Most people say they do not want to live forever.

by John Doe 30 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

I think living forever under certain conditions might be OK.

It would be terrible if no one you knew / loved was also immortal.

It would be terrible if you were stuck on earth (or any other single place) the whole time.

It would be terrible if your mind reached some sort of maximum capacity, and your ability to learn, create, enjoy were arrested.

Negate those things, and I think it would be pretty cool.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

i agree with sir.

i always wanted to live in paradise earth forever.

i just don't want to live forever as a robot

• Satanus
    Satanus

70, or 75 seems a good time to lift off. Not commenting on all those old people who can barely move on their own. That's not my business. However, if people lived for hundreds or even thousands of yrs, i believe that progress would be slowed greatly or stopped, eventually. It's because when people get old, most of them become stuck in one mental paradigm. They live in the world that they grew up in, and if they were running the world, they would tend to attempt to keep the world the way it was. On the other hand, they would be a great repository of history.

S

• only me
    only me

It depends on how long I can stay healthy and enjoy a fairly reasonable quality of life.

I know a centarian who is getting around fairly well and is happy to be alive still. I also know other people who are old and moldy in their 60s.

I plan on staying active and useful as long as I can, my kids are already cracking jokes about what they are going to do to me when I have to depend on them so I have to live long enough to get some revenge lol.

So I guess my final answer (for now) is that I want to live until I am good and ready to go, whatever age that is going to be.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I would choose to live forever if I could be healthy, happy, and fulfilled.

I do not fear death either.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

It ain't the years baby, it's the mileage

• mraimondi
    mraimondi

i think the main reason people dont want to live forever (as happy, healthy people) is because they have nothing good in their lives to pursue... they have lived their lives empty, in the rat race, and simply dont care for it, and dont realize there is so much more out there.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Live forever on Earth? ....That was a pipe dream of the J Dubs. They used it to sell the message of "The Kingdom" to the unwary and wishful thinkers that we used to be.

How long do I want to live? As long as I have health and a mind that can still function. As long as I can function, (go to the loo unaided) get myself around and live independently, and have the fingers to keep posting on JWD ...I am OK ..

If I lost those things today...tomorrow is the day to die, and I do believe in assisted suicide where appropriate..

What's age got to do with it ?, what is "retirement age" ? Tina Turner is almost 70 and still wowing the crowds. Mick Jagger is 66, Bill Wyman 72 and still fronts his own band. John Lee Hooker was 83 when he died , still playing gigs

• Atomahawk
    Atomahawk

As long as as I can get HARD (even with a blue pill) it's all good. When it stops working I know my desire to live will slowly fade from that point on.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Atomahawk, there's always reincarnation! How about coming back as a prize stud bull???

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit