My friend made an interesting observation and wanted me to share, very interesting.

by awildflower 20 Replies latest jw friends

• awildflower
    awildflower

This is not mine, but my friend e-mailed it to me this morning and I thought it would be great to share........

I was thinking about this laying in bed this morning. Have you ever looked at one of those optical illusion pictures such as the one below. What do you see...a young girl or an old woman? Once you know they are both there, you can close your eyes, look at the picture anew and see the other image. What if I told you that I was a friend of the artist and that this was a picture of a young girl. Would you continue to look for something else? Most likely not, you would most likely see what I told you was there. The same if I had initially told you it was an old woman. Even though there is another way to look at it, you would trust me and look no further. Isn't this what the WT does to people in a way? They say they are speaking for God (the artist) so we see what they tell us is there, in the Bible. It sounds right (just like the picture is that of a young girl) so we don't, or can't, see anything else; we look no further. Now, suppose someone comes along (let's call him an apostate) and tells you to close your eyes and look at the picture again and see if you see the old woman. Suddenly you do! But, until then, your mind was closed to any other image. All of us have closed our eyes and looked again, and this time we saw something else. I have been trying to understand how for so long all of us had, and all the JW's still do, not look beyond the WT's interpretation of scriptures, no matter how wacky it gets. Why didn't we do any independent research but accepted at face value all that was told to us? Thinking about this optical illusion has sort of helped me understand why. We trusted them and never thought about the possiblity that there was another way to look at the scriptures. What I have been trying to understand though, is it impossible for some to see beyond the young girl even after being told the old woman is there? Or do they just choose not to see it and keep focusing on the young girl? Is that what some Witnesses do when confronted with a different way to consider a scripture, Bible story, or doctrine. They can't or refuse to see it any other way than their initial acceptance of what it was? In the real application of this illusion, some people see one or the other right off the bat. I don't know what that tells you about the person, but again, in applying it to our acceptance of the WT, it reminds me how many are drawn into it and others see it right away for what it is. Just some musings today I guess. 2 Faces Optical Illusion
  • leftbelow
    leftbelow

I have used that picture in some of my class room lectures. It is very effective but I had never thought of it in those terms before. That was brilliant!

Thanks

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Excellent! Kind of profound. We need to stop accepting all the 'information' we get simply because we don't have a real reason to disbelieve. Or even, just want TO believe. Looking deeper is a good idea, asking questions, being skeptical.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I'll give you a G for illustrations. Move on to the next point of counsel.

Seriously, that's a fantastic analogy.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Sadly the Gofors see what they are told - until noolite comes along.

"the GB says its an old woman. So it IS"

"the noolite from the GB says its a young girl. So it IS"

We saw this in the Generation changes.

"all the relevant scriptures show" was used in each case. (the same scriptures made to prove more than one thing.

In other words "TRUTH" to a JW is not something factually true or that can be deduced by sheer logic,

"TRUTH" to them is whatever the GB says is true at any given time.

At present they see a young girl. Most of us here see a lying old bag.

HB

HB

• Heaven
    Heaven

Yes. Excellent observations. I have often thought these very things about the WTS. Many times as a child/teen I was struck with "that's not what I think that means." This is one of the reasons I never signed up.

Stephen Covey uses this exact picture on page 26 in his book "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" under a section entitled "The Power of a Paradigm", where he explains the need to understand our present 'paradigm' (mapping or modelling) in order for us to make a 'paradigm shift' or change in our present mapping.

from pg 28: "I first encountered this exercise many years ago at the Harvard Business School. The instructor was using it to demonstrate clearly and eloquently that two people can see the same thing, disagree, and yet both be right. It's not logical; its psychological. ... I frequently use this perception demonstration in working with people and organizations because it yields so many deep insights into both personal and interpersonal effectiveness. It shows, first of all, how powerfully conditioning affects our preceptions, our paradigms. ... Each of us tends to think we see things as they are, that we are objective. But this is not the case. We see the world, not as it is, but as we are -- or, as we are conditioned to see it."

If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it.

• awildflower
    awildflower

I knew you guys would like it! I'll let my friend know and thanks for the book recommendation, always love that!......wf

• oompa
    oompa

damm i was about to post "Where the hell is the old chick?!?!?".........must have looked at it with fuzzy eyes and all for ten minutes!!!....i see a weird white bird with squinty eyes though.......thought it was a joke....but taadaa......at the last sec i saw the old hag...........oompa

• edward612
    edward612

I have seen that before.

• hubert
    hubert

Now THAT was a very good observation. It's a keeper. Thanks for sharing.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit