Full time service among ex JWs

by joelbear 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

JoelBear,

I noticed that pattern too. I sometimes feel like the flunky ex-JW here. Until I realize I have want many of you had: a zeal for truth.

Many of us were studious, learning every little thing about the JW faith. Most went on to full time service of some form or another.

My ex often asked me why I was leaving the JWs. My answer was that it was the same reason as why I joined, truth. When I thought they had the truth, I joined; when I realized they didn't, I left. One advantage was that it made it easy to leave. I knew I wasn't doing anything bad.

More commonly now, I notice that JWs are like most religions. They join, but do not realize know why they hold their beliefs. It does not take much to find that the average JW cannot defend even the simplest of beliefs. This will become more pronounced as time goes by. The Knowledge Book converts JWs without telling them why they believe basic doctrine. The lack of scriptures in that book is appalling.

If the WTBS was smart, this is the one thing that can save their religion. Most JWs do not care about the UN, or the blood issue, or 1914 generation change. Like many religious people, they just ignore the problems. If they ease off the demands and have each publisher sell magazines for say 5 hours/month, then over time they would prosper.

Service is now not preaching, but putting in time; most publishers do a token number of doors with shoddy presentations. About half or more of the morning is spent at coffee break. Most count the time, including elders.

What will cause the demise of the religion, because they are too stupid to see they could easily prosper, is the excessive demands the JW faith places on its members. They are not allowed to have a life, to have fun. Just attend boring meetings and preach. This alone will cause a decline, because many JWs just become inactive; believing but not practicing the faith. Basically, they just give up and decide to go out and have a life and fun before Armaggedon kills them.

Richard, who is sorry for wandering off topic...

Richard

• metatron
    metatron

The rumor was, years back, that a Gilead missionary lasted
    about two years, on average. Also, the first 6 months to a year
    are a waste because they end up sick from disease and parasites
    that they have no experience of immunity to. Being laid up
    for months is common - and they can't expect much help from the
    organization either - Jack Redford gave a surprizing speech
    once on the topic - it was called "Don't expect anything from
    anyone" or words to that effect - Gilead types land in some
    awful third world airport and nobody from the branch picks them
    up - that kind if thing.

metatron

• TR
    TR

Interesting topic, Joel. I complement you on your very active and inquisitive mind.

I, too, was more involved than most, even though I had an "unbelieving" mate and three small children. My days were occupied with:

1. work

2. study for meetings

3. prepare speaking parts for meetings

4. study with children

5. get children ready for meetings(not easy!)

6. as a ministerial servant, take care of cong. accounts

7. field service in street work every day before work and Saturdays

8. go to meetings Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sunday(FS Sat)

9. not to mention all I took care of at home as a good husband and family man

10. go to assemblies without wife and kids instead of vacations with family

This went on from '84 to '94. Finally, "burnout" sets in and I leave, never to return.

TR

I'm gonna make mince meat outta that Osama!

• TR
    TR

Neon,

Although I do give some credence to the theory that the most devoted and hardest working are also likely to become the most disillusioned when they become aware of the facts.
    BINGO!

TR

I'm gonna make mince meat outta that Osama!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Joel,what a good post!You and the others have hit the nail right on the head.Once you reach a certain postion you see a lot more...OUTLAW

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I believe this is true to some degree. On the other hand, most Witnesses have pioneered at some point or another in their lives. Recall any part that asked for a show of hands of people who at one time or another were in the full time service and probably 80% of the congregation put up their hands.

I also believe that any "full time" work with the society is generally a temporary thing for most people. Generally, marriage or family obligations put an end to it or depression and fatigue cause one to enter that downward spiral into inactivity.

Path

• RR
    RR

I have a friend at bethel, who stays because he has no family and he is very sickly, so he has no choice and just goes along with the program

• Mulan
    Mulan

For those who asked about Gilead graduates: My stepfather, who died in August, at age 84, was a graduate of the second class of Gilead. He is mentioned in the '83 yearbook too, as being in Holland after WW2. He had a nervous breakdown, while there, and had to return to Seattle, where he married, and served for a time as a Circuit overseer in Canada and in Missouri, and then he was in the congregations here, until his death. He developed a drinking problem, after that and it was kept a secret by all who knew. He quit drinking about 25 years ago, and probably shouldn't have. It medicated him, and I think he needed something, maybe Prozac? So, they don't all have a happy time. He was a JW until his death, though.

He eventually developed a form of dementia, Alzheimers perhaps, but died of cancer. He always talked fondly of his Gilead time, and the missionary assignment he had.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• JAVA
    JAVA

Richard,

Service is now not preaching, but putting in time; most publishers do a token number of doors with shoddy presentations. About half or more of the morning is spent at coffee break. Most count the time, including elders.

Seeing the Witnesses going door-to-door is like watching a slow-motion movie. It's not possible to walk slower, or dawdle longer at "not at homes" than JWs doing time. You're right about coffee breaks, too. You'll find more JWs counting time at Donut Shops on Saturday than sleeping at Kingdom Halls on Sunday.

• RR
    RR

Wow, look what the cat dragged in ..... JAVA!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit