Theocratic Warfare - Is it in writing?

by cappytan 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cappytan
    cappytan

I'm just wondering if the Theocratic Warfare doctrine is anywhere in writing or if it's a word-of-mouth kind of thing where it's mentioned at Elder's school, but not put in writing.

Anyone?

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    I remember reading that the last official mention of it was during the Rutherford Era. Don't quote me on it, though. I haven't independently verified this.
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Also, while the term "theocratic warfare" wasn't used, I remember the official teaching as of 10 years ago was that you could withhold the truth from people who weren't entitled to it.

While the literature may not have called it "theocratic warfare," it's essentially the same thing.

• cofty
    cofty

“It is proper to cover over our arrangements for the work that God commands us to do. If the wolfish foes draw wrong conclusions from our maneuvers to outwit them, no harm has been done to them by the harmless sheep, innocent in their motives as doves.” Watchtower 1956 Feb 1 p.86

“Today God’s servants are engaged in a warfare, a spiritual, theocratic warfare, a warfare ordered by God against wicked spirit forces and against false teachings. God’s servants are sent forth as sheep among wolves and therefore need to exercise the extreme caution of serpents so as to protect properly the interests of God’s kingdom committed to them. At all times they must be very careful not to divulge any information to the enemy that he could use to hamper the preaching work.“ Watchtower 1957 May 1 pp.285-286

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    There was a WT in the 1950;s that named it as a useful strategy when faced with "unlawful" (as defined by Divine law-grin) opposition
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

"While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it." - Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 2, pages 244, 245.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/266349/what-theocratic-warfare-this-official-doctrine-jws?size=10&page=1

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it

Especially regarding information about certain ones of the flock who have engaged themselves in acts of pedophilia. To divulge certain intervening information could possibly bring reproach onto Jehovah's earthly organization, damaging are appeasement to him and his righteous will and purpose.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant
    I think it is from "Aid to Bible understanding", but I am not sure.
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Cofty gave it to you:

“Today God’s servants are engaged in a warfare, a spiritual, theocratic warfare, a warfare ordered by God against wicked spirit forces and against false teachings. God’s servants are sent forth as sheep among wolves and therefore need to exercise the extreme caution of serpents so as to protect properly the interests of God’s kingdom committed to them. At all times they must be very careful not to divulge any information to the enemy that he could use to hamper the preaching work.“ Watchtower 1957 May 1 pp.285-286

and NeverEndingJourney gave you the "moral" justification:

"While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it." - Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 2, pages 244, 245.

...but go ahead and make guesses about whether it was real and where the policy was delivered to the rank and file if FACTS aren't your cup of tea.

"I think I remember reading that someone said they thought it was about 14 inches up my descending colon, but I don't know what that is - I might not even have one - so you can quote me on this as an non-authoritative source with a flexible opinion."

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I remember that it was mentioned in a 1974 or 1975 year book which related the experience of a JW in Nazi Germany. The JW had the Nazi police or Gestapo ask her if she was a Jehovah's Witness and her answer was "I am a Christian". That was referred to in the yearbook as "Theocratic tact".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit