Martial Arts - what is the present stance of the WTS

by insearchoftruth 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Needing to get my facts straight on this and you all have helped immensely!!!!

If my son were to tell the gentleman running his bible study about his participation in the martial arts, what sort of answer could he expect.....I would suspect a bunch of fluff because they right now would not want to paint the negative and controlling aspects of the WTS.....any ideas?

I would suspect they won't make much of a deal of it now, but if he becomes a witless he will have to give it up. They will probably counsel him on the evils of martial arts and how God disapproves of it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Any form of Oriental discipline is at least discouraged if not prohibited by the dubs. Even Yoga is not accepted because of its origin in meditation.

You can be disfellowshipped for becoming a professional boxer

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Realize, too, that to become proficient in the martial arts, one must spend a lot of money and undergo years of vigorous training. And unless you stay in training, your ability to perform those fancy moves can get dangerously rusty in no time at all. The same can be said about other forms of self-defense, such as boxing. Besides, having a reputation for knowing how to fight is likely to attract unwanted attention. Troublemakers may decide to take you on as a challenge.

I believe this is the true reason behind them not allowing it. It will take you away from the weekly indoctrination and take away from donations.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I studied Kung Fu for a couple of years- it was a great work out, I learned how to fall properly, and it gave me confidence. I'm thinking about starting up again!

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Well the son absolutely loves it........and it does help with his self confidence, discipline and goal setting, I do not see one negative aspect to his learning this!

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Hecklerboy, I really appreciate your comments on this topic! I also feel like martial arts training has really changed my life, even saved it. I've learned more about myself in the past two years than in the previous 29!

Martial arts teaches us duty, honor, and respect; both for ourselves and for our fellow man. We train to fight so that we do not have to fight.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I also explain to the kids and adults in class that participating in a tournament is not just about winning tropheys (althogh that cool). Competition teaches us about ourselves. How we handle defeat and also how we handle victory. It teaches us what we need to work on and that no matter how good you are there is always someone better than you. You learn when you lose. All of my students have to learn the following Creed:

I come to you with only Karate

My empty hands

I am a law abiding citizen

At no time shal I ever use these techiques taught to me

In a manner that will inflict personal injury

Nor will I bodily harm anyone, except in cases of emergency needs

Whereby my honor, life, country, or the lives and physical safety of other

May depend upon my knowledge and application of these techniques

This is my Creed

Karate

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

By the way, that whole thing of MA being created in monestaries is a fable, no proof of that whatsoever.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    By the way, that whole thing of MA being created in monestaries is a fable, no proof of that whatsoever.

Thanks......but it must be true, I read it in the WT or Awake.....yikes!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

insearchoftruth,

Nah, its a fable, there have been some very good studies ovr the last few years and al that shaolin orgin stuff is a myth, certainly not verifiable.

Revolutionary may have hid in the temples and such, and some monks trained in MA to protect the temple, but that was a case of MA being introduced to religion, not a case of MA coming from a set religion, besides, the oldest MA were probably African or Greek and as such, PAGAN at best
    LOL !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit