Watchtower and the occult?-outrageous accusations

by cameo-d 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Is the catholic encyclopedia considered an approved outside reference source according to WT?

• shamus100
    shamus100

Looks like WT is in bed with the Pope.

OH GIMME A BREAK!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Is the catholic encyclopedia considered an approved outside reference source according to WT?

Must be. They've been referring to it since at least the '50s - perhaps longer, I don't know. I haven't heard any JW in authority 'forbidding' other JWs from looking at outside source material (not saying it hasn't happened - only I haven't heard it).

Yes, there'll be some nutty statements from time-to-time about how anything Christendom's religious leaders say is "basically worthless." (w.2008, 4/15, p.6) Those kinds of comments cannot be taken seriously because if the Society frequently quote from outside religious sources, their sayings are not that "worthless" then, are they?

I've heard speakers on the stage quote theologians, Christendom's Bible commentaries, etc. There are JW apologist sites with articles quoting from outside religious sources. If I showed up to a meeting with a Catholic Encyclopedia under my arm, it would be met with curiosity rather than condemnation (there's perhaps one who would make some negative comment that I can think of).

But as you say, these sources are used judiciously. The Catholic Encyclopedia reference in the Aug. WT is neutral - just for providing background. Otherwise these sources tend to be used to corroborate a WTS understanding ('see, we're not the only ones who think this, so we're not that kooky').

thomas15

Naturally, there are going to be notable differences between Ladd's and Russell's views - 'classes' having different destinies would complicate things - but the point I was making was that Ladd believed in an 'earthly hope.' He said (quoted from a secondary source, I'm afraid, so hopefully it's accurate):

"In typical dualistic Greek thought, the universe was divided into two realms: the earthly or transitory, and the eternal spiritual world. Salvation consisted of the flight of the soul from the sphere of the transitory and ephemeral to the realm of eternal reality. However, biblical thought always places man on a redeemed earth, not in a heavenly realm removed from earthly existence." - A Commentary on the Revelation of John, p.275.

I hope that goes some way to answering your question.

• thomas15
    thomas15

AnnOMaly,

Thank you for your response which is helpful. I happen to have two of Ladd's books, not the one being quoted but rather one on the Kingdom and another on New Testament theology. I have not read either of them yet. I picked them off the shelf last night for a brief look see, Ladd is a hard read for sure! He is very technical. In truth, I cannot decide if I want to invest the time that reading Ladd would take.

Although the question is un-answered for me, I don't think Ladd see's a "heaven of earth" paradise "lasting forever" kind of guy. As you might know, Ladd was a professor of theology at Fuller Theological Seminary, a seminary which started out based on the concept of inerrant Scriptures, but after the founder (Charles Fuller) died, the school started moving away from that position. I purchased Ladds books to get an idea of his theology but I have a lot of books in the que right now! From what I can tell, Ladd is basically "neo-evangelical" which puts him in the same camp as Billy Graham from a theological prespective. Ann, may I ask, what is your position on the Bible?

Thanks,

Tom

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit