Where does one draw the line on whether the origins of a practice make it acceptable?

by insearchoftruth 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

you are on the money. The elders are considered, as one CO once put it, 'the fathers of the cong'....they may make rules and enforce them so long as they do not violate WT mandates....

• Atomahawk
    Atomahawk

"you are on the money. The elders are considered, as one CO once put it, 'the fathers of the cong'....they may make rules and enforce them so long as they do not violate WT mandates...."

And this is a major problem within the organization, depending on the congregation the elders are the ones that often decide on matters of conscience based on their own likes, dislikes, conservative, liberal etc etc etc.

I was of the personal belief that any subject that wasn’t explicitly condemned in the scripture was a matter of opinion or interpretation which can be debated, but that’s as far as it could go. Of course what came from the GB was not open for discussion.

I have heard of many being shunned privately based on the personal standards of the congregation elders or CO which was very unfortunate as many innocent and well meaning persons never moved forward if they stuck to there opinions. Each congregation is molded and very manipulated by the elders or CO that preside over it. I gave a lot of talks in different congregations and could tell what kind of elders ran the place, just by how they dressed, spoke, sincere friendliness, etc. Some of those congregations were so uptight, I would have killed myself if I had to actually spend longer than a few hours their.

I’m glad I left before I ever became an elder, my NOOB (None of our Business) approach would have certainly got me into trouble eventually. LOL

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Some of those congregations were so uptight, I would have killed myself if I had to actually spend longer than a few hours their.

Yep, I've seen that, too.

Each person's WT experience is so different, based upon what congregation(s) they are in.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Each congo seems to have its own ever-changing culture (partly like the worldly culture its territory is in, and partly like the WTS study material and meeting comments). I see it as based on the spiritual strengths and weaknesses its members have, and the mix of "personalities" and "cultural backgrounds". This is much like what we can read of in the Bible. Here I'm thinking of examples as the various congo letters Paul wrote as well as the 7 different congos whom the resurrected Jesus spoke to in the Revelation.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

is anyone else wanting to comment on drawing the lines regarding whether the origins of a practice connect with whether it's acceptable?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

If the ancient origin of a certain day has lost its meaning/significance it is no issue....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Everything has an origin in pagan roots. Even the practices of C.T. Russell would be considered pagan if a JW were to engage in them:

pyramidology, Christmas, numerology, symbolism.

Pagan, shmagan. Sacrificing goats on an alter is inhumane, it don't matter where it came from.
    Wedding rings are not inhumane, it don't matter where they came from.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit