Regional Identities in the UK - A short guide for Americans

by besty 56 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

A Geordie is someone from the Newcastle area of the North of England eg...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Newcastle-upon-Tyne?

Where have I heard that before?

Is that computer in the picture logged onto JWN???

Sylvia

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

I live in Buckinghamshire, one of the beautiful home counties just outside London. Out here the air is breathable (compared to the city) and we also enjoy the luxury of changing gear in our motor vehicles (unlike Londoners who are always stuck in gridlock), but we are just an hour away from the London nightlife (if that is your kind of thing). London has a wonderful atmosphere, is very cosmopolitan, and a great place to hang out day or night.

But out here in the home counties we enjoy magnificent scenery, not with the same ruggedness as Scotland, but with the beauty and serenity of old English charm. Dotted around the prestigious area here are a lot of the rich and famous, and this is very good for employment. This is where we spend all of the money made from north sea oil, among other things.

It is a great place to stay if you would like to see London, but also has great access to the rest of the country. Oh, and we all have the lovely English accent and drink tea, play cricket and are just so polite and gentlemanly and well mannered. We would be delighted if any foreigner would care to visit. Our hospitality is second to none…….

PS Oh.. and just a word of warning….. up north is a bit of a shit hole to be honest………

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I hear English cooking is second to none! And in the north apparently, they eat something called haggis. I hear it makes headcheese or chitlins sound like haute cuisine!

• caliber
    caliber

Say Majestic you make quite a poet and tourist guide !!!! ...

But out here in the home counties we enjoy magnificent scenery, not with the same ruggedness as Scotland, but with the beauty and serenity of old English charm. Dotted around the prestigious area here are a lot of the rich and famous, and this is very good for employment

Oh, and we all have the lovely English accent and drink tea, play cricket and are just so polite and gentlemanly and well mannered. We would be delighted if any foreigner would care to visit. Our hospitality is second to none…….
  • caliber
    caliber

I don't want to pretend I know more about Britain than our English friends here ..but I did do

a little reading about Geordie accents a few years ago, it is a fairly different accent from the rest so stands

out and can be a source of jokes as follows . (for Snowbird )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1zfG9No12Y

• besty
    besty

Haggis is a Scottish delicacy made by chopping up the parts of a sheep you wouldn't normally consider edible and cooking it in its own stomach. You get rid of the stomach bit before you eat it.

Deep fried in batter and combined with fries and brown sauce it makes a popular end to a beery evening :-) those are pickled onions in the photo - not sheeps eyes which are another (less well known) Scottish treat

• besty
    besty

At the risk of hi-jacking my own thread did I mention I also ate a sheeps head whilst on business in Iceland?

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

newcastle is on the border of scotland that is why they have such a pronouced accent, although GB is full of very different regional accents, scousers (liverpool, the beatles) mancs (manchester) brummies (birmingham,woverhampton,etc) cockneys (londeners, southern softys)

sadly as as wobble says immigration is diluteing GB, as is television. i come from nottingham which once had a very well known accent with expressions such as "hey up me duck" which are very rarely heard anymore. in fifty years GB will just be a melting pot with no identity.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic
    Deep fried in batter and combined with fries and brown sauce it makes a popular end to a beery evening :-)

Arrrrh….. Scottish cuisine…. Deep fry just about everything……

Although, rumour has it that Britain’s most popular dish was invented in Scotland, when an Indian restaurant was opened and they served Chicken Tikka for the very first time, but because it is a dry dish, and apparently not good enough for the Scott’s, one of them decided to ask the waiter if he could have his Indian dish with ‘gravy’, at which the chef got some tomato sauce and threw a few spices into it and mixed it with the meat, inventing what is now the most popular dish ordered in Britain….. Chicken Tikka Masala…….

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit