Puppeting the Message

by Hope4Others 14 Replies latest jw friends

• villabolo
    villabolo

Sorry, double post.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Several times I asked others in the cong how these kids were offered scholarships if they hadn't applied to college

In my area, 2 year community colleges were acceptable (not encouraged, but accepted). There were a many organizations that handed out scholarships in small amounts to help high school grads pay for community college. Typically the scholarships were for $500 or less and would often be spread out over two or more semesters. So, if I received a $500 scholarship, $250 would be applied for Semester 1's tuition and $250 would be applied for Semster 2.

Some JW kids would enroll in community college and would receive one of these scholarships since they were quite common. If the kid got fed up with school or decided it wasn't for him during the first semester of school, he could give an assembly part later and claim he turned down a scholarship (the unused 2nd semester portion). His statement would therefore not be an outright lie.

Of course, as you and others have pointed out, sometimes even these technicalities were scrapped in favor of outright lies in order to provide "encouraging" experiences. Bringing up these memories makes me want to hurl.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Part of the problem with these assembly parts is that there just aren’t the ‘encouraging’ experiences out there. So the brother giving the part either embellishes the truth or re-cycles old experiences.

I must have heard the same experiences from a former missionary couple half a dozen times. The reality is that they left the country they were serving in in the late 60’s and have never been back since.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Eyeslice, I remember joking to a friend, what if we go up on the stage and talk about what a drag it is to pioneer, day in and day out knocking on doors of uninterested/not-at-home people, in the dirty slush, bored silly, working our way deeper into poverty? And then started crying right on stage?

LOL

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Fabrication is still a lie, and what happened to the scripture to be truthful in all things?

"It is the lip of truth that will be firmly established forever, but the tongue of falsehood will be only as long as a moment,” Proverbs 12:19.

Lying includes the intention to deceive someone is this not decieving others to believe some dramatic story even if partial truth.

According to the wt... A servant of God ought to love truth.

h4o

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit