I need your help'

by Nosferatu 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I read something somewhere that if your hard drive starts to fail, put it in a cold environment. I can't remember where I saw this, but a guy put his laptop in the fridge to get his HD up and running long enough to pull the data from it.

Flash drives are somewhat touchy with their reliability. Apparently they're only good for a certain number of writes before they go kaput. That's why I have my OS and my music on seperate drives. The OS does more writes to the drive, but that may be debateable with the Linux OS since it runs in RAM and writes one backup file on shutdown. I'm mainly using a flash drive for reliability in Winter.

Oh yeah, and BUMP. My video has fallen behind the guy who thinks LAMP environments are cool.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I had never heard that one before.

My hard drive is running fine at the moment. Hopefully, I'll get another one before this one dies. I have my backup now, so I can stop sweating.

Googled around to find out a bit more about the Linux + CF idea and found an interesting article by some Canadian guy with P133.

Cheers

Chris

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

found an interesting article by some Canadian guy with P133.

Oh, you mean my old garage jukebox with the 4 DVD drives? :)

BUMP

I was out of town for the week, and it looks like my video's been getting a bit of help racing its way to the top! Keep the votes coming!

BTW Black Sheep, I did some recording in an abandoned Personal Care Home with nice reverb. I'll probably be putting the song up on my blog in the next little while. It's a cover tune which I did NOT use a karaoke version for, and it sounds really nice. I already like it more than the original.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Wow,

The number of votes has jumped quite a bit since I was there last.

It's interesting to note the ratio of votes to views too. You are ahead of the leading two on that.

Cheers

Chris

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You now have the highest ratio of votes per view, and I didn't do it for you. I haven't been back for ages.

Chris

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK I voted

Tomorrow I will be in Montreal and have access to another computer so will vote again. It should let me back in

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Bump

I'm going to be out of town again this week, and have no clue if I'll have internet access. I got a nice surprise when I got back from my last trip. I have some pretty over-enthusiastic friends with nothing better to do but vote for my video :)

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Nos, yer ding-danged Darlin'.

And your Linux jukebox is cool, too.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I got given a brand new 80 gig hard drive to use for my garage/BBQ area tonight and it appears to be lifeless.

Bummer.

I only have half of my jukebox music out there.

Presently listening to Tijkmo (Ian Gill). I like his combination of soft voice and angry guitar. Liars and Fools is cool.

Cheers

Chris

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Bump.

I got my 80 gig hard drive running. It had a jumper on it that I hadn't even thought of looking for.

Now I have everything that I had in my lounge in my workshop, but I have more control over the 'loud pedal' than I have in the house when the missus is home.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit