Dubs can see lord of rings,not harry potter

by gumby 11 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Interesting how the witnesess once again show a double set of standards with the watching of these two movies. Harry Potter is a definate no no, but watching Lord of the Rings is ok.
    Both movies have wizards. Anyone noticed this?

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

There must be some reasonable explanation for this. Maybe the WT said it was ok to see Lord of the Rings. If it is good enough for the WT, it is good enough for the Rank and file.

I wonder how many JWs snuck into Harry Potter?

• dmouse
    dmouse

This is indeed strange.

My congregation has no problem with Harry Potter - all the kids have been to see it that want to, including mine. I enjoyed it.

Next Watchtower...'Movies with witches in them: Just harmless fun?'

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

once again you fools look for something that isn't there..
    sooner or later we will all hear stories of how an elder
    "df'd" someone for watching harry potter while he has lord o
    the rings on DVD......yes remember anti's...if it bothers the
    conscience of one JW it must be wathchtower policy.....do we
    now begin to debate how dubs should not use calenders becuase of
    the pagan origins?

• gumby
    gumby

UNITY THEY SAY!!!! What unity is there when some areas or congregations ok one thing and another area or congregation looks down on it.
    Harry potter would definately not fly in my area.

• DIM
    DIM

general opinion in suburban Philadelphia:

harry potter BAD
    LOTR GOOD

although there is a couple going around telling everyone how demonic LOTR is.

i'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight-short-sighted-narrow minded hypocritics. all i want is the truth just gimme some truth - John Lennon

• gumby
    gumby

Nytelecom1: ...if it bothers the
    conscience of one JW it must be wathchtower policy
    Actually in all fairness to the dubs....other christian faiths have the same problem. Snickering to others how bro/sis went to see one of the mentioned movies.
    I however do think the dubs are a little more extreme than others in a case like this.
    The conscience you mentioned here is strongly developed by the society. With other churches it is the pastor and his associates that can influence the individual.
    Each one should be convinced IN HIS OWN MIND as the bible says.
    Not someone elses mind.
    Have a good one

• willy_think
    willy_think

I don't know if you guys are familiar with J. R. R. Tolkken or the lord of the ring but he was a Christian and wrote from a Christian perspective. There is good and evil portrayed in the books and the movie but the victory of good over evil parallels Christian beliefs. I would not hesitate to say that these books will be considered among the most important literary works of the 20th century.
    Bill

The Great and Powerful Oz:

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
  • NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Minor stuff like movies are pretty much 'see at your own risk'. Yes, many dubs would frown upon Harry Poter and not let their kids see it (meaning the kids are the ones with no real choice since whatever their parents say goes). Same with R rated movies. Pretty much, most dubs watch some R rated movies. You just can't get caught So it's a 'don't ask don't tell' thing.

I remember when my parents busted me for watching R rated movies - they acted like it was the end of the world, and I was evil incarnate for doing so. Satan was running my life!!!! On no!! They made me tell the elders about it - and the elder was like, "oh you realize why this is bad .... WT 87 page .... be careful w/ entertainment.... blah blah blah" all the while he's snikering because he's like "why the hell is he worried about this - I watch them all the time!"

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Tolkien is the Grandfather of all fantasy writing in this genre.

All most all wizards, elves, dwarves and such are derived from his writings.

Who knows though? Probably some CO has a bug up his ass about one or the other. Probably a PO with no kids.

Slipnslidemaster: MerryChristmas!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit