Who would WANT this wicked system to go on any longer?

by JWdaughter 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TD
    TD

The idea of doing away with all unjustice in the world is very appealing. I would like to see "wickedness" end as much as anybody, but the JW price (The death of 99.9% of humanity) is far to high. I don't know how anybody can long for that and not feel ashamed at some level

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I doubt anybody really wants the world to end -- no matter how sad, hurt, bitter, resentful, sick they may be.

Of course we all can and do talk lightly -- especially if we deeply know this is not going to happen right now (and religious indoctrination about the "end of the world" and even a "new and better world" weighs very little against the basic sense of reality which ties us to the one real world with its good and its bad, its beauty and ugliness).

If a JW who claims s/he doesn't want the "wicked system of things to go on" were handed the button to switch it off instantly, would s/he press it?

In his last movie, The Sacrifice, Andrei Tarkovsky puts his main character (Erland Josephsson) before such a choice. In a dreamlike world-end situation (but you can never tell whether it is actually a dream or real, that's precisely Tarkovsky's grand art) he must go to the point where what he really wants will happen -- not knowing what he really wants until he gets to that point.

This is reminiscent (to me) of the Gospel sayings about "whatever you ask in real belief will happen". They beg the sobering question, "what would we ask for if we really believed it will happen?"

Religious talk remains pathetically unreal as long as it lacks this kind of faith.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

It's sort of like people who feel suicidal. They don't really want to die, they just want something bad to end and can't think of any better way to end it.

There's nothing wrong with wanting war, epidemics and famine to end...or even diminish....everyone wants that. I would hope there's a better way to deal with all of that than exterminating the vast majority of human beings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit