Being a JW is like......

by LouBelle 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

sitting down to whatever is dished up in front of you and eating it. It requires very little brain power or imagination. You just shovel in the food, burp, pat your tummy and no matter what it is you've eaten think it's a great meal.

Being a free thinker is like a chef, the one who gets to construct the meal, thought is required, knowledge of what works together is required, a desire to cook the meal, imaginiation.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Leaving Jehovah's Witnesses is like choosing to throw yourself off a cliff, all the cool wind in your hair.

• trebor
    trebor

...taking the blue pill and ignoring the red one.

-trebor

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I liken it to one of the images of Greek Hades, where you're doomed to fill an urn with water using another urn that has a hole in the bottom... you keep working and working and nothing ever feels accomplished.

Religions based on works are the most futile thing I can imagine spiritually speaking.

It's also constant fear and guilt, at least it was for me. Fear that I was going to die unloved by God, because I could never do enough, and guilt that I was also not "saving" other people by preaching to them. I never made a Witness out of anyone. I'm quite glad of that now, but I used to feel so guilty about that!

I always thought God was punishing me because we always have had problems, the kind a lot of people have. I thought that was evidence that God hated me. I've had ungoing health problems, so do my kids and my husband found out he was a type II diabetic 3 years ago. I thought that was evidence that God hated us for not doing enough.

The WTS god is all about hate and fear and guilt. Mind control and coercement is the only way you'd serve that God...no one would do it willingly. If I still thought that was what God was about, I'd be an atheist, and then I'd probably kill myself in despair. Their version of God running the universe like they run the WTS is inconceivably horrible.

• Mary
    Mary
    Being a JW is like......

Having a lobotomy with pain medication......

• Heaven
    Heaven

... being in prison with no hope for parole.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Having all the thinking done for you at Brooklyn. Your "food" consists of nothing more than spiritual monosodium glutamate, which will ruin your brain.

Outside the cancer, I find that I have to do more thinking on theology, and all the more so that I realized that God and the Bible lie. It takes effort to decide for myself what is good and what is bad, but it is more likely to be an accurate viewpoint. And, I am not going to play into the hands of someone that wants all my money and time if I can decide for myself.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I will obey, master...

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

it's like having a thousand rocks piled on your chest, while you are being drowned, with a pillow over your face, with a plastic bag tied over your head, while having your hands and feet tied down, while you are being disemboweled, while electrodes attached to your genitals shock you.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

being a goldfish in a fish bowl, you're stuck with the same old crap and everyone outside the bowl is having more of a life than you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit