Watchtower negotiates with Town of Ramapo over taxes

by lrkr 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lrkr
    lrkr

http://www.lohud.com/article/20090615/NEWS03/906150341/1019

Enjoy guys! Front page, above the fold this morning.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Here's what I really don't understand about this deal. I'm sure they'll reach some sort of agreement with Ramapo but I think the real question is why on earth do they want that property? We know they're pulling out of Brooklyn but with the reduction in force over the past few years, the rumor that the Canadian branch is going to pick up more printing assignments (BTW - the name badges and most of the forms I've recently seen all say "printed in Canada".) and the large facility at Patterson, why are they buying this land?

The only thing I can think is that they see it as a good investment. But, if they turn it into Wallkill or Patterson - who would want to buy it?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

That's my question too.

Magazines are going to be printed in Canada.

Books will be done in Wallkill.

Patterson is to house Gilead and the Governing Body offices.

They plan to close Brooklyn down.

Why do they need a facility in Ramapo? Couldn't they divide whatever is left in Brooklyn between Wallkill and Patterson? What would Ramapo be used for?

• lrkr
    lrkr

Simple answer- there is an obsession with building at Bethel. Nothing can stay the same for very long. Bethelites are former pioneers- that is former contractors and cleaners- therefore the thing that Bethelites do the best is building and cleaning.

• sir82
    sir82
    Patterson is to house Gilead and the Governing Body offices.

Source? I've never seen anything on the Governing Body moving to Patterson.

My thought was that they were going to transfer the Brooklyn operations (Service Department, GB, Writing, etc.) to the new Ramapo site. Then they'd have:

-- Wallkill as a printing & distribution center

-- Patterson as an education center

-- Ramapo as an administrative center

That's just a guess, but it seems to make sense. They'd have a bit of built-in redundancy as well - with 3 locations, if some sort of disaster befalls one site, there's 2 more available for at least temporary housing of the rest of the full-timers.

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

Perhaps it will be a compound for the GB and the Legal Department; this way the GB can further isolate themselves.

• Peaches1978
    Peaches1978

Maybe they are building a bunk for the GB and all the important people for when the big "A" comes they are safe. make you wonder?

peaches

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I got this in an email yesterday,

I didn't post it as I thought it was old news, about printing in Canada.

Hi friends!

We didn't know if you all heard yet, but Bro Hurd of the Governing Body announced yesterday that as of the beginning of 2010 all the printing of the magazines done here at Walkill will now be printed in Canada !

So that was a shocker for us especially here at Wallkill as we have been printing the magazines since 1973. They will be purchasing a brand new MAN press for Canada which will be shipping out the magazines for all of US and Canada . What a big chunk of work that takes away from us! But we still will be printing and binding all books. So they will be selling our 3 smaller MAN presses and using the two new ones on a double shift starting next year as well. It seems that the presses are designed to run 24 hours a day, so when we shut it down at 5 pm we are actually causing more harm than good, so by running it at least 16 hours a day, it will be better for the press and production. Bro Hurd stated that when the new double shifts get set up it will be made so that no one will miss their meetings, which, of course, is very important Well, when Jehovah's chariot moves forward we just cling on for dear life as it keeps moving lightning fast!

We hope all are well, and we send our love and best wishes to all for your continued blessings at Jehovah's rich hand.

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- -----
    Similar report with some extra details:

It was announced last Wednesday (by S Hurd) that beginning sometime in the early part of 2010 Canada will print all the magazines for USA & Canada . Wallkill will print no magazines (this may be the first time in 130 years that no WTB&TS mags will be printed in USA ). Wallkill will print hardcover
    &
    soft cover books, bklts, brochures, etc. Canada will receive & install a new MANN double-wide press for printing mags. They will also ship the mags to the USA for further distribution. Canada 's present Hancho printing press will be removed. So will Wallkill's 3 old MANN presses. Wallkill will retain the 2 new MANN presses for printing books, etc. Since Wallkill began printing mags in Feb 1993 the facility has printed more than 8 billion.

From Rome Bethel

Yes indeed, it was announced a few days ago that we are not going to work on Saturdays anymore!!!
    But the real big news for us here in Rome is that we are closing down the printery, the bindery and the shipping department!

Everything will be printed in Germany . . . and as Bethelites we are going to decrease of about 130-150 brothers and sisters!!!

What a change!!!

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Thanks purps, quite interesting!!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Well, when Jehovah's chariot moves forward we just cling on for dear life as it keeps moving lightning fast!

Hilarious and sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit