday on (non-stop service day).

Well, I looked back and saw my kids just miserable, so I ignored this guy and pulled into the donut shop and took my kids in to get something to drink.

This elder instructed his family to stay in the car, and practice a new presentation, he was VERY GOOD at making people feel guily if they did not agree with him. So my wife and I ignored him and his attitude and we took our kids in for a well deserved break.

And you know what ?

I had no bad feelings about it at all !

• Kudra
    Kudra

What a dick.

• dudeson
    dudeson

I used to look forward to going out in service with a particular elder and his wife because i knew they usually did a few return visits that each last about 30-45 minutes. Then we would go to the local bakery for fresh donuts and end around 11:45.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I hope he gets stung by a bee on a non-stop Saturday about 10 minutes in. And I hope he has to stop for about 2 hours to tend to it.

Sometimes you need to force these humanoids to take a break, especially when children are involved and they will not get a break otherwise.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Those poor kids of his. They are probably all in therapy now.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Never had to work with an over-zealous brother. Everyone that I worked with lived for break time ... even extended it for a good 30 minutes.

• cognac
    cognac

I used to LOVE going out in field service!!! I would work with my father and he would drive around the territory and I would point to the house that was my call. I wasn't to good at keeping records and I had calls everywhere. I was a cute kid and I guess people couldn't say no to me. Then, during break we would sit there for an hour as I preached to the regulars who went to dunkins and everybody else would enjoy themselves chatting counting all the time I'm sure! Then, we would walk out and some would say jokingly, "Time for our break now"... My Dad loved working with me!!! lol

On Sundays my dad would go out in service with me and only do 1 call of mine on the way home... I thought it was funny he didn't want to do his own calls but was always excited we got to do mine even though it was only 1 he would do and it had to be on the way home.

After an assembly my dad and I went out in service the very next day and I was completely shocked to see nobody else. He asked me why I was shocked and I told him that I thought the whole entire congregation would be out today. He asked why and said that everybody was tired after the assembly. I said that because they hadn't been out for 3 or 4 days! (Whichever it was...)

My presentation at the door when I was about 4 or 5 went like this:

(householder opens the door)

Me: Would you like to live in a world like this? (And I would open the new world tract.) Say yes.

lol, I was evidently afraid the householder would say no and then I wouldn't no what to say so I told them to say yes, lol...

Ok, sorry, got a little off track...

• bohm
  • truthseeker
    truthseeker

There was one elder I worked with who liked to take up to 40 minute breaks. He would do about 45 minutes door to door, have a long break and then we'd drive about for another 45 minutes doing return visits.

Most dubs did live for breaks, in fact many in my hall had to stop to pick up breakfast after the meeting for field service had ended.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

This elder instructed his family to stay in the car, and practice a new presentation,

Bet his kids are no longer dubs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit