My friend made an interesting observation and wanted me to share, very interesting.

by awildflower 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    What I have been trying to understand though, is it impossible for some to see beyond the young girl even after being told the old woman is there? Or do they just choose not to see it and keep focusing on the young girl? Is that what some Witnesses do when confronted with a different way to consider a scripture, Bible story, or doctrine. They can't or refuse to see it any other way than their initial acceptance of what it was?

If the WB&TS said it was a picture of a young woman, most jws who saw an old lady would blame it on demons.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

That is a great observation. I see the organization as something totally opposite as I did when I was stuck in it.

• poppers
    poppers

I agree that it's a great analogy. Now let me throw this in: neither picture is true, they are just lines and colors on a flat surface that are given an interpretation, but that's all it is, an interpretation that arises because of the nature of the mind. Mind tries to make sense out of what it sees, but then it moves into its interpretation and then lives a life based on that fantasy that it has created or accepted as true.

• awildflower
    awildflower

I hope Renaii (sp?) reads this post........wf

• I quit!
    I quit!

Very good illustration. I have tried to figure out for years why I didn't question it sooner and why some never do. I still don't know why but I do know it has to do with trusting the artist and that is why it is important make it known to them why the artist is not to be trusted. I feel that punching holes in the Watchtower is the best way to get someone out rather than doing something like arguing scripture. Even then until they have doubts about the artists intentions will not believe what they are seeing and go along with what the artist tells them is there.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

As for me, I'd like to think that both the old lady and the young one could the same person, drawn interchangeably from the knowledge of the sketcher. Paradise, Lost and Regained, is what the Bible is to me. I see it both ways, but I'm optimistic.

wf, the poster's name you have in mind is spelled Reniaa. Perhaps you could think of her name this way, as the initials of something like this: Reniaa Encourages Nice Interactive Appreciative Answers. At least, I think she does.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Oh yeah! It took me ages to spot the old lady but suddenly there she was, right in front of me all the time.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I'm with your friend 100%. This was the very first avatar I chose for 'AnnOMaly' precisely because it represented my change in perception.

• awildflower
    awildflower

Poppers, I with you! On another post they are talking about 'beliefs' and what doesn one another believe in. But to me it's not about beliefs it's about a state of being, another subject I guess. And Spike Tassel, thank you for the help with the name. Good one AnnOMaly.

• poppers
    poppers

But to me it's not about beliefs it's about a state of being, another subject I guess.

awildflower - yes. And being is what gets missed when attention is placed on beliefs. People live in their beliefs instead of realizing being, the very nature of which is peace and wholeness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit