Pets and Drinking Water

by cameo-d 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Have you considered the possibility that your pet may actually be reacting to the taste of the spring water, not to any certain additives in the tap water? Spring water tends to taste sweeter than tap water and distilled water (at least IMO, and I've drunk lots of different kinds of water).LOL-I don't know WHY pets like mud flavored water so much, though. All of ours do, too.

Horses are renowned for rejecting new water sources ("you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink"). Horse owners often deal with this by "masking" the new water flavor with sugar, flavored gelatin, or uncarbonated fruit drink powders, which they gradually decrease until the horse is drinking just water, or they will sometimes carry their own water for short jaunts.

We have a Lab mix that absolutely REFUSES to drink water while in the house, unless we put her dish IN her crate!She will drink readily from the same dish just fine outside. Just not IN the house, OUTSIDE of her crate. Silly thing!It's not an issue of tap vs other water in our case, though. We have well water.Our water has a rust eating bacteria in it that is harmless to consume, but makes the water smell awful. We have a filter on our tap, but the animals get unfiltered water, because they don't mind the taste or smell (we have had the water tested, and there was no trace of harmful bacteria or chemicals-just the stinky lil rust eater, which is great for the clothes but bad for the nose).

As far as bottled water goes, are you aware that many bottlers actually use tap water and simply modify its flavor to create their product?There is also the issue of PET from the plastic bottle leaching into the water over time, or when exposed to sunlight during shipping. That is part of the reason there are expiration dates on bottled water.If you are going to use bottled water, it's recommended that you choose a heavier opaque plastic container, or provide your own glass container.

I just recently watched a program that demonstrated how they turn sewer waste water into drinking water in California. It totally boggled my mind!

Sigh- anymore it just seems to be a case of "pick your poison," and sometimes I even wonder about the "anymore" part. I think water quality has been a constant societal issue up to this point and always will be.But I must admit, I am glad to be living in an area of the world where we have at least SOME accountability for the safety of the water supply and access to fairly clean water.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Back when I had cats, they wouldn't drink the tap water. The water was heavily chlorinated and had other additives in it as well (fluoride and sulphur I believe).

After getting educated on the perils of chlorine plus many other contaminants in the water (I live in a town surrounded by agriculture), I purchased a water purifier. I performed an experiment. I put 2 bowls of water down - 1 with straight tap water and 1 with the purified water. The cats' reactions to the tap water was like it was something evil... something poisoned. They actually recoiled from it and slunk away. They drank the purified water no problem.

There's no flies on those felines!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Eldorado Springs is a water source in the foothills of the Colorado Rockies. I hike the drainage area all of the time - it is the purest, most legitimate source of bottled water I'm aware of. The companies most notorious for bottling tap water are the Pepsi and Coca Cola companies - I've forgotten their bottled water brand names, but I wouldn't drink those unless I were dying of thirst.

The Eldorado Springs bottling company uses a very safe form of plastic - one can also go straight to the source and purchase the water on-tap, using one's own containers. I'm VERY sensitive to what I call 'plasticine' - 'plastic'-flavored water - but the Eldorado water totally lacks the 'plastic' taste. However, I store it in the basement, as temperature fluctuations tend to increase the 'outgassing' of petrochemical elements from the plastic. My hubby's a chemical engineer for a petroleum plant, so I'm VERY familiar with what plastic can do - he and I have discussed the problem extensively in the past...

I trust the Eldorado Springs water - but no other brand - oops! Except for Perrier. I do drink Perrier - there WAS a roadside spring in Yellowstone National Park, where one could obtain one's OWN naturally-carbonated water, but the waters from Yellowstone occasionally have naturally-occuring ARSENIC in them, too...

Zid

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

My cat prefers boiled water that has cooled.

• oompa
    oompa

I cant believe the toilet has not come up yet?!?!?.........my cat will only drink from the toilet!.....fortunately we have one that is never used except by him....we have great well water but he will not drink out of a bowl (unless it has a flush handle on it)..........he still walks on water btw..........oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit