Are You Paul or are you Saul?

by reniaa 347 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus100
    shamus100

Spike Tassel,

On behalf of all of JWN, I would like to thank you for your 483rd post in about one month.

I thought that I had no life.... thanks for making my day.

If you're looking for someone to go out with, Reinna is single. Hintitey hint-hint.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Yo, Shamus! Post 492 now, it's a great life right here on JWN. Lots of interesting folks with all their views. Lots of opportunities to widen out in my love and respect for people and their stories.

As to the matter of "going out with Reniaa", that's quite premature, though we're "friends at first sight" in my honest opinion. It will be interesting to watch as the days turn to months and years and decades. Perhaps your instincts will be the way the future plays out, perhaps not. Birds of a feather do flock together, even if they don't share the same nest. LOL.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Spike,

Stephen: all I can say is … context, context, context!!! My Post 451 was specific to the phrasing in Romans 8:9-10.

OK, far enough, my apologies. I though we were talking about the visions of John.

Anyhow, so what does this verse mean to you?

Romans 8:9 (New International Version)

9 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

Do you "belong to Christ"? Does the "Spirit of God live in you"? Are you controlled by the Holy Spirit? All the best, Stephen

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

We're now focusing on the words of the "Apostle Paul", though the attitude of "Saul the Pharisee" may be held by some on JWN, whether contributors or viewers only at this stage. I hope I have a spirit such as the "great crowd" of "other sheep" have who are under the direction of "Jehovah God", his son "Jesus Christ", and the "144,000" (who are noted collectively as the "bride of Christ").

After what discussions I've interacted in here on JWN, I now hold the view that the "Holy Spirit" can be correctly understood as the "spirit of holiness", which those exposed to the spirit of Jehovah and Jesus can have if they apply themselves correctly to the aspects of holiness, as found in God's Word, the Bible. So, I take it that the phrase in the NIV in Romans 8:9 "but by the Spirit" means "but by the spirit [of holiness]". That is to say that I understand that our "spirit of holiness" is able to be seen in our lives as reflecting a likeness to the "spirit of holiness" seen in Jehovah's dealings and those of Jesus. After all, Jesus is "the image of God", and spiritual humans as "made in God's image".

To the extent that my understanding agrees with that of Christ and Jehovah [so that I have a "spirit of holiness"], to that extent my spirit is in union with theirs.

Now, I bring to our collective attention the refreshing Clear Water paraphrase (by Jack J. Blanco) of Galatians 5:22-23 [with my contextual clarifications in brackets, like this].

22. Now the by-product of the Spirit is totally different [from the by-products of your depraved human nature]. You can easily see this for yourself, because His [God's] product is love, joy, peace, patience, endurance, kindness, gentleness, compassion, goodness, faithfulness, loyalty, dependability,

23. teachableness, self-imposed discipline for the sake of the others, and wholesome and healthful living. There is no law against such things. Quite to the contrary, the laws in the Scriptures emphasize the importance of this kind of fruit. If those who are telling you to be circumcised are in harmony with God, then why isn't this fuit seen in their lives?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello Spike,

OK the Spirit lives within you. Are you baptised in the Spirit then?

Matthew 3:11 Mark 1:8 Luke 3:16 John 1:33 Acts 1:5 Acts 2:38 Acts 8:16 Acts 10:47 Acts 11:16 1 Corinthians 12:13

All the best,

Stephen

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

I note that 1 Corinthians 12:13 goes in quite a different direction from the other references you provide. None of them work for me personally. Even your conclusion that "the Spirit lives within [me]" is not supported by my words above, I suggest.

Jack J. Blanco's Clear Water paraphrase of Hebrews 5:11-14 appears to cut to the essence, at this juncture. Perhaps these words apply to both of us, but in different ways. Jehovah reads our respective hearts, not each other.

11. I would like to tell you much more, but it's difficult to put all of this in writing, especially since you're already have a hard time understanding what I've told you.

12. By now you really ought to be teaching others about Christ's ministry, but it seems you need some more instruction on a number of topics, especially on the most basic principles of salvation that God taught us in the Scriptures. So, rather than giving you solid spiritual food, I need to give you some more spiritual milk.

13. Now anyone who needs spiritual milk is still growing and needs to learn how to skillfully handle the truth about righteousness, that is, he needs to know the gospel more fully before he can teach it to others.

14. Solid spiritual food is only for those who are spiritually mature, who have a firm relationship with Jesus Christ, and who by experience have learned the right and wrong way of looking at things.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I take it you are not baptised in the Spirit then?

John 7:37-39

All the best,

Stephen

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

there is spirit because Jesus has already been glorified. Being baptised in spirit is another matter, actually. The Apostle Paul knew this, but I doubt that Saul the Pharisee did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit