Two Posers For You

by Farkel 37 Replies latest jw friends

• dutchstef
    dutchstef

I would let my child make the choice.

It's a part of growing up and finding your own way in live and learn to make your own decisions.

honoustly I'd probably cheat

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Why does being sucessful and happiness have to be something that don't go together?

On cheating, this is what bothers me about it, so someone cheats to get into a university and because they do not know what they needed to know they fail, thus being unsuccessful to pass college.

A failure, but maybe happy!!!

purps

• undercover
    undercover

I. Would you rather your children grow up to be successful or happy? Explain your answer.

I'll say happy, because if you're happy, you're successful. You may not be rich, powerful or connected, but if you like what you do and it satisfies you, then your happy and thus successul.

II. If you knew your child could cheat on a test and in doing so, get admitted to a prestigious University which would advance the child much further in life, would you prefer the child to:

1) Cheat, get the education and be much further ahead in life, or

2) Not cheat, get a far lesser education and miss out on the opportunities which would be available in choice #1.

Tricky question...not a trick question, just tricky. It's hard to give a straight up answer...too many variables. I'm not against fudging to get things done, but I'm not in favor of outright dishonesty just to get ahead. For the purpose of this quiz, I'm going to say 'not cheat'. Just because you go to a more prestigious college doesn't mean you're going to miss out on a good education. And while having an Ive League dipoloma may be good on a resume, it's not a guarantee either. Many 'successful' people came from lesser schools...or were even drop outs. To be happy would mean being true to yourself, whether you're number 1 or number 200 in your class or if you work on Wall street or if you build walls.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I would prefer my child be happy. Why? If she's happy, then I'm happy!

Not cheat. Why? I want her to be a winner; winners never cheat, and cheaters never win. Please forgive the cliche.'

Sylvia

• Heaven
    Heaven

1) Happy. All positive, healthy, growth-oriented lives flow from this.

2) Not cheat. Cheating is not part of a moral compass. It erodes your integrity and is dishonest. This will not work in favour of the child. It is best to fail and learn than to achieve false gains. I certainly wouldn't want to have a doctor who passed because he cheated! How can you trust someone who cheated? Cheating is not part of "The Laws of Nature" or "True North Principles". Because of this, cheating is not growth-oriented and is destructive. Sometimes failure actually points us down the path we should have been taking to begin with. I don't see a far lesser education as being connected with not cheating. I actually believe you will gain a far greater education by not cheating.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I. Would you rather your children grow up to be successful or happy?

My son is married to a lovely woman he adores. They have a healthy, active 2-year-old son. They both have jobs they like and bring in an enviable income. Yet my son says he's unhappy. When they married, they moved to a major city in another state. Their commutes chew up a large portion of their day and would test the patience of a saint. Despite the good income, the expense of living in the city takes nearly every cent they earn. My son is still recovering from the shock that comes with with the heavy responsibilities of caring for a baby. He misses the friends he left behind. He misses us, his parents, though we do our best to see them often.

By society's definition, he's successful. But I would rather see him less successful by society's standards and more happy by his own standards.

1) Cheat, get the education and be much further ahead in life, or...... 2) Not cheat, get a far lesser education and miss out on the opportunities which would be available in choice #1.

I would rather he didn't cheat. Getting "further ahead" in life, by which I assume you mean more money, bigger house, expensive car, etc., would not make him happier, IMO, because none of those things would substitute for what he believes is lacking in his life now.

Since these questions are designed to highlight generational differences, I'm going to pose them to my son to see if he answers differently. Should be interesting. I won't bother asking my parents, who are dubs. I already know what their answers would be.

• minimus
    minimus

1-happy

2-cheat

If a child grows up to be a happy person, he might tend to be successful because he'll be "happy" in his life, his job, his marriage, etc.

In the real world,unfortunately, we are not really 100% honest in EVERYTHING. We should strive to be honest and honorable but at times, in life, we might take shortcuts if they are afforded to us.There are degrees of dishonesty but I think a little cheating on a test could work out for the lad.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I define success as "happiness" and "being farther ahead in life" as living with integrity, therefore, I'm unable to answer your questions as they pose a false dichotomy that my frame of reference in life doesn't even recognize as existing.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

You can only cheat so long..The lesson you did`nt learn..Will come back to haunt you again and again..

.....................OUTLAW

• minimus
    minimus

Cog, of course you're right but as Farkel suggests, it's his thread----either answer his questions or "run along now".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit