Sigh

by wantarevolution 17 Replies latest jw friends

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

I'm tired, i'm tired of feeling guilty all the time, tired of feeling manipulated into doing something that i am sure that I do not want to do anymore.

I am just back from a few days in Madrid at our assembly. Despite myself i found myself enjoying some of the talks - particulary some on Saturday. But probably not the right reasons. A lot of the talks were based around ourselves and our relationships with others - and I realised - these talks were about being "good humans" not good "christians". I started feeling a bit depressed, because i realised how mindless some of the brothers are, that they have to wait until being told from the platform how not to backbite and gossip etc.

I want out, i really do - I know we are part of a cult (on a side point, my wife was reading something on Wikipedia, and what ever it was led to the article on cults, which states the following definition of a cult ....

1. People are put in physically or emotionally distressing situations;
    2. Their problems are reduced to one simple explanation, which is repeatedly emphasized;
    3. They receive unconditional love, acceptance, and attention from a charismatic leader;
    4. They get a new identity based on the group;
    5. They are subject to entrapment (isolation from friends, relatives, and the mainstream culture) and their access to information is severely controlled

All she said to me was "jeez, it sounds like us" before quickly changing the subject - showing she is ion the same path as me, just a few steps behind.

I just want out - it is that simple , and IF the BIG A does come, i'd at least like to be able to stand there and think "at least I was true to myself"

• mraimondi
    mraimondi

do you really think "god" would judge you badly if you were just being true to yourself?

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

"God" has been painted as someone (at least to me) as someone "exacting exclusive devotion" and us paltry humans as being "unable to direct our own steps".

It is all just the guilt that Flipper spoke of in a previous thread

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

Trust me you have nothing to fear and life on 'the other side' is so much better.

Peace to you, be brave.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I just want out - it is that simple , and IF the BIG A does come, i'd at least like to be able to stand there and think "at least I was true to myself"

Go for it.

I decided that Jehovah was just going to have to kill me if he didn't like what he saw in me. I just couldn't stay in His cult any longer.

That was when I was 15 years old. I am 57 and he still hasn't gotten his lazy arse out of bed to fulfill his 'promise'.

Welcome to the forum

Stick around and learn lots.

Be very careful what you say to your wife. Don't try to start a revolution. I tried that. It doesn't work. It just makes for trouble.

I suggest that you do not 'tell' her anything. Just ask questions. The kind of questions that trouble you.

Cheers

Chris

• Open mind
    Open mind

You need the read the Atheist's Wager. I'll have it for you in a second.

• Open mind
    Open mind

You should live your life and try to make the world a better place for your being in it, whether or not you believe in god. If there is no god, you have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind. If there is a benevolent god, he will judge you on your merits and not just on whether or not you believed in him.

I found much solace in those words when I was going through what you are.

Peace to you.

om

• thomas15
    thomas15

The God of the WT is not the same God of the Bible, plain and simple. I will leave it up to you to decide what the differences are but let me just say the God of the Bible offers His salvation as a free gift for the asking.

If I may make a suggestion regarding your wife. This is just something to consider. Instead of studying the WT, spend some time studying the Bible alone. Place a copy of the NWT and a different translation (example New King James Version) on the table and compare the verses. Maybe you wife will pick up on this and start asking questions just like you are.

Sorry to say, but some Christian churches teach the same thing the WT does regarding salvation thru membership in their particular church. This is not in the Bible.

Others on this board will suggest that you read Chrisis of Conscience. Great book and you should read it and own it but this book may only serve to make you mad at this point. Your not looking for reasons to leave, you want a stragety to leave. I pray that you find your stragety. Ray Franz in my opinion started questioning the WT by his reading of the Bible and comparing it carefully to the writings of the WT.

Disclaimer: I'm an Evangelical Christian, never been a JW.

Tom

• reniaa
    reniaa

Hi wantaevolution

that description also fits Jesus and his followers to in fact they were called the equivalent of a cult.

Acts 24:14
    However, I admit that I worship the God of our fathers as a follower of the Way,which they call a sect. I believe everything that agrees with the Law and that is written in the Prophets,

You are forgetting Jesus was always contraversial then and as his teachings still are now, christendom strips him of everything but a name to call on and leaves us to enjoy satans system and sinning freely. IS this what you want? A Christian church that doesn't care enough to try and council you in doing things that God abhors? the Jw elders and leaders do the job they are assigned to in these times which is trying not to let us get all 'lot's wife' about a time period that we shouldn't be getting attached to, we need the warnings.

It's not the Jws that are saying this will all end around us but the bible and God himself and we must remember that. So trying to be mainstream is not a goal and if like with Jesus and his followers it marks us as 'cult' or 'sect' despised by those on the broader road well it shows we are trying to do 'his father's will' and keep away from the moral turpitude around us that is a mark of Satan and our own adamic sin.

Revelation 12:9
    The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

is the bible lying here?

Reniaa

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi wanarevolution,

I'm tired, i'm tired of feeling guilty all the time, tired of feeling manipulated into doing something that i am sure that I do not want to do anymore.

These are common symptoms of being a JW. Still around and you will see if you haven't already.

It doesn't exactly add up with what Jesus was saying.

Matthew 11:28-30 (New International Version)

28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Either Jesus wasn't speaking the truth or you can't find the real Jesus in the WT. I believe the latter. Why is that? Because He has taken all my heavy burdens and His burden is easy :) All the best, Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit