Saw an ad on TV for the Bible Students last night...

by drew sagan 12 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Caught the very end of the commercial. They were giving away a brochure called "Science and Creation".

I wanted to figure out which group was specifically behind the ad, but failed to remember the toll free number in full.

I know for sure that it was 1-800-???-DAWN. I believe the "???" had a 2 and a 4 in it. Just curious to know who is advertising in my area.

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

1-888-440-DAWN

There is a member here that is with Dawn Bible Students. Care to comment?

• MadGiant
    MadGiant
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Part of a series on Bible Students
    General information
    Bible Students
    Bible Student movement
    Communities
    Associated Bible Students
    Free Bible Students
    Layman's Home Missionary Movement
    IBSA · Jehovah's Witnesses
    Publishing houses
    Christian Millennial Fellowship
    Dawn Bible Students Association
    Pastoral Bible Institute
    Watch Tower· IBSA
    Publications
    The Dawn · The Herald
    The New Creation
    Frank and Ernest (broadcast)
    Studies in the Scriptures
    The Photo-Drama of Creation
    The Watchtower· Awake!
    Biographies
    Charles Taze Russell
    Jonas Wendell · William Henry Conley
    Nelson H. Barbour · Paul S. L. Johnson
    Beliefs
    Jehovah · Nontrinitarianism · Ransom
    Dispensationalism · Sheol and Hades
    Resurrection · Annihilationism
    This box: viewtalkedit

The Dawn Bible Students Association is a legal entity used by a branch of the Associated Bible Students.

It was founded with the intention of becoming a publishing house to begin distributing the Studies in the Scriptures series written by Charles Taze Russell which the Watchtower Society had ceased publishing and distributing in 1928.

In 1966 the Dawn published 'Oh, the Blessedness'; a small booklet which rejected most of Pastor Russell's views of Bible prophecy and end time predictions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_Bible_Students_Association

Take care,

Ismael

• RR
    RR

Several Bible Student groups are affiliated with THE DAWN. Back in the late 1960s there was split when the DAWN began publishing "new light" that many considered error. As a result several groups were formed, congregations split and a new independent movement started. The DAWN, while just a publishing house (so they claim) is still the largest of the Bible Student groups.

I'm a Bible Student, but am not affiliated with the DAWN, at least not any more.

RR

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

RR – Are you an Associated Bible Student? Are you with a particular group?

• lalliv01
    lalliv01

I read RR's comments at "bible students.net". Just saying, is all.

Very interesting, Ray, very interesting.

lalliv01

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    1-888-440-DAWN

There is a member here that is with Dawn Bible Students. Care to comment?

I know it wasn't them. I'm positive it was an 800 number and that there was a two in the middle somewhere. Althought seeing the "DAWN" is what made me suspect is was a Bible Student group. They did not provide a website . I looked on the DAWN's website and saw the brochure they were offering. It must be some group that is associated with the Dawn as RR said.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    The DAWN, while just a publishing house (so they claim) is still the largest of the Bible Student groups.

Care to elaborate?

• RR
    RR
    RR – Are you an Associated Bible Student? Are you with a particular group?

You know it's hard to categorize any of the groups by name.

Over 100 years ago all the congregations were IBSA, then in 1914 the IBSA was incorporated and C.T. Russell suggested that all congregation take the name Associated BIble Students.

Then the split occurred in 1917, and those associated with the Society eventually took the IBSA name again, because those who left kept using the ABS name. Then the 1931 came along and took the name JW's.

During that time several groups were formed, the Pastoral Bible Institute, the Standfast Bible Students Association, Laymen's Home Missionary Movement, Elijah Voice Society, Berean Bible Students Assoctaion, the Dawn Bible Students Association.

During the spilt in 1917, those who left considered themselves Independent Bible Students, or Free Bible Students. By 1935 most of the groups had faded, many who considered themselves independent, were just lone congregations, who felt the Society served it's purpose once Russell died, and so did not align themselves with any of the newly formed groups.

By the mid 1930s, the Dawn had risen to the top as the sucessor's to C.T. Russell's ministry. And many congregations old and new rallied around her. They became Associated Bible Students, for a time many called themselves Dawn BIble Students of .... (insert city).

But then the Dawn began to make changes, teach contrary to what was generally accepted by the Bible Students, while they continue to print the Studies in the Scriptures, they no longer believed in much of what was taught. So they taught contrary to what was taught in the very books they published and distributed.

This and other issues cause a major schism in the DAWN, and a new independent movement started. This time there was no concerted effort to form a new group outside of the Dawn, although some tried. For the most part those who left the DAWN, used the congregation as a tool for witnessing. So those congregation affiliated or formed by the DAWN, changed their names. The Associated Bible Students of New Brunswick, NJ became the Bible Students Congregation of New Brunswick and became publishing the Volumes, and other books, tracts and booklets and DVD's. The Associated Bible STudents of Fort Worth, TX, became the Fort Worth Bible Students, they too published the volumes, books, booklets, tracts, a journal and produced both a Television program and Radio program.

Other congregations became doing the same.

So while you can't categorize a particular group and say "I am a Dawner" or "I am of the a PBI", you can categorize individuals.

There are Conservative and Ultra conservative Bible Students, those who follow C.T. Russell, then there are the Liberals and ultra Liberals, those, like the DAWN who pick and choose what they want to accept and either reject or ignore the others.

There may be conservative congregations, but some of the members may be liberal or Conservatives in a liberal class, because that is all there is.

In some cases there will be 3 or 4 different classes in the same area, all different.

There are conservative and liberal conventions and then there are mixed conventions with both sides.

As for me? While my association is liberal, my beliefs are conservative. I am a true blue Russellite, and independent, not affiliated with any of the groups.

RR

• RR
    RR
    I read RR's comments at "bible students.net". Just saying, is all. Very interesting, Ray, very interesting.

My name isn't Ray, it's Rolando Rodriguez. But thanks for visiting biblestudents.net

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit