Harry Potter vs. The Wizard of Oz

by LDH 15 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Perhaps some here would like to expound on why it is ok for Witness kids to watch the classic film "Wizard of Oz" but Harry Potter is out?

Aren't the two the same thing? A fantasy about another realm? Aren't they both about magic powers and Wizardry?

Why is it ok for the crusty old farts to have a movie from their generation but the younger generation can't have Harry Potter?

Lisa
    Just wondering class

• teejay
    teejay

Hi, Lisa.

Two things:

1. I'm a first rate amateur movie critic.

2. I haven't seen Harry Potter.

okay... three things...

3. The Wizard of Oz is arguably the best, all-around movie ever made. (If you don't believe me, I'll send you a term paper including a PowerPoint presentation...)

I guess I need to go see the dang Potter movie to see why it's inferior, 'cause I know it is.

• Seeker
    Seeker

Double standards, of course, and shallow thinking. Potter is overt in its wizardry. Wizard of Oz has very few scenes of the wizard himself.

It's like why JWs can see a movie about the spirit world -- as long as it's a comedy, like Heaven Can Wait, or even Ghostbusters. But if it's serious, Ghost (which is basically Heaven Can Wait in many ways), or Poltergeist (like Ghostbuster, but deadly serious), they can't go.

• gumby
    gumby

My daughter and son in law won't even allow their two kids to see the
    Wizard of Oz because of the witch. However this weekend they are all going to see Lord of the Rings.
    No wonder Jw's grow up more disfunctional than the average kids.
    How confused they must get over issues like this.

• joelbear
    joelbear

The Wizard of Oz has music and happens in an imaginary land therefore the magic is not taken as seriously, more of a fantasy environment whereas Harry Potter is presented as a real boy in a real world setting that includes the practice of sorcery, magic and fortune telling. The same is true of Lord of the Rings. It happened in a fantasy world.

That is my take on the JW view.

For me I loved Harry Potter and I am seeing Lord of the Rings this afternoon, but because I am a homosexual, if I said I liked any movie more than The Wizard of Oz, I would lose my Gay Card, my back hair would all fall out and I would be haunted for a fortnight by the ghost of Judy Garland.

Somewhere over the rainbow dreams come true.

Joel

• DIM
    DIM

joelbear -

i'm not sure if you are a fan of The Flaming Lips, but the singer, Wayne Coyne is a HUGE fan of The Wizard of Oz, and everytime i've seen them live he's done a stunning rendition of "somewhere over the rainbow"

most people in my area think the wizard of oz is demonic, harry potter is demonic, but the lord of the rings is OK. Although there is a couple going around on an ANIT-LOTR campaign right now.

i'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight-short-sighted-narrow minded hypocritics. all i want is the truth just gimme some truth - John Lennon

• ballistic
    ballistic

I think it's something to do with the greek word for saucery is something to do with drugs:

• ballistic
    ballistic

p.s. to all you yanks, philosiphers stone is the title of the film over here. Not sure why?

• Xena
    Xena

sigh...when we had the bookstudy at our house I had to pull all my daughter's Disney tapes that had witches or magic in them out and put them in the back room....so no one would be offended...don't even get me started.... JW's [8>]

• Seeker
    Seeker
    p.s. to all you yanks, philosiphers stone is the title of the film over here. Not sure why?

Because literacy rates are so appalling in America they were afraid we wouldn't understand what was meant by "philosopher."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit