Theocratic Warfare - Is it in writing?

by cappytan 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Splash
    Splash

Watchtower June 1, 1960, pages 351-352
    "We must tell the truth to one who is entitled to know, but if one is not so entitled we may be evasive."

Insight On The Scriptures, Volume 2, 1988 pages 244-245.
    "While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it"

w07 2/1 p. 6 Why Be Truthful?
    So while Jesus did not utter an untruth, he gave them an incomplete answer in order to limit the possible harm they could do to him or to his followers.

But then they speak out of the other side of their mouth:

w11 12/15 p.8-9
    Will we let Solomon's course be a warning example for us? With similar rationalizing, one might share in extracurricular sports or clubs at school, underreport taxable income, or tell untruths when asked to reveal actions that could be embarrassing.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

neverendingjourney - "I remember reading that the last official mention of it was during the Rutherford Era."

Pretty sure it's been referred to since then.

Seems more like the first "official mention" of it was during the Rutherford Era; it's definitely something the Judge would've come up with.

• steve2
    steve2

The notion of withholding certain (usually sensitive) information from those deemed not "entitled" to receive it is as old as humankind. I do not condone the organization's retreat into withholding sensitive information but acknowledge its wide practise in practically all groups, religious or otherwise.

The disappointment for me is not the organization's resorting to this old practise, but their lofty claim to be the sole channel of truth worldwide and that all others are false. I'd hold them to a higher standard of practise on that claim alone.

Regarding their withholding sensitive information in order to put a better spin on their reputation, thery're pretty much the same as any other closed group you could name. So much for 'the truth setting them free'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit