Prophesying = Teaching

by Bystander39 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Bystander39
    Bystander39

In the most recent disfellowshiping thread, pages from a new publication was posted. I noticed under the Head Covering section, the following sentence:

Today, prophesying would apply to any Bible-based teaching a Christian miniter does.

This is interesting since so much that is 'taught' has been shown to be wrong and we are to watch for False Prophets. I'm assuming one who prophesizes is a prophet. This is a much wider brush than predicting when things will happen!

Bystander

• wobble
    wobble

This would fit with the biblical view of a prophet,or prophesying, notice in the scripture where Jesus is blindfolded, someone slaps him,and he is challenged "Prophesy ! who WAS it who slapped you?" concerning an event then in the recent past.

Also the OT prophets did not only predict, but tried to guide the Israelites in the right way.

So teaching was a major part of the work of the prophets, this stance also allows the WT to say that women in their Org. also prophesy, thus fulfilling Joels words etc.

But, as you rightly point out,as what they are teaching is error they are false prophets ! and as Farkel has pointed out on another thread, their success at prediction is a great fat ZERO, they are doubly false prophets !

Thanks for your post, and a huge welcome to the board.

Love

Wobble

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

A popular game for cults is to change the definitions of common words.

This will take of this perceived discrepancy.

• reniaa
    reniaa

You do realise if you widen prophecying to teaching, it allows for mistakes in the prophets teaching and them not being classed as false prophets! mistakes that God rectified but mistakes none the less.

Reniaa

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Sorry reniaa....datesetting and calling it God's date is prophecying, and flasely so if it does not come to pass.

WT is guilty as charged.

• undercover
    undercover
    You do realise if you widen prophecying to teaching, it allows for mistakes in the prophets teaching and them not being classed as false prophets!

WTF?

Fine, then...they're false teachers.

Happy?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    You do realise if you widen prophecying to teaching, it allows for mistakes in the prophets teaching and them not being classed as false prophets!
    WTF?
    Fine, then...they're false teachers.

Happy?

Undercover, I would love to meet you in person and introduce you to my husband. You two must be somehow related, as you both have that special skill of cutting through bullsh*t.

• undercover
    undercover

LOL, thanks jamie

My bullshit meter works better on some subjects than others. And some days my curmudgeoness overrides my politness.

I just wish I could help my JW family cut through it. If I cut loose on BS in front of them, they just see an angry person lashing out, they don't get it...so I have to save my lashing out for here sometimes.

First beer's on me if we ever meet... (one for each of you)

• wobble
    wobble

Undercover, if we ever meet I'll by you a gallon of beer !

I am in the same position as you, but I have decided that, in a controlled way, I shall no longer pussy-foot around with my relatives, I don't think it does them any good to remain in their " Ivory Tower " but I think the sparks will fly ! What jolly japes, I am looking forward to it !

Please keep up demolishing the BS from Reniaa and others, we don't mind how curmugeonly you are on here !

Love

Wobble

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

mistakes that God rectified but mistakes none the less.

Reniaa

hahaha! God is no better than the imperfect humans!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit