Family Vacation in Colorado. Suggestions?

by M.J. 14 Replies latest jw friends

• chickpea
    chickpea

mesa verde!

http://www.nps.gov/meve

walking in the footprints,
    literally, of an ancient and
    disappeared people....

• seek2find
    seek2find

You might want to check out the South Fork area. There is a place there called the River Bend resort. We stayed there several years ago. It was simple but nice and peacefull. Also not to far away is Creede which is a neat minning town. I really like that area. Have fun! seek2find

• Quandry
    Quandry

Just got back from a vacation in Colorado.

Went up Pike's Peak on the Cog Railway. A wonderful experience! All along the way the scenery is fantastic. The rail cars were made in Switzerland. At the top it is freezing, with snow. Take a sweatshirt or jacket with you. Drink plenty of water along the ride, or you can get altitude sickness.

Yes, Garden of the Gods. The visitor's center has a great video that explains the geographical formations before you go. There are all kinds of hiking trails through the garden.

Many other things to see around Colorado Springs. Check on line or send for a visitor's guide.

By ALL means go to Royal Gorge. We did the ECHO CANYON raft/rail day. The first half of the day you raft down the Arkansas river. The rapids are a level 2 or 3. Enough to be very fun, and you must paddle, but not really dangerous. (rent the wetsuit) Then you are provided with a nice lunch under a large tarp. Then you change back into your clothes and the train comes right there to pick you up. You ride through the stunning gorge, looking 1,000 feet up on both sides, and go under the Royal Gorge bridge.

Also, Rocky mountain National Park was wonderful. One trail (paved) takes you to an aluvial water fall. I could have spent all day there enjoying it. Take plenty of water wherever you go, and comfortable shoes. We saw elk and bighorn sheep. We drove up the mountains (scary) and went to the Continental Divide. Was pleasantly cool there.

If you go, you and your family WILL enjoy it immensely!!!

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks for the suggestions. They are great. Plenty to consider.

WTWizard: ha ha good one! I think I'd go ballistic if the Mrs. even suggested that!

• Quandry
    Quandry

One thing I did notice-you said something about the dog. Please check the rules in Rocky Mt. National Park. I do not think dogs are allowed.

They are allowed, however, in many places in Colorado Springs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit