Pets and Drinking Water

by cameo-d 14 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

My pet will not drink water from the tap. Absolutely refuses. Will look at the bowl of water and back at me, then back to water, then look at me again as if to try to communicate something. Then, runs outside and goes immediately to a dish of rainwater or stands at the birdbath.

I suspect the tap water has flouride.

I wonder if animals have a keen sense to know something is not right about it?

My pet will not drink distilled water, either.

My pet will only drink spring water from a bottle or rainwater outside.

Does your pet show any aversion to tap water?

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

We live in an area that has water with documented radium contamination. It is supposedly at a "safe" level. We have always used bottled water and now have reverse osmosis unit at the sink. Naturally, we give our pets purified water, but I have to say, they seem to prefer the taste of the unfiltered water. Go figure.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Our dogs drink anything, pool water, mud puddle water, creek water,

I wish they would only drink the tap water we put out.

They seem to be fine.

purps

• VIII
    VIII

My cats will drink any water available. They love tap water, especially if it is running.

I purchased a thing that is a fountain for the water bowl. It pushes the water up and down a little slide and they love lapping it from that. They are spoiled.

I also use reverse-osmosis water, so they are pretty spoiled. Everyone who sees the water fountain for the cats thinks I'm crazy.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

My Dog gets water from the 3 stage Pur filter. Not only that, I let it sit awhile so any chlorine or other contaminates have a chance to evaporate. I will not let her drink regular tap water because of all the junk in it. Same goes for the food, either 100% Organic, or else I make Her food from Human Grade ingredients. I am sure that there are additives to water and food that aren't good for us. It is next to impossible to eliminate all the junk from our and our pets diets, but I do what I can so we don't get too much of it.

Don't even get me started on our foods, Monsanto is Evil, Evil, Evil.

• Lease
    Lease

i am so glad to read from fellow pet caregivers. Water for the pets is from the tap. however, i make blocks (3 inches squared) of ice and put it in their water. and their water bowls are big, none of that little cutsie stuff. i figure when they lick up the water, some of their spit goes back in, so that is why i have the big bowls. and i know i would like ice water instead of warm water to drink, so that is why i make ice for them.

if i could afford to give them stage 3 pur filter water and organic food like ohio cowboy, i would. but, as soon as i can, i will. however, i do make food for the animals whenever i can. the dogs like the chicken stew that i make for them on occassion. i give the scrap chicken pieces to the cats.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Do you really suspect that your tap water has flouride in it??

• Kudra
    Kudra

My dogs love ice cubes. Untiiiiil I introduced them to "Ice Pups". They now turn their noses up at ice cubes and my older dog has actually spat an ice cube across the room and looked at me like, "what was THAT?"

Ice Pups are made in the ice cube tray. The product is a cannister of powder that you mix up: 2 tblsp with one cup of warm water (enought for 1 tray). It is all natural- chicken, barley, alfalfa, etc. It can also be made into a hot broth for them.

You could do this on the cheap with chicken stock, I suspect. That is what I will do next time- "Ice Pups" the product is $15 a cannister. But it makes 30 trays of ice cubes.

• PEC
    PEC

Our cat, Snickers won't drink water from a plastic container, glass only. I don't know why; but, Barbara gives the cats tap water. We have an RO system, so we have an virtually unlimited supply of purified water.

Philip

• ziddina
    ziddina

My dog, like PurpleSofa's, will drink most kinds of water, therefore we have to watch her and restrain her from drinking water from irrigation canals (possibility of farm chemicals, hormones, pesticides, petro-chem fertilizers, etc... YuK!), standing pools (threat of ghiardia [spelling?]), and so on...

Normally she's pretty healthy, however. Slight sensitivity to sugary dairy desserts - the occasional vanilla frozen-yogurt cone, but that's all she can have.

My cats get Eldorado Spring water - which I would give to my doggie more often, if I could afford it. Their water - everyone's - is changed daily, and all water dishes are washed daily, too.

Health and happiness to all your pets!

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit