New book - Any thoughts?

by Jack Burton 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

The following are my initial thoughts on the book “Bearing Thorough Witness About God's Kingdom” after making a very quick survey.

The book states that it employs the book of Acts to inspire converted JWs to greater commitment and action, and to deepen their respect for the Governing Body (page 9). Since the book is intended for internal consumption, it provides no expositions of the WTS doctrines they are to preach, apart from a discussion of one WTS doctrine.

That single detailed exposition relates to the unassailable authority of the Governing Body. Whilst followers are urged to “go forth and preach”, the author reminds them that the content of their preaching is determined by and controlled by the Governing Body. The author states that the primitive church at Jerusalem had a Governing Body, which he says shows that the WTS’s Governing Body is to be recognised just as authoritatively as Christ’s Apostles were. The book contains a gloss to Russell (page 98) but no reference is made to any of his successors, whether the influential Rutherford, who shaped the current body, nor to any of his immediate successors. Praise is reserved for the Governing Body. The author assumes that today there is a single elect religious organisation, although he provides no evidence for his position, nor does he justify which one it is. While the book encourages its readership to preach “God’s Kingdom”, the author provides no Biblical explanation of that expression.
    --------------------
    The book makes a single reference to 1914, but it provides no explanation or justification for its assertion regarding that date. I saw no reference in the book to any other eschatological date.

Regarding 1914, the Scripture verses referred to by the author do not provide explicit exegesis in support of his assertion, even though few JWs are aware of or understand the WTS’s explanation.

The following is that single sentence in the book regarding 1914. That sentence is immediately followed by an unjustified inference to 1918 and 1919. “The Kingdom was established in heaven in the year 1914. (Acts 3:21; Ps. 110:1-3; Dan. 4:16, 17) Shortly thereafter, Christ began overseeing a spiritual restoration work on earth. As a result, millions have been brought into a spiritual paradise, becoming subjects of God's Kingdom.” (Bearing Thorough Witness About God's Kingdom, page 31) These are the verses that are referenced in that passage. Acts 3:21 (NIV): “He must remain in heaven until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets.
    Psalm 110:1-3 (NIV): The LORD says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.” The LORD will extend your mighty scepter from Zion; you will rule in the midst of your enemies. Your troops will be willing on your day of battle. Arrayed in holy majesty, from the womb of the dawn you will receive the dew of your youth.
    Daniel 4:16, 17 (NIV): Let his mind be changed from that of a man and let him be given the mind of an animal, till seven times pass by for him. “ ‘The decision is announced by messengers, the holy ones declare the verdict, so that the living may know that the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes and sets over them the lowliest of men.’ ”

Positions on 1914 previously held by the WTS, such as “generation” and the dates 1918 and 1919, are not explicitly mentioned by the book’s author.
    -----------------------
    Despite being told to preach the “Kingdom of God”, the reader is not provided with a reasoned argument on the Biblical understanding of the expression.

As the book’s title indicates, it is designed for internal consumption, directed solely at those who have been converted. The author reminds them that the message and the literature the reader is required to disseminate is prepared by and distributed by the Governing Body.

I am impressed with the painted artwork. At least the people could be considered to look like Jews.

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit