What good was Field Service?

by BurnTheShips 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I know of two persons who were contacted by the door to door service, one is mentally ill.

This is so antiquated and out of touch with the modern system of things. Walking around in a suit in 100 degree heat is retarded. And that's exactly how we look when we do it.

Now that I think about it, the only people coming to my door are just leaving flyers for restaurants or Insurance.

It really is a pile of doggie doo doo now

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

My Mom was converted via field service ( and Bible studies), then so was my sister and father, so 3 people ( that I know) were converted to the Jw's because of field service.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

None. It ate up all my time--making the first year I did it much more dull and drab than its predecessor. I got dragged around from door to door, where there were pigpens, ugly men, and things I would rather not be around instead of doing anything I enjoyed doing.

Not to mention that they carefully made sure I wasn't going to spend much time with any good "sister", so I would never have that opportunity. They did a perfect (not just a good or thorough, but a perfect) job at sealing out opportunity to meet anyone that would have been suitable for me (that Value Destroyer Training School and using me to plunge the whole world into the Second Dark Ages was more than they could resist). And for what? I rarely even placed a Washtowel and Asleep! on the same person on two consecutive occasions, and I dogged more calls than I helped develop.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

It takes up a lot of time. Then the R&F don't have time to think or question. It reinforces what they are told to believe. It keeps them isolated from "worldly" people

It's quite effective at the true reason that it is demanded from the GB. Isolate, keep them uneducated, don't let them have time to question.

• yknot
    yknot

Let's not forget the original reason ...... to sell publications for the WTS!

Linking this act to salvation/good works/disciple-making........was freakin' brillant in the world of cults.

Time of course has continued roll on and the WTS no longer makes it's $$$$$ selling books but it has tied the practice of 'FS' so deeply into it's interpretation that would be difficult to explain-away should the WTS desire to stop the practice. Yet we will probably see publication output continue to lessened.

Frankly the only $$$$$ making opportunities now for the WTS seems to be the conventions, willed estates (dwindling) and selling off of property.

DC releases are becoming more like 'goodie-gift bags' for attending. I expect more DVDs and brochures. I also wonder if the "Bearing" will be the last BookStudy type commentary for a longtime.....7-10 million free books gets awful expensive if donations are down.

I agree with all the posters who have pointed out that for most part FS has become busywork, a way for those most captive to prove 'loyalty to Jehovah's organization', and of course a ladder climbing (easily faked) action to improve congregational image.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Part of the purpose is to do the "marking work". They are providing the opportunity to those at the door to come into the Truth but their NO answer is just as good as the YES. Because the work of FS is to fulfill the preaching work and give everyone the CHANCE to come into the truth.

I remember talks going over this exact topic, and telling the people that even if they don't get any good doors, it's still fulfilling Jehovah's purpose. I guess this was motivation for wasting so much of your time for nothing.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Busy work, designed to impress.

I couldn't agree more with this statement of The Lord from The Message Bible:

Revelation 3:1 Write this to Sardis, to the Angel of the church. The One holding the Seven Spirits of God in one hand, a firm grip on the Seven Stars with the other, speaks: "I see right through your work. You have a reputation for vigor and zest, but you're dead,stone-dead.

Doesn't this describe JW's pretty well?

Sylvia

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

It stimulates the american economy by burning through tons of gasoline. (And chocolate milk and donuts) - Lime

Love it!!!

*** Watchtower 1985 January 15 p. 29***
    In fact, only Jehovah's Witnesses today follow the example of Jesus' early disciples and help people worldwide to 'call on the name of Jehovah and be saved.

• VIII
    VIII

What was good?

When it ended being able to stop at the local food joint for some lunch. In our area that meant Italian Beef or Chicago style hot dogs.

What was good?

When it rained we usually didn't go and I got to stay home and watch cartoons.

What was good?

It sucked on every level. From the clothing to getting up on Saturday morning when all I wanted to do was sleep in.

When people come to my door now, selling anything from cookies to tickets to the ice cream social, I always purchase something. Always. I can totally feel the pain of walking around, pounding on doors and hoping someone will support your cause.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

When I lost faith , I really got to resent all those wasted Saturday and Sunday mornings, knocking on the doos when I knew that a lot were not at home, [some of the persistant not - homes were just empty holiday flats, but I got sent there anyway]

Upsetting people who were doing whatever normal couples do at 10 o clock on a winter Sunday morning when the curtains are drawn

I got to resent the time I had lost, the other things I might have done, the money I lgave up on lost overtime on Saturdays ..and the sheer waste of a life doing something that I really disliked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit