Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you??

by darthfader 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I know they are going to lead me to trouble and stagnation. I do not want to be led into just meeting men at a$$emblies (yes, they told me to do just that), and now out in field circus (there is a directive in the August 2009 Kingdumb Misery to focus on finding men in the territories, and I can see them putting me right on the front lines on that new arrangement). Yet, that's where Jehovah Baghead and the hounders in the congregation are trying to forcibly lead me--and Jehovah wonders why I hate Him so much. (And the hounders wonder why I have missed so many boasting sessions).

• carla
    carla

Blondie said, " As a jw, I always wondered how the WTS could say they had no leader but had those who led."- haha, excellent! What do the elders say to that? would the answer be different for a r & f?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

In Hebrews 13:17 peithô is in the passive voice with dative, not accusative complement; so even if you insist on the translation "persuade" that should be "be persuaded by your leaders etc.", not 'persuade your leaders'!

However peithô passive + dative is a very common Greek idiom for "obey" (synonym of hupakouô, cf. the parallel hupeikô in the same sentence, submit yourselves) with the frequent but not necessary nuance of "trust"... For instance in James 3:3, how would you translate peithô passive: "we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them (be persuaded by? trust? or more simply obey?) us"?

Extrapolating on dictionary definitions without a mastery of Greek usage, and with a particular ideological agenda instead, is precisely what led the NW translators to their biggest mistakes imo (not here though). It might be better to learn from their methodological flaws not to commit the same mistake in the opposite way.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Yes its always beneficial for mankind to obey ignorant poorly educated powerful old men, just like the GB members,

who of course get their power and guidance from reading what people did and thought 2000 years ago.

• The Berean
    The Berean

Mark 13 21-23

"Then, too, if anyone says to YOU, ‘See! Here is the Christ,’ ‘See! There he is,’ do not believe [it]. 22 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will give signs and wonders to lead astray, if possible, the chosen ones. 23 YOU, then, watch out; I have told YOU all things beforehand.

Hebrews 13 reminded early Christians to first evaluate the results before following the leader: 7

7 Remember those who are taking the lead among YOU, who have spoken the word of God to YOU, and as YOU contemplate how [their] conduct turns out imitate [their] faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit