Martial Arts - what is the present stance of the WTS

by insearchoftruth 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I have read before that the WTS is against the martial arts....I do not have a WTS CD, so was wondering if there is any WTS literature to support this?

• blondie
    blondie

There is plenty on various forms along with life stories of people who gave it up to become jws. I am wondering if the www.watchtower.org site might have something on it. I'm off to work.

Blondie

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

*** g95 9/22 pp. 12-14 Should I Learn Self-Defense? ***

Young People Ask . . .

Should I Learn Self-Defense?

"There's this really bad gang in school," says Jesse. "If they see you in the hallway and want your sneakers, jacket, or even your pants, they take them. If you report it, they'll get you again."

COPING with violence has become a way of life for many youths. Said the magazine USA Today: "About one of every five high school students carries a firearm, knife, razor, club, or other weapon on a regular basis. Many carry them to school." A teenage boy named Jairo knows this firsthand. "Our school was the first [in New York City] to have metal detectors," he says, "but that doesn't stop the kids from having knives and guns. I don't know how they get them in, but they do."

Understandably, the threat of being assaulted has many youths thinking about how they can protect themselves. Young Lola observes: "After a girl from my school was stabbed to death for her earrings, they began teaching self-defense courses in school. Almost everyone signed up." Other youths have resorted to carrying chemical sprays and other weapons. The question is, Do self-defense methods really protect you?

The Martial Arts

They show it on TV all the time-martial arts experts flipping through the air, kicking and punching with the grace of a dancer. Within seconds the bad guys lie motionless on the ground. Amazing! The martial arts seem like the ultimate protection. In reality, though, life isn't like the movies. A man with years of experience in karate said: "It takes just a bullet. If a person at a distance has a gun, you don't stand a chance. If you're too closed in without any room for movement, it's not really that great either."

Realize, too, that to become proficient in the martial arts, one must spend a lot of money and undergo years of vigorous training. And unless you stay in training, your ability to perform those fancy moves can get dangerously rusty in no time at all. The same can be said about other forms of self-defense, such as boxing. Besides, having a reputation for knowing how to fight is likely to attract unwanted attention. Troublemakers may decide to take you on as a challenge.

There is a greater danger, however, in learning the martial arts. The Economist magazine recently reported: "Most, if not all, of the martial arts are inextricably linked to the three main East Asian religions, Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism." Another source adds: "Everything done in karate-every movement, every feeling-can be traced to some principle of Zen." Zen is a sect of Buddhism that emphasizes religious meditation. These religious roots pose a serious problem for Christians in view of the Bible's words at 2 Corinthians 6:17: "‘Therefore get out from among [false worshipers], and separate yourselves,' says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing.'"

Use of Weapons

What, though, about packing a gun or a knife? Doing so may indeed make you feel confident. But that confidence could prove fatal if you started taking unnecessary risks or courting trouble. Warns the Bible: "As for the one searching for bad, it will come upon him." (Proverbs 11:27) And if uninvited trouble comes your way, pulling out a weapon is sure to escalate the conflict. You could get killed-or end up killing someone else. How would God, the Source of life, view your actions if you could have avoided using violence?-Psalm 11:5; 36:9.

True, some do not really intend to use lethal force. They may say they carry a weapon just to scare off harassers. But says Health magazine: "Firearms instructors agree: Don't get a gun if you aren't prepared to use it. Waving a firearm around as a bluff can scare off some assailants, but will only enrage others."

What about "safer" weapons, such as chemical sprays? Besides the fact that they are illegal in some places, these weapons have serious drawbacks. Instead of immobilizing a drug-crazed attacker, they may only succeed in infuriating him. It is even possible that the wind might blow the chemical into your face rather than the attacker's-assuming you get the spray out in the first place. Seeing you rummaging through your pockets or purse, the assailant may assume you are reaching for a gun and decide to take some aggressive action of his own. One police detective thus comments: "There is no guarantee that mace [a chemical spray], or any other weapon, will work. Or that you will have it out in time. Weapons never help a situation. People put too much faith in them."

Weapons-The Godly View

The threat of violence was real back in Jesus' day. One of his most famous parables, commonly called the parable of the Good Samaritan, related an incident involving violent robbery. (Luke 10:30-35) When Jesus asked his disciples to equip themselves with swords, it was not for protection. In fact, it led to his stating the principle: "All those who take the sword will perish by the sword."-Matthew 26:51, 52; Luke 22:36-38.

True Christians, therefore, do not arm themselves so as to harm their fellowman. (Compare Isaiah 2:4.) They follow the Bible's advice at Romans 12:18: "If possible, as far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men." Does this mean being defenseless? Not at all!

Wisdom-Better Than Weapons

In an age when there seems to be a gadget for everything, it may surprise you to know that you can have at your disposal a means of defense that is far more effective than any man-made device. At Ecclesiastes 9:18, we read: "Wisdom is better than implements for fighting." This wisdom is more than what some call "street smarts." It is the application of Bible principles, and it can often help you to avoid violent situations in the first place.

Jairo, for example, who earlier described his violent school, steers clear of trouble by applying the Bible's words at 1 Thessalonians 4:11: "Make it your aim to live quietly and to mind your own business." Says Jairo: "If you know there's going to be a fight, you have to mind your own business and go home. Some hang around, and that's when they get into trouble."

"Letting everyone know I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses is my best protection," states young Lola. "People leave me alone since they know I'm not going to be a threat to them." "It's more than just saying you're a Witness," adds Eliu. "They should see that you're different." Christians must be "no part of the world." (John 15:19) But be careful not to project a superior attitude. (Proverbs 11:2) One youth put it this way: "Don't walk down the hallways as if you own the place." This could trigger resentment. Relates a Christian youth named Luchy: "I'm friendly, and I talk to my classmates; but I simply don't act like them."

How you dress is also important. "I'm careful not to wear things that attract attention," says one youth. "I figure I don't have to wear the most expensive brands to look good." Following the Bible's counsel to dress modestly may help you to keep a low profile and avoid trouble.-1 Timothy 2:9.

If You Are Confronted With Violence

What, though, if in spite of your efforts to stay out of harm's way, you are threatened with violence? First, try to apply the principle at Proverbs 15:1: "An answer, when mild, turns away rage, but a word causing pain makes anger to come up." Young Eliu did so when he was in school. He says: "Sometimes it's just a matter of not taking aggressive statements so seriously. In a lot of cases, it's how you respond that causes the trouble." By refusing to "return evil for evil," you may be able to keep a situation from getting out of hand.-Romans 12:17.

When diplomacy fails, however, you must take steps to protect yourself. If a group of youths demand that you give them your sneakers or some prized possessions, give them up! Your life is far more precious than the things you possess. (Luke 12:15) If violence seems imminent, walk away-better yet, run away! "Before the quarrel has burst forth, take your leave," says Proverbs 17:14. (Compare Luke 4:29, 30; John 8:59.) If escape is impossible, you may have no choice but to ward off violence as best you can. Afterward, be sure to let your parents know what happened. Perhaps they can help out in some way.

Just as the Bible prophesied, we live in violent times. (2 Timothy 3:1-5) But toting a gun or learning karate kicks will not make you any safer. Be cautious. Use godly wisdom when faced with trouble. And above all, have faith and trust in Jehovah. Like the psalmist, you can confidently pray: "From the man of violence you will deliver me."-Psalm 18:48.

Bangalore

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

*** g84 12/22 pp. 12-16 Wado-Kai Karate-The True "Way of Harmony"? ***

Wado-Kai Karate-The True "Way of Harmony"?

TENSION filled the air. The Dutch karate team championship was under way. At the referee's "hajime!" (Japanese for "start!"), my opponent and I squared off for action.

He was burly-bigger and heavier than I was. But I sensed his lack of experience. I feinted a movement. He attacked furiously, punching and kicking. I lured him into another attack, and when he exposed his lower ribs, I delivered an explosive punch.

Spectators winced as he smashed to the mat and painfully gasped for air. His body shook violently, then suddenly froze. An eerie silence fell. A doctor rushed to the scene and sent him to the hospital. I really got scared. ‘Could it be . . . could it be that he is dead?'

After this incident in October 1971, I was determined to stop participation in such competitions. I stuck to that decision, although it was another seven years before I quit karate completely.

But how did I get interested in karate in the first place? Why would I give it up? And what happened to that injured fighter?

Love at First Sight

To pursue further schooling in electronic engineering, I left my native Suriname for the Netherlands in September 1965 and settled in the city of Hilversum. Shortly thereafter, a friend invited me to see the introduction of a new sport, wado-kai karate. To please him and to satisfy my curiosity, off I went.

I found myself spellbound as Mr. Kono and Mr. Fuji, two Japanese teachers, demonstrated the basic movements. It was different from what I expected-no brawling, street-fight scenes, but beautiful, balletlike movements. They were in perfect command of their lightning-fast bodies. For me it was love at first sight. Already I could feel the karate jacket around my shoulders.

Though 24 years old-too old by karate standards-I signed up for lessons. ‘Just to have something to do for the winter months,' I promised myself. But that winter turned out to last over ten years.

"The Way of Harmony"

The word "karate" is Japanese for "empty hand." Different styles originated in places like Korea, Okinawa and Japan. Wado-kai (Japanese for "way of harmony") centers around two practice styles: ma (the proper distance from one's opponent) and kiai (timing, or finding the best chance to attack). Also flexibility is stressed. As with all karate, wado-kai is influenced by Zen Buddhism, emphasizing the conditioning of the mind in harmony with the body.

During the two-minute karate tournament matches, one scores with kicks and punches directed at vital parts of the body. Although blows to the body are legal, rules forbid actually touching the opponent's face with one's fists. However, mistakes are sometimes made, which is illustrated by what happened when my wife, Hannie, tried her hand at karate. I explained how to aim a punch to the face but to freeze at the tip of the nose. Hannie zeroed in a punch-and a good one at that-but forgot to stop at the critical moment, slamming right into my face, splitting my lips and causing the only injury in my karate career. The next day my swollen face elicited a barrage of embarrassing inquiries!

"The Dutch Stringbean"

I began with three hours of training a week. There is no such thing as ten easy lessons, or instant karate. As one teacher said: "A master of [martial arts] develops slowly, like a ginger root. Mild in taste when young, it becomes hotter and spicier with the passage of time."

"Could you assist in teaching karate?" asked my sensei (teacher) when I won most of the training matches.

"Teaching? Of course!" The result? More time in the dojo (training hall).

In the spring of 1968 my sensei said: "Try tournament karate-fighting." I didn't need much prodding. Unexpectedly I was made captain of our karate school team and was to make a notable debut during the May 1968 championship for teams from the Netherlands and Belgium.

Since I look fragile with my 66 kilograms (146 lb) on a 1.78-meter (5-ft 10-in.) frame, one sports magazine dubbed me the Dutch Stringbean. But what I lacked in weight and power I made up for with technique, speed and calculation.

I became the national champion of the Netherlands in 1971. The authoritative Black Belt magazine listed me twice (1971 and 1972) among the "Top 10 European Karatemen." In April 1972 I graduated as a karate instructor.

Despite these successes, however, something occurred in the autumn of 1971 that made a dent in my idealistic view of the "way of harmony."

Facing "the Big Cat"

At that time I was among the candidates vying for the European Karate Championships in the Pierre de Coubertin Hall in Paris. I was pitted against the perennial champion of France, Dominique Valera. Valera, packing 90 kilograms (200 lbs) on a 1.8-meter (6-ft) frame, was known as the Big Cat. He had a reputation for going all out to get his man with ankle sweeps, fast, powerful front kicks and a murderous roundhouse. Now it was my turn to face him. With a national TV audience looking on and a crowd of 7,000 cheering him, he looked poised to shatter my championship dreams and some ribs as well. Black Belt magazine described the fight:

"Dominique . . . figured to walk all over the Dutch stringbean . . . but the rapidly improving Dutchman grabbed Dominique's early front kick and pumped in a punch to the astonished champ's head for a clean half-point. . . . Again some shuffling by Valera, and again the big maegeri (front kick) shot out. Proving that the first time was no fluke, La Rose grabbed the leg and zinged in another picture punch to Valera's head."

Here I was scoring the only points against the champion during the whole tournament, causing the biggest news at the championship! It was a clear-cut victory. Or so I thought. Black Belt continued:

"The referee, realizing that it was a French audience and that another half-point would put an end to Valera, ignored the punch. As if guilty by association, the crowd remained quiet throughout the remainder of the match."

The fight was over. I walked up to the line expecting to be proclaimed the winner, but the referee awarded my opponent! The surprised Valera hurried away. We filed a protest. After deliberating for half an hour, the president of the European Karate Union ignored the complaint and signaled the fights to continue. The tournament went on with Valera as champion at the end.

This brazen dishonesty in a sport that has the fist and the dove (symbols of power and harmony) as its emblem shattered an illusion. The fist was still there, but, to me, the dove had gone. Little did I realize that I was only two years away from finding a surpassing way of harmony that proved to be real in both word and deed.

Hearing Bible Truth

I always had a deep respect for God and I valued prayer. My wife and I had been raised as Roman Catholics. Ever since our marriage in December 1971, we have prayed together when faced with problems. I had a Bible but had many questions about it. So when two of Jehovah's Witnesses visited me in Amsterdam one Friday morning in January 1973, I didn't hesitate to invite them in and hear their answers. That initial contact was very pleasant. After that, every Friday, for seven months, they came and studied with us the book The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life.

By that time I had finished my schooling, and we decided to move back to Suriname. Before our departure the Witnesses invited us to their home and gave us a surprise farewell party and some Bible publications as a present. Their loving patience and faithfulness in conducting that Bible study with us left a warm, lasting impression on our minds and hearts. We would not forget the truth we had tasted, although it took another year and a half before the ‘watering of the seeds' resumed.

Starting My Own Dojo

My new job for the Surinamese government required moving to a small settlement close to the airport, about 50 kilometers (30 mi) from the capital, Paramaribo. We did not know any Witnesses there and so did not continue our Bible studies.

I did get some visitors though. They were karate fans asking me to start teaching wado-kai. Although I had stopped sharing in competitions, I still loved karate as a sport and agreed to open my own dojo in the capital.

Before long I spent four days a week teaching karate. I would leave my regular job with the government right after work at two o'clock in the afternoon and would not get home until ten o'clock at night. I also arranged sightseeing trips for my students on Sundays and during their school vacations. ‘Just to keep them off the streets,' I told myself. After karate lessons, I talked with them about their school and family problems.

Through all of that, I failed to realize that I was badly neglecting my own family. The more time I spent in teaching the "way of harmony" to others, the more it disrupted the harmony in my own family. Whenever my wife asked me to look after our children, I reacted irritably, being too busy with other people's children. Hannie was hoping for a change.

"Are You Witnesses?"

That change came in May 1975. Hannie spotted two persons visiting all the houses in the village. She waited anxiously till they came to our house. "Are you Witnesses?" she asked, before they could say a word.

"Well, yes, we are."

"Come in, please. Can you continue studying the Bible with us?"

The startled Witnesses were very willing. But again the Bible study was interrupted when I went to the United States for further training in electronics, and later my wife and children went to the Netherlands for some months. Only at the beginning of 1978 did we settle back to a regular life, and as soon as we were ready, the Witnesses were back again.

Facing the Decision

This time the study continued without letup. In time I realized that what I was learning from God's Word did not agree with my love for karate. For one thing, Paul's words that "bodily training is beneficial for a little" conflicted with all the time I was devoting to sports.-1 Timothy 4:8.

Further, as the Witnesses emphasized to me, karate has as its objective hurting an opponent, which can kill or seriously injure a person, even unintentionally. Although this was true, still it was hard for me to accept. How could I forgo all that I had pursued so zealously for 12 years?

I agreed with the Scriptural counsel not to trust in weapons for self-defense because they have often caused the death of innocent people. (Ecclesiastes 9:18) ‘But was practicing karate really comparable to possessing weapons?' I reflected reluctantly, recalling what Isao Obata, co-founder of the Japan Karate Association, once remarked about karate: "The mind is the gun and the body the bullet." ‘Could Jesus' words, "Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword," refer to practicers of karate?' I pondered uneasily. I knew I had to make up my mind.-Matthew 26:52.

One day at school I gathered all my pupils, mostly high school students. Instead of another bout of karate, the perplexed students heard their sensei speak about Jehovah God, explaining that martial arts are not in harmony with the Bible. They listened quietly as I told them that I had decided to close the school for good.

Since I was obligated to finish the semester and supervise examinations, I couldn't quit right then and there. Of course, this posed a danger and could weaken my decision. But the 1978 "Victorious Faith" International Conventions came right on time to fortify me.

I had never attended an entire convention. Other years I had turned up just for an evening or so. But this time I took a leave from my job. When the convention started, my entire family was on hand.

We thoroughly enjoyed it. For me it was nothing less than a revelation. All the virtues I had tried to pursue during my life-respect for God, value of prayer, love for fellowman-I saw all around me. ‘This is the true wado-kai [way of harmony],' I thought and was moved to thank Jehovah for this strengthening experience.

Several months later, on December 24, 1978, my wife and I were baptized and looked forward to a new episode in our lives.

Something Better

That decision has led to many blessings. The family tension has gone. We are united as never before and have the deep joy of seeing our three daughters growing up as worshipers of Jehovah.

Since my baptism I have not used karate again. But several years ago something happened that could have triggered it. One night I woke up and discovered a thief in the house. Instead of resorting to karate, I figured the best defense would be to scream. And scream I did! After many years of silence, an old-fashioned, bloodcurdling karate yell exploded from my mouth. It worked! The thief sped away, and at the same time I was happy I did not resort to karate but used a safer means of defense.

Oh, yes, I still want to tell you what happened to that injured fighter that was rushed to the hospital. He did not die. My punch had broken three of his ribs. I am sorry for that, but I am relieved that I did not load bloodguilt on my shoulders.

In thinking back, I have only one regret: I should have stopped karate sooner. It took me almost six years after my first Bible studies to take my final stand for Jehovah. I am very grateful to these faithful Witnesses who did not give up on me and patiently kept encouraging me to make the right decision. How glad I am that I found the surpassing way of harmony!-Contributed by Harold La Rose.

[Blurb on page 13]

My wife zeroed in a punch but forgot to stop at the critical moment, slamming right into my face, splitting my lips

[Blurb on page 14]

The fist was still there, but, to me, the dove had gone

[Blurb on page 14]

I walked up to the line expecting to be proclaimed the winner, but the referee awarded my opponent!

[Blurb on page 15]

In time I realized that what I was learning from God's Word did not agree with my love for karate

Bangalore

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I was never allowed to take karate growing up but now that I'm an adult and out, I"ve been training for over 4 years. I received my Black Belt last year and now I teach a class in my area.

Learning a martial art is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I've learned allot about myself and made friends with a wonderful group of people that love me for who I am and not what I believe. Karate was there for me when going through my divorce. The dojo is where I find peace and I can recharge myself after a long day.

The martial arts teach discipline and respect. Something most people have forgotten nowadays. Knowing that I'm making an impression on the future generation of this country makes me proud to teach. I always tell my students to study hard in school and make good grades. The parents tell me that they pay attention to that and try harder in school because I tell them that. You couldn't ask for anything better.

I highly recommend taking some form of martial art, be it karate, ju-jitsu, or tia chi. Any of them will make your life better.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Looked at the official site, search on 'martial' came up with one article, but for martial law, no hits for search on 'karate'.

The reasoning on thier teachings amazes me, how birthdays should not be celebrated due to the 'origin' of the celebration being with the wealthy and the supposed mention of birthdays in the bible are only associated with bad things (but don't read the first chapters of Job - Job should only be associated with the suffering of the witnesses) but then wedding rings, honeymoons, now even pinatas (where I have read an article that they are now ok because no one associates them with the origin), and wind chimes are now acceptable in spite of thier origins.

I can understand how some folks can associate the martial arts with fighting and in that case maybe even discourage it....but based on the origin...what a bunch of......

• blondie
    blondie

*** w83 7/15 p. 25 par. 15 "Seek Peace and Pursue It" ***

However, for private self-defense, might not the Christian take training in the martial arts, such as the Chinese Kungfu? Let it be noted that this most lethal of the Oriental arts was developed more than 1,400 years ago by Zen Buddhist monks of the Shaolin Monastery on the slopes of Songshan, one of China’s sacred mountains. From this religious source came also the martial arts of Japan—Bushido, meaning, literally, "The Way of the Warrior." Many experts in the arts of judo, kendo and karate still draw inspiration from religious meditation. Karate has as its objective incapacitating the victim, which could result in serious injury or death. Surely, those who trust in Jehovah would not turn to the martial arts for defense!—Proverbs 3:31.

If a sizable number of Witnesses in a congregation should be disturbed in that someone is hunting animals merely for sport, and not for obtaining food, he might not be in position to receive special service privileges, because of his offensive reputation.—1 Timothy 3:2.

It is similar if one of Jehovah’s Witnesses insists on carrying or having firearms for protection against humans, or on learning the martial arts. The spiritual elders should take immediate steps to counsel and help him to remedy the situation. (Micah 4:3) Anyone who thus continues to carry personal arms or otherwise equips himself to become "a smiter" would cease to qualify for special privileges in the congregation.—1 Timothy 3:2, 3.

w761/1p.7InsightontheNews

Loveof Violence

More and more young people are committing violent crimes. A recent report issued by the social research center of Hong Kong’s Chinese University points to one contributing factor. According to the report, 77.5 percent of 1,000 youthful lawbreakers investigated by the center belonged to Kung-fu organizations. Over half of these youngsters were Kung-fu motion-picture and magazine enthusiasts.

Kung-fu, a Chinese martial art, has even had detrimental effects on children of kindergarten age. Not long ago, Winifred Frost, the headmistress at Parklands Infants’ School in London, England, appealed to parents not to permit their children to watch television programs featuring such arts. She explained: "We have had two or three children injured . . . These little children were beating each other up in the playground."

Do you want your children to engage in violent acts? "Jehovah himself examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one," declared the psalmist David, "and anyone loving violence His soul certainly hates." (Ps. 11:5) How vital that Christian parents everywhere talk in a kindly way with their children, determine their interests and control their reading, entertainment and associations!

g79 10/22 p. 11 Wise Counsel Protects Against Crime

The so-called martial arts, like judo and karate, are another increasingly popular method of defending oneself. These martial arts train a person to use his hands and body to either injure or kill an opponent, so, in reality, they, too, are weapons. Their pagan background and military usage also raise questions as to their propriety for Christians. Can you imagine the apostle John defending himself with karate chops or Jesus Christ fighting off an opponent with kung fu tactics? (See the December 8, 1975, issue of Awake!, page 28, for a more detailed discussion of this subject.)

g75 12/8 pp. 28-29 Should One Train in Judo or Karate?

What Is the Bible’s View? Should One Train in Judo or Karate?

IN MANY parts of the earth there has been a real surge of interest in judo and karate. What accounts for this? And what does the Bible say that has a bearing on training in such arts?

In some places judo and karate are viewed as just a "sport" that provides healthful exercise. So some persons who are interested in physical fitness might feel that such training is comparable to swimming or general calisthenics.

Yet there is no question but that a prime reason for the interest in judo and karate is the hope that they can be used for self-defense if necessary. In many countries people are concerned about the dangers of being mugged or otherwise assaulted. Many men and women believe that having skill in judo or karate is a safeguard.

In order to evaluate the matter in a balanced way, it is good to have in mind just what judo and karate are, what their background is, and what proficiency in them might involve.

Basically, judo and karate are methods of unarmed combat that originated in Japan. As forms of combat or self-defense they are classed as bushido, which means "The Way of the Warrior." One encyclopedia pointed out that bushido "had its sources in Buddhism, Shintoism, and Confucianism." Ancient Japanese warriors trained in these techniques so they could bare-handedly fight armed or unarmed enemies.

Thus both judo and karate are rooted in offensive or defensive violence. The EncyclopædiaBritannica (1971) describes jujutsu, from which the modern form called judo developed, as: "A system of fighting without weapons. The object is to cripple or possibly kill the antagonist." And the IllustratedWorldEncyclopedia says: "The object of judo is to kill or so injure an attacker as to make him completely defenseless."

Karate is even more violent and dangerous. As E. J. Harrison points out:

"Karate resembles both jujutsu and judo. But as a purely ‘fighting art’, designed to dispose of an enemy in the shortest possible time with no means barred, I think we must admit that it transcends them both in its deadly efficacy. And why this should be so will appear from the fact that a single karate technique, if executed in earnest, is capable of inflicting fatal injury upon its victim more surely and speedily than either jujutsu or judo."—TheFightingSpiritofJapan, p. 74.

Unquestionably violence is on the increase world wide; we cannot and should not ignore that fact. But does a person who wants to align his thinking and actions with the Bible feel compelled to resort to training of this sort? And even if a person’s interest is mainly physical fitness, is this sort of training an advisable way to keep in good condition?

The Bible does not categorically condemn self-protection, even the use of force if necessary. But authorities in the field of protection from crime often stress that reliance on a weapon—whether a gun, a knife or techniques such as judo or karate—is not the wisest course. In most cases what are primarily needed are reasonable precautions to avoid dangerous situations. Good sense usually provides far more protection than physical prowess or weapons. Rather than urge that someone ‘trust in the arm of flesh,’ the Bible recommends that a Christian place confidence in Jehovah, realizing that He is able to provide a spirit of wisdom even at times of crisis.—Jer. 17:5; Phil. 4:6, 7.

Proverbs 3:31 says: "Do not become envious of the man of violence, nor choose any of his ways." Christ’s counsel and example prove that he agreed with and applied what the proverb said. (John 8:59; 10:39; Matt. 10:23) Accordingly, Christians seek to avoid violent encounters. When faced with threat of violence, they resort to flight when practical. They show thereby that they are not trying to "return evil for evil" or to rectify this system’s injustices, but are waiting on Jehovah to express wrath against evildoers.—Rom. 12:17, 19.

A related principle that Jehovah intentionally included in his Word is: "As far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men." (Rom. 12:18; 1 Pet. 3:11) A person responsive to that advice would certainly consider how it applies in connection with training in "The Way of the Warrior." Also, he or she would not disregard this consideration: What conclusion would neighbors and other observers reach if they see a Christian who espouses ‘not learning war anymore’ choosing to learn the military or martial arts of unarmed combat? (Isa. 2:4) True, some have reasoned that such training is solely for self-defense. But even in the military many of the weapons and training procedures (including judo and karate) that are "for self-defense" are also employed offensively.

In Japan judo and kendo (swordsmanship) have in recent years become required training for youngsters in school. However, in the Japanese mind there is an unmistakable link between these techniques and the military arts. So young dedicated Christian witnesses of Jehovah there decline participation in this training. And some school authorities have taken a reasonable position, not forcing these students to share in what is viewed there as conflicting with the advice to ‘beat swords into plowshares and not learn war anymore.’—Mic. 4:3.

Whether a person considers training in judo or karate as for self-defense or merely for exercise, another aspect should not be overlooked. One Japanese writer pointed out: "The art of jujutsu is an important ally on the field of battle. Even in practice one should try to imagine one’s opponent an actual enemy." Jesus Christ, however, counseled: "Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those persecuting you."—Matt. 5:44, 45.

Hence, no matter what a person’s motive in considering training in judo or karate might be, he should have in mind how that training would affect his outlook. Would it be aiding him to apply Jesus’ words "love your enemies" or, rather, stimulating just the opposite attitude?

As to special exercise for the sake of keeping fit, each person has to decide for himself whether such is necessary and, if so, what form it will take. The apostle Paul’s counsel to Timothy was: "Bodily training is beneficial for a little; but godly devotion is beneficial for all things, as it holds promise of the life now and that which is to come."—1 Tim. 4:8.

So, if exercise or bodily training is engaged in, it should not be allowed to encroach upon or overshadow your interest in spiritual matters. Physical recreation should not become the ‘big thing’ in life. The Christian knows that it is not bodily training that holds promise of eternal life. Nor is it the contents of your wallet or purse. What contribute to everlasting life are things such as sincere application of Bible principles, pursuit of godly devotion and being at peace with God.—1 Tim. 6:6-8, 11, 12.

Interestingly, most jws are unaware that Tai Chi is the first level of martial arts. Because the WTS does not address it directly, many feel it is okay.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art26665.asp

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

The Society always puts the martial arts in a bad light. They never speak of all the good it does. How it gives people self-confidence and self-esteem. How shy little backward kids become strong confident adults. They've obviously have never seen the sparkle in a young childs eye when they get promoted to their next belt level or when they learn a new kata.

And as for teaching, it's one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. I have one 11 year old girl in my class that runs and jumps in my arms at the beginning of class and calls me her step-dad. Her family life sucks and she really needs something positive in her life. Another student gets made fun of at school and is very un-coordinated. Yet he tries very hard in class and will probably get student of the year.

I've also had one of my teenage students us his training to stop a drugie from pushing drugs on his friends.

It's sad that the Witnesses only see the bad in everything. They need to open their minds and see that this is a wonderful world that we live in.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    They need to open their minds and see that this is a wonderful world that we live in.

Very true Hecklerboy......the world may have its faults, but as a whole it is pretty good.....much better than the dark ages.

Since my wife has been studying again, her attitude on about everything really sucks, and I can understand, if all you ever hear is the bad points about everything......

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Since my wife has been studying again, her attitude on about everything really sucks, and I can understand, if all you ever hear is the bad points about everything......

Every time she talks about how bad things are make sure you mention something good in the world. Like people rescueing animals or helping homeless people. Talk about what a great day it is. Show her that life is what you make it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit