JW District Convention Cyprus

by Joe Grundy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Hi!

This article was in the Cyprus Mail today (Sat 27 June):

Jehovah’s Witness convention in Limassol next weekend

JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES will discuss their beliefs on the end of the world during their three-day district convention in Limassol next month.

The convention will be held at the Spyros Kyprianou Athletic Centre Palais de Sports from July 3-5.

Throughout the weekend the convention “will highlight an analytical and reasonable – as opposed to fanatical – approach to the subject”, a Jehovah’s Witness press release said.

On Friday the convention will touch on why keeping watch is important and the importance of keeping spirituality alive in families. Saturday’s programme will highlight the dangers of indifference and apathy regarding the upcoming world events foretold in the Bible, while Sunday’s session will contrast popular views with the Bible’s definition of the end of the world.

A special feature on Sunday afternoon will include the modern-day drama, “Your Brother was dead and Came to Life”, based on Jesus’ parable of the prodigal son.

The programme will be presented in Greek, English, Turkish and Russian and will be translated into Arabic, Polish, Rumanian and Bulgarian. Representatives are expected from England, Greece and Turkey.

Jehovah’s Witnesses invite all to attend and learn more about these topics.

Programme sessions run from 9.20am to 4.55 pm on Friday and Saturday and to 4pm on Sunday. Admission is free and no collections will be taken.

I have sent a letter to the editor for publication:

Dear Sir

Jehovah's Witnesesses - District Convention

I read with interest that the JWs are to hold a convention soon.

They are an extremely active religion and are always seeking to make new converts. In Cyprus their target audience includes the many foreign workers from developing countries.

To many, they are regarded as a 'cult'. The organisation was founded by Charles Taze Russell in the late 19th century in the USA. He studied the pyramids and decared that the world would end in 1914. This did not happen, so later dates were provided.

The sad thing about this cult is that if one joins it, especially by baptism, it is hard to leave.

They practise 'shunning', which means that someone who leaves has absolutely no contact with members who are 'still in'. This can include mothers, fathers, and so on. I have a friend who has never been allowed to see her grand~children because she dared to leave the religion.

Those who are interested may wish to visit http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/

Yours etc

Chris Pope
    Paphos

*PLEASE DO NOT PUBLISH MY NAME OR E-MAIL. I HAVE FRIENDS WHO ARE JWS.*

For information.

Regards

Joe Grundy

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Any comments?

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Bump

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

JWs are particularly active here in Cyprus with 'targets' from developing countries, including Phillipines, Bangladesh, etc.

My neighbour downstairs in the complex is under way with 'studies' with a couple of Nepalese young ladies.

Our local neighbours called round yesterday with mags in Tagalog for my wife.

It seems that people from the 'developing world' are now the primary target.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Sorry, bumping again.

But if anyone else wants to send a letter to the paper the address is 'editor@cyprus-mail.com'.

I leave it with you.

• Quandry
    Quandry

If only those folks from other countries are computer savvy....and would look up some of the history behind the organization as the poster did. But of course the "target audience" generally is not.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Just realised that my JW friends (and yes, they are friends despite it all) would have counted numerous hours for talking with me and the bride.

Husband and wife (them) and daughter about 8 - giving me some mags and a chat in the supermarket. Husband and wife (them) and daughter finding and passing on to my wife mags in Tagalog (put them straight into the garbage, dear, I know what I'm doing) must add up to quite a few hours.

Very sad, I think, and the two Nepalese young ladies would have a better time (excuse me for this) if they went out and got laid on a Sunday afternoon.

Cheers

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I apolgise for bumping my own thread - but if you really want to influence things, may I suggest that a letter to the newspaper (the most widely-read paper in the English language here) may have an effect?

I do my best, but I can't do it alone!

• Gayle
    Gayle

I emailed a letter just now..thank you for the email address. Definitely the Watchtower Society needs exposure of negative ways.

The 2008 Annual Report of Jehovah's Witness shows:

Increase last year of 5%,,2008 peak publishers (those that report time) 2,233, , 98 people baptized.

What I wrote to the editor:

I am writing regarding Jehovah's Witnesses. Most people there are sincere however they are required to dedicate their life at baptism to the Watchtower Society, the "spirit-directed (???) organization". No independent thinking is allowed thereafter. Then, all their thinking is done for them. The Watchtower Society at one time banned vaccinations, organ transplants, blood fractions and later okayed for their members without any apology for those that suffered and died needlessly. Could the Watchtower okay blood transfusion also some day? The threat of disfellowshipping, expelling, shunning (required of members even toward their own blood relatives) holds their members abusively from using and stating any free thought.

Check: "jwfacts.com", "freeminds.org" and "ajwrb.org."

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    Listen to WTS VP Fred Franz in 1975 about "1975" at:
    http://youtube.com/v/oaXbBVVoeEQ This is a fact, spoken at convention by their Vice President then, of which, is denied by the leadership (Governing Body in New York, now consisting of 9 members). The Watchtower ploy of false prophecy is dominant throughout its history.

The Watchtower organization needs much exposure on hurting its members. Also, it has a track record of getting funds from its foreign members, which at some point much goes to the U. S. headquarters, where there is multi-million dollar buildings in New York.

***********************************************************************************************

• Gayle
    Gayle

Sorry, those statistics were for Cyprus itself.

Also, please any who are inclined, to write the editor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit