Long time reader.....first time poster

by JWinprotest 43 Replies latest jw friends

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

Hello everyone, my wife and I are currently associated with JW's. My mom converted when I was 3 years old in 1975, my wife was born after her parents converted. About 4 years ago however, my wife and I have seen many things that have discouraged us enough to start doing some research into the validity of this religion. Much to our horror, we now understand why the organization fights so hard to keep its members away from the internet. Needless to say, my wife and I are both convinced that this is not the truth, in fact there are not many religious organizations out there that are further from it. At first, we decided for the sake of not getting disfellowshipped we would just go through the motions. I was an MS at the time and was very agressively being groomed to become an elder. I eventually resigned, because I found it more and more difficult to give talks on subjects I did not believe in, citing health problems as the reason. Even though we were frustrated we accepted this new lifestyle of living a lie for the sake of keeping the family together. (Although my parents are divorsed, primarily due to the WTBS)Everything was ok until my daughter started school. She got invitations to birthday parties, she was introduced to Christmas festivities among other holidays, and of course the national anthem. At this point we have decided that our children will not be subjected to a JW upbringing, however on more than one occasion my daughter started singing the national anthem and other holiday songs at the KH. We immediately would hush her up, hoping no one else heard, but a few months ago after telling her to stop singing my daughter gave me this sad and utterly confused look on her face, and it just broke my heart to pieces. She was so proud that she knew all these songs by heart and she wanted to show off for her friends at the KH, and I give her this stern warning never to sing those songs outside the home again. It was then that I turned to my wife and for the first time told her I want out. The problem is that my wife and her mom have this incredible bond, they are almost like best friends, and she told me she does not want to jeopardize that. So now I'm stuck, trapped in this pool of lies, and there is nothing I can do about it. Over the last year I have been compiling scriptures and evidence from the internet should the day come that we break the news to our families and explain, should they let us, why we are leaving. I must thank the people on this forum as most of my best material is from here. I am really sorry for going on so long, I just wanted to give everyone a little background as to what I am going through. Thanks for listening.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Let me be the first to welcome you..from the Australia branch your story is simular to ours, you will find much comfort here...post a topic anytime!

• minimus
    minimus

WELCOME!

Don't do anything until you count the cost. I've so far successfully faded but it took a lot of planning. Some will tell you the best thing they ever did was just up and leave. I think we all must do what we individually feel is best for us and our families. Good luck!

• blondie
    blondie

Hello everyone, my wife and I are currently associated with JW's. My mom converted when I was 3 years old in 1975, my wife was born after her parents converted.

About 4 years ago however, my wife and I have seen many things that have discouraged us enough to start doing some research into the validity of this religion. Much to our horror, we now understand why the organization fights so hard to keep its members away from the internet. Needless to say, my wife and I are both convinced that this is not the truth, in fact there are not many religious organizations out there that are further from it.

At first, we decided for the sake of not getting disfellowshipped we would just go through the motions. I was an MS at the time and was very agressively being groomed to become an elder. I eventually resigned, because I found it more and more difficult to give talks on subjects I did not believe in, citing health problems as the reason. Even though we were frustrated we accepted this new lifestyle of living a lie for the sake of keeping the family together.

(Although my parents are divorsed, primarily due to the WTBS)Everything was ok until my daughter started school. She got invitations to birthday parties, she was introduced to Christmas festivities among other holidays, and of course the national anthem. At this point we have decided that our children will not be subjected to a JW upbringing, however on more than one occasion my daughter started singing the national anthem and other holiday songs at the KH. We immediately would hush her up, hoping no one else heard, but a few months ago after telling her to stop singing my daughter gave me this sad and utterly confused look on her face, and it just broke my heart to pieces. She was so proud that she knew all these songs by heart and she wanted to show off for her friends at the KH, and I give her this stern warning never to sing those songs outside the home again.

It was then that I turned to my wife and for the first time told her I want out. The problem is that my wife and her mom have this incredible bond, they are almost like best friends, and she told me she does not want to jeopardize that. So now I'm stuck, trapped in this pool of lies, and there is nothing I can do about it. Over the last year I have been compiling scriptures and evidence from the internet should the day come that we break the news to our families and explain, should they let us, why we are leaving. I must thank the people on this forum as most of my best material is from here. I am really sorry for going on so long, I just wanted to give everyone a little background as to what I am going through. Thanks for listening.

• Diva
    Diva

Excellent post and welcome to the forum.

Hope you and your family propser with you newly found freedom.

Diva.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Well, bless your heart and welcome to the board.

There is no easy way out of WT, as you are well aware.

I'm currently neither DF'd nor DA'd; I have a daughter who is a zealous JW, so I can feel your pain.

About your little girl: I would not hush her, but would tell anyone who interfered that I have no intention of crushing my child's spirit.

That should shut them up - for a while anyway!

Sylvia

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi JWIP and welcome aboard!

Glad you found out the truth about "the truth". I pray you find the real truth before too long :)

John 14:6 (New International Version)

6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

He will help you out of your predicament and much more!

All the best,

Stephen

• looloo
    looloo

welcome why not be crafty and make out you had been looking up cults because your annoyed that some call jws a cult (what is a cult ) and show mother in law the few defining factors and see if the penny drops , if you just steam in there with ex jw stuff the shutters will come down and she wont listen . i really feel for your poor child she will be so confused but you have to act soon or you could loose her one day to that religion, the sense of relief i felt when i walked into school and said my kids can now go in assemblys and we are no longer involved with jws so they can do xmas stuff again my kids were happy too , it was a married elder falling for me that got me out no longer scared of armageddon ! sow a few seeds with mum in law , good luck x

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome to the board. Personally I would think of my daughter before ANYONE ELSE( Mother, father JWS etc:)It is HER head that is getting screwed up.
    Imagine her little mind, learning one thing at school,& another completly differant
    at the Kingdem Hell. Your going to turn her in to a nut case.PLEASE think of YOUR OWN
    1st Timothy 5:8 (read it please)...Sorry to be so forceful. But I am thinking of your little one.
    I did what your doing to mine...TRADGEDY!!!!!!!!!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome, sir.

Please read Steve Hassan's most excellent, "Combatting Cult Mind Control" if you have not already done so. You'll be glad you did.

-LWT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit