Have you Overcome " Fear " and " Guilt " Instilled in us by the Witnesses ?

by flipper 41 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Steve Hassan mentions that the 2 main tactics mind control cults use to control people is " fear " and " guilt " .

Definition of fear in the Readers Digest Oxford Dictionary : " An unpleasant emotion caused by exposure to danger , expectation of pain, etc. A state of alarm. Anxiety for the safety of, danger, feel anxiety or apprehension about. " So basically the thought is being afraid of something that will hurt us. Hassan mentioned in his " Releasing the Bonds " book that , " programmed phobias can be so strong that cult members cannot imagine themselves happy, safe, and fulfilled outside of the group. They can generate only negative images of life outside of the cult. When they think of leaving the group, they imagine themselves being destroyed, along with all other nonbelievers , by the fiery judgment of Armageddon . "

Definition of guilt in the Readers Digest Oxford Dictionary : " The fact of having committed a specified or implied offense. Guilt Complex - In Psychology a mental obsession with the idea of having done wrong. " So many times people who have faded from Jehovah's Witnesses or been Disfellowshipped feel " guilty " needlessly because they did not live up to the witness cults standards. But whose definition of guilt is it? The WT societies.

So after leaving the Jehovah's Witnesses are you making strides in feeling good about yourself and your life ? Are you leaving behind the false incorrect sense of " fear " and " guilt " that the Jehovah's Witnesses put into your mind ? It takes time - but you will be happier when you discover the witness cult has no hold on you anymore. As always I look forward to your takes and responses. Thanks ! Peace out to all, Mr. Flipper

• mmentone
    mmentone

My wife who is a recovering witness has been working through these issues the most. Its helped her so much that she has seen a therapist that has been helping her work through these issues. She does great but once and a while she gets worked up when her parents give her the guilt trips.

• yknot
    yknot

Working through it still...... but thanks for posting those tidbits I haven't worked my way up to reading Hassan yet (baby steps- reading CoC very slowly). I think guilt is what I need to work on more since it perpetuates the fear~

mmentone- Welcome to the forum! Would your wife consider joining our little forum too...... it really helps to keep things in perspective after dealing with JW family! I hope to be like her one day.....(I still cave to parents and attend faithfully).....

• mmentone
    mmentone

Thanks! Im sure she will join in time. She has it kind of lucky where her parents live 4 hours away. Part of the whole reason we met was that she moved down to the cities to get away from them and JWs. So now she hopes can can fade out but her parents and sister still give her hell about it. There is the big convention this weekend and they are trying to convince her to go.

• yknot
    yknot

Arrggg..... I just got dragged to part of a DC last weekend as I am visiting JW relatives thru next weekend.

AuntBee has recording of the 2009 DC ..... http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/child-abuse/176277/1/Convention-recording-today-in-Tucson

Many of those fading find talking 'theocratese' to their family is enough to keep them happy and content. To a JW just knowing the fader is aware of literature and events makes them feel like the fader is just 'weak' versus a threat.

How does her therapist suggest she deal with the feeling of guilt and fear so far?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Guilt had me for some time. My wife still struggles with it.

• mmentone
    mmentone

How does her therapist suggest she deal with the feeling of guilt and fear so far?

First it was with some anti-anxiety medicine but now its just realizing that somethings are beyond anythings control and that eventually you will have to face up to it and you will not know how it will react. My family has helped with alot of positive reinforcement. Being surround by people that care about you and let you know that they do does great things for self esteem. For the most part now she feels really good about herself and what she is doing, its just going through the motions now with her family. Everyone deals with stress in different ways.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I'm getting there. It's not easy but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• The Berean
    The Berean

Believe it or not, a turning point for me was the movie "The Wizard of Oz." Watching the movie based on a novel written around the time Russell opened his publishing company helped me to equate the alleged powerful man behind the curtain as a fabrication and that the "yellow brick road" represented percieved fear. Afterwards, when I put it all together I concluded that fear and guilt are acquired emotions which exist only in our minds. At some point I then recognized that true freedom was the acceptance that only "time and unforseen occurance" results in unfortunate events which we fear and that there is no need to feel guilt since the Greater Oz is not really watching at all.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I just keep thinking Borg when I think of JW's. It's really sad beacuse it seems like if they were slightly less phsycotic about rules, that they may have a decent religious package to sell. Oh well........just wishful thinking

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit