Creator or Evolution? Confused...

by Newborn 55 Replies latest jw friends

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Knowledge is Power. Check out the books recomended in this other topic.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

"""Err no, the alternative according to science is that everything is here due to natural processes""".

What natural processes produced the universe - oh pleae elaborate?

"""Science does not know what came 'before' the big bang"""

Neither do I - no one does.

"""So perhaps you could rewrite that to be 'we dont know what made everything - entirely in line with the basic rules of science."""

No - quite happy with what I have written already - you have said nothing that changes what I said.

"""Evolution was proven by Darwin"""

Some evolutionary biologists would disagree with you on this.

"""If you could point out one scientific article (in a reputable scientific journal) that proves Darwin wrong on the fundamentals of evolution by natural selection?"""

And this is the problem - both sides of the argument can pruduce loads of articles, evidence etc etc - it is a circular conversation.

Look - believe what you want to believe, I am happy and content to believe that God created the entire universe and all life on earth. For me this is the only logical conclusion.

Each to their own......

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Believing in God is fine (i do not however), provided you accept he did things scientifically as the evidence suggests & didn't just snap his fingers to create man.

And to believe that this God could possibly be the biblical God is like saying 'i think that building over there was designed, so Bob the builder must have done it'. The bible is rubbish.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I watched the vid on evolution. I enjoyed the presentation style and the arguments put forward.

I found the closing statements highly ironic though!

"If you claim the Theory Of Evolution says...apes mutate into humans, your grandparents were monkeys"

Yes I remember enough of what was taught in school to remember evolution shows humans are descended from apes and monkeys.

I can still remember the picture sequence something like this

Go to a detailed & complete human evolution sequence pictures...

Has science come up with "new light" or is it once again saying something completely different?

I guess someone is going to explain they aren't apes and monkeys at all but they sure do look like them to me!

All the best,

Stephen

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Stephen... if anyone laughs at what you just wrote it won't be in a friendly way.

Sorry.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Stephen,

The ancestral primates from which humans and the modern apes sprang would resemble apes so thats how us laymen would likely label them. Just like we'd label a saber-tooth tiger as a large predatory "cat". You can appreciate though that one can't assume that modern cats are genetically the same to the saber-tooth. Likewise with the ancient "apes" and the modern ones.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi MS,

Many thanks. Looks like I wasn't paying attention is school or else they got it wrong?

Anyhow the long and the short of it is this, evolution states that my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, grandmother was a fish right?

And her great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, grandmother was a single cell?

That single cell spontaneously appeared in the big bang right? Or am I in the "old light" here too?

All the best,

Stephen

• deemoo
    deemoo

Newborn, please check your PMs

Cheers,

Deemoo

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

IIRC, the big bang and the appearance of the first cellularforms of life are separated by 10+ billion years. So I wouldn't say the first cell spontaneously arose from the Big Bang.

Also, no current theory holds that the first cell arose spontaneously whole formed either. When you're talking about how life arose (thats abiogenesis - not evolution) then there's very little known on how it happened.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    That single cell spontaneously appeared in the big bang right? Or am I in the "old light" here too?

Evolution is not a theory regarding how life begain (that is a process known as "abiogenesis"). Evolution is a theory which describes the variety of life we see today in nature.

I think the best answer right now to how life began is "I don't know". There are a few ideas how abiogenesis could have happened, but not enough evidence to support any one hypothosis over another.

To Newborn:

If you want to learn about evolution, go for it! But keep in mind evolution is a product of scientific thinking. Science isn't shallow or oversimplified. Science is the real deal, which means it isn't always intuitive or easy to understand. Chemestry, cellular biology... modern science provides deep and sophisticated answers to very complex questions. In some cases it takes a lot of study, research, and thinking before you really even understand the question.

Keep an open mind, and if a creationist kind of question pops into your head, google it! Chapter 6 in Darwin's "On the Origin of the Species" addresses the difficult areas of the theory. Darwin stood behind his theory, but because genetics and DNA were not yet understood in his time, he acknowleged that his theory rode on the idea that some mechanism for passing on traits would be discovered. Many scientists have challenged evolution with every conceivable question, and for 200 years, it's stood up to the challenges. In the Dover trial, Behe threw all his best arguments against evolution into the trial, and every time scientists stood up to his challenges. So any question you have has no doubt been asked many, many times before, and you should be able to find a satisfactory answer.

- Lime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit