Be prepared for a Good cry...

by ohiocowboy 14 Replies latest social current

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Watch the Video. My eyes are still watery. Happy tears

The story:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Air_Force_sergeant_returns_early_surprises_daughter.html

And now for the best part, the Video:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/videos/en/?bctid=25329763001

By Matt Woolbright - Express-News

Air Force Master Sgt. Joseph Myers had only one wish while in the desert sands of Iraq: Get home before the end of his daughter's fourth-grade year.

It almost didn't happen. Almost.

On Thursday, the next-to-last day of class at Randolph Elementary School, the airman's wish came true.

An emotional Myers, still dressed in his brown-and-tan fatigues, surprised his daughter in her class, returning from a year in Iraq nine days before his tour ended.

Hannah Eschrig's jaw dropped and she began crying as her father lifted her into an embrace. Several minutes passed as the hug continued before Hannah could even speak.

“It was the culmination of 350 days of waiting to be back with my daughter and family,” said Myers, 41. “I missed an entire fourth-grade year. My goal was to be back before her final day so I could say I was there; it was awesome.”

The Air Force informed Myers of his early return a few weeks ago, and when his wife told a coworker, the idea of a surprise was born. To make it happen, Tami Myers worked with the public affairs department at Randolph AFB and with the school, which serves the children of military parents, many of whom are deployed in combat zones and elsewhere overseas.

“We are privileged and blessed to serve this military community, and homecomings are the best part of military life,” said Principal Karen Bessette of Randolph Elementary.

Myers' reunion with 10-year-old Hannah was his second of the day. He reunited with his 19-month-old daughter, Adison, just before surprising Hannah.

Adison didn't know how to react, burying her face into her mom before uttering, “Hi, Daddy,” and bringing tears to many of the people there.

Hannah's class was interrupted when Bessette announced that some friends would be talking to the class and taking pictures. When everyone was in place, mom and dad walked in.

Hannah's expression and instant tears drove her mother to tears as well as she watched her daughter and husband reunite.

“I was so excited, I couldn't believe it,” Hannah said. “I don't really remember what happened because I was just so happy.”

After the initial shock passed, one of the boys in Hannah's class asked Myers how much he had missed her.

“I can't describe in words how much ... 350 days is just way too long,” Myers said.

Hannah has a lot in mind for things she wants to do with her dad now that he's home.

“I want to go to Fiesta Texas with him because that's what we used to do together,” Hannah said. “I've missed his smiling face and I love dancing with him and putting makeup on him.”

A blushing Myers said he's just happy to be home with his family.

• compound complex
    compound complex

"No he's not ..."

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks, OCB.

CoCo

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

That was delightful, thanks for posting that up. I love seeing happy families :D

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Thanks CoCo and Outback!

115 views on this thread. I wonder if anyone else liked it?

I love seeing things on the news that have really happy endings. Hopefully soon there will be many more of these types of experiences. It won't come soon enough in my book!

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Thanks for this post Ohiocowboy,

This is the kind of stuff that shows just how sentimental I am and not an ogre! Family, relationships, and friendships are what makes life livable and enjoyable for me.

HappyDad

• Barbie Doll
  • quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

ouch - thats heartwarming

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

What a happy reunion (......goodness, where's my tissue?)

The littel girl's father was away for almost a year..... i know it's for duty to one's country but

I just couldn't do that.

I miss my kids when they're off and gone to school on any regular day which is around 7 hours.

Thanks for sharing.

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

My Airman returned from Kuwait just this past month. He was only gone for four months and my boys were stuck to him like magnets when they saw him. I could not imagine the agony of having him away for a year, what a strong woman and what a sweet story.

Angie

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Thanks for the comments! I couldn't imagine being away from a loved one for a year. Even days and weeks can be hard to deal with. I am happy for that little girl and her family that her Dad made it home. My heart goes out to those who aren't as fortunate.

Rocky_Girl, I am glad your Husband made it home OK, and that your family is complete again!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit