The young ones are leaving in droves!!!

by 1914BS 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nowman
    Nowman

There was a thread here recently-I think more than one about my area, Northern Illinois, mass DFing of teenagers!

I do not know who has repented since...but I do find it fitting to this thread...

Nikki

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life
    but the teens seem to have gotten out!

It's the internet and texting and all that stuff. They can't keep the teens isolated anymore.

• wobble
    wobble

My Bro. in Law , who has faded himself, but said nothing to his kids to persuade them, in fact he won't have anything said against the WT, (unless he says it !)

said to me "Our kids are not stupid, you can't keep the truth,about the "Troof" away from them"

The last of his 3 children has just left the Borg.

So I thnk that the exodus is near, but not yet here.

May it soon begin to pick up speed , and then those arrogant ars*holes in H.Q will have to take note.

At present they think that tighter control will work, HA bloody Ha.

love

Wobble

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

In my experience the yoof are just getting better at playing the game. They stay in name only to keep family and friends but have zero interest in "privileges", pioneering etc.

• Lost-In-Translation
    Lost-In-Translation

There are many young ones in their early 20s that realize the "truth" isn't really the "truth" they were raised to believe. Many were restricted from getting a good education after graduating high school. After suffering with low-paying jobs and not being able to live a normal life they leave. I have seen many congregations without any significant young ones. It is strange to see so many older people in attendance. At least that is what I've seen in the English congregations.

However, in the Spanish and other foreign languages it's a different story. The foreign language congregations are full of young people. In the case of Spanish speaking congregations, the large number of undocumented male brothers disqualifies them from being appointed. Many do not have internet access nor computers at all - so they are totally unaware of Watchtower history and the constant changes in doctrine.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

This is indeed good news.

There are a couple of things that the 'powers-that-be' do not take into account - when they promote their 'rules'.

#1 - College edukashun is bad.

Well... to a certain point this may seem to work - but it is getting to the point that if an individual does not have a college education these days - they cannot get much of a job.

The flip side to this - if a 'member' of the religion has a low-pay job - that means that the contributions are likewise low.

Also - as a side-note - they are going to need more folks to run their print facility - and the equipment there only gets more and more complicated - and will require a decent education... dare I say it... a college education - to be able to run it.

#2 - Internet is bad - it's deemunized.

This too is from the folks who are from the 'old school'. they figure that the easy way to get folks to stay away from something is to make it sound like it's demonized!

Meanwhile - the youngsters - who grew up with the technologies that we have today... cell phones - computers - i-pods, etc - embrace the new technologies as 'tools' (and some toys), to be used.

So - when they are told 'don't use these things', they tend to drift away from the negative influences.

It's all about updating the mentality at brooklyn. If they are wanting to 'grow' their membership - they had better get with the program and modernize their thinking on what's 'good' and what's 'bad'.

Personally - I hope that those geezers in charge with their '50's mentality last another 20 years - and most of the younger members will eventually drift off to other things (like getting a good college education) - leaving the religion.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Mary
    Mary
    I remember a WT study article a couple of years ago that was entitled" when a young person rebels" or something like that - anyone know that mag?

I think this is the one you're thinking of. Truly a sick article that reinforces that you need to shun your own flesh and blood if they dare to show disloyalty to the Borg:

w07 1/15 pp. 17-20 Remaining Steadfast When a Child Rebels

A CHRISTIAN woman whom we will call Joy tried to raise her son to love Jehovah God. When he reached his late teens, though, the son rebelled and left home. "It was the deepest hurt I had ever experienced," Joy says. "I felt betrayed, brokenhearted, and frustrated. I was overwhelmed by negative thoughts."

Perhaps you too have tried to raise your children to love and serve God-only to see one or more of them turn their back on him. How can you cope with such bitter disappointment? What will help you to remain steadfast in your service to Jehovah?

When Jehovah's Sons Rebelled

A first step is to appreciate that Jehovah knows exactly how you feel. At Isaiah 49:15, we read: "Can a wife forget her suckling so that she should not pity the son of her belly? Even these women can forget, yet I myself shall not forget you." Yes, Jehovah experiences feelings common to fathers and mothers. Imagine, then, the pleasure he must have felt when all his angelic sons were praising and serving him. While answering the patriarch Job "out of the windstorm," Jehovah recalled happy times with his united spirit family, saying: "Where did you happen to be when I founded the earth? . . . When the morning stars joyfully cried out together, and all the sons of God began shouting in applause?"-Job 38:1, 4, 7.

In time, the true God saw a perfect angelic son rebel against him and become Satan, meaning "Resister." Jehovah also watched his first human son, Adam, and his perfect wife, Eve, join in the rebellion. (Genesis 3:1-6; Revelation 12:9) Later, other angelic sons "forsook their own proper dwelling place" and rebelled against God.-Jude 6.

The Scriptures do not tell us how Jehovah felt when some of his perfect sons followed the course of rebellion. However, the Bible explicitly states: "Jehovah saw that the badness of man was abundant in the earth and every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only bad all the time. And Jehovah felt regrets that he had made men in the earth, and he felt hurt at his heart." (Genesis 6:5, 6) The rebellion of Jehovah's chosen people, Israel, also made him feel "hurt" and "pained."-Psalm 78:40, 41.

There can be no doubt that Jehovah has empathy for parents who suffer pain and hurt resulting from the behavior of rebellious children. In his Word, the Bible, he has given sound advice and encouragement to help such parents cope with their situation. God exhorts them to throw their anxiety upon him, to humble themselves, and to take their stand against Satan the Devil. Let us see how following this counsel can help you to remain steadfast when your child rebels.

Throw Your Anxiety Upon Jehovah

Jehovah knows that few things cause parents more anxiety than feeling that their children are in danger of harming themselves or of being harmed by others. The apostle Peter identifies one way to cope with this and other concerns. He writes: "Throw all your anxiety upon [Jehovah], because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7) Why is this invitation and reassurance particularly relevant to the parents of a rebellious child?

While your child was young, you were vigilant in protecting him from dangers, and he likely responded to your loving direction. As he grew older, however, your influence over him may have diminished, but your keen desire to protect him from harm did not decrease. In fact, it probably increased.

As a result, when your child rebels and suffers spiritual, emotional, or physical harm, you may feel that you are to blame. Joy, mentioned earlier, felt this way. She says: "Each day, tormented by a sense of failure, I kept replaying past events in my mind." Especially at such times does Jehovah want you to "throw all your anxiety upon him." If you do so, he will help you. "Throw your burden upon Jehovah himself," said the psalmist, "and he himself will sustain you. Never will he allow the righteous one to totter." (Psalm 55:22) Joy experienced such comfort. She explains: "I spoke to Jehovah intimately about everything going on inside of me. My feelings just spilled out, and it was the greatest relief."

As an imperfect parent, you may have made mistakes while raising your child. But why should you focus on these? Jehovah evidently does not, for the inspired psalmist sang: "If errors were what you watch, O Jah, O Jehovah, who could stand?" (Psalm 130:3) Even if you had been a flawless parent, your child might still have rebelled. So share your feelings with Jehovah in prayer, and he will help you to cope. However, if you yourself are to remain steadfast in serving Jehovah and are to avoid becoming a victim of Satan, you must do more.

Humble Yourself

"Humble yourselves . . . under the mighty hand of God," wrote Peter, "that he may exalt you in due time." (1 Peter 5:6) Why is humility needed when your child rebels? In addition to causing you feelings of guilt and pain, having a rebellious child may cause you some embarrassment. You may be concerned that your child's actions have ruined your family's reputation, especially if he had to be disfellowshipped from the Christian congregation. Feelings of self-reproach and humiliation may combine to discourage you from attending Christian meetings.

In dealing with such a situation, you need to exercise practical wisdom. Proverbs 18:1 warns: "One isolating himself will seek his own selfish longing; against all practical wisdom he will break forth." By attending Christian meetings regularly despite your grief, you will be able to tap into a vital source of instruction and encouragement. "Initially, I just did not want to face anybody," admits Joy. "But I reminded myself of the importance of my spiritual routine. Besides, if I had stayed at home, I would have brooded over my problems. The meetings helped me to focus on upbuilding spiritual things. I am so grateful that I did not isolate myself and miss out on the loving support of my brothers and sisters."-Hebrews 10:24, 25.

Remember, too, that each individual in a family must "carry his own load" of Christian responsibility. (Galatians 6:5) Jehovah expects parents to love and discipline their children. He also expects children to obey and honor their parents. If parents do their best to bring up their children in "the discipline and mental-regulating of Jehovah," the parents themselves will have a good reputation with God. (Ephesians 6:1-4) If a child rebels against loving parental discipline, it is the child's reputation that will be damaged. "Even by his practices a boy makes himself recognized as to whether his activity is pure and upright," says Proverbs 20:11. Satan's rebellion has certainly not damaged Jehovah's reputation among those who are acquainted with the facts.

Take Your Stand Against the Devil

"Keep your senses, be watchful," Peter warns. "Your adversary, the Devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone." (1 Peter 5:8) Like a lion, the Devil often targets the young and inexperienced. In ancient times, lions roamed Israel and were a threat to domestic animals. If a young lamb strayed from the flock, it would become easy prey. A ewe might instinctively risk her own life to protect her lamb. However, even a full-grown sheep would be no match for a lion. Therefore, courageous shepherds were needed to protect the flock.-1 Samuel 17:34, 35.

To protect his figurative sheep from the "roaring lion," Jehovah has arranged for spiritual shepherds to care for the flock under "the chief shepherd," Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 5:4) Peter gives such appointed men this exhortation: "Shepherd the flock of God in your care, not under compulsion, but willingly; neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly." (1 Peter 5:1, 2) With your cooperation as parents, these shepherds may be able to help a youth to correct his course spiritually.

When Christian shepherds need to counsel your rebellious child, you may feel an urge to protect him from the discipline. However, pursuing such a course would be a serious error. Peter states: "Take your stand against [the Devil]"-not against the spiritual shepherds.-1 Peter 5:9.

When Discipline Is Severe

If your child is unrepentant and is a baptized Christian, he may receive the strongest form of discipline-being disfellowshipped from the congregation. The extent of contact that you will then have with him depends on his age and other circumstances.

If the child is a minor and is living at home, you will naturally continue to take care of his physical needs. He also requires moral training and discipline, and you have the responsibility to provide these. (Proverbs 1:8-18; 6:20-22; 29:17) You may want to conduct a Bible study with him, involving his direct participation. You can draw his attention to various scriptures and to the publications provided by "the faithful and discreet slave." (Matthew 24:45) You can also take the child with you to Christian meetings and have him sit with you. All of this can be done in hopes that he will take Scriptural counsel to heart.

The situation is different if the disfellowshipped one is not a minor and is living away from home. The apostle Paul admonished Christians in ancient Corinth: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man." (1 Corinthians 5:11) While caring for necessary family matters may require some contact with the disfellowshipped person, a Christian parent should strive to avoid needless association.

When an erring child is disciplined by Christian shepherds, it would be unwise if you were to reject or minimize their Bible-based action. Siding with your rebellious child would not be providing any real protection from the Devil. Actually, you would be endangering your own spiritual health. On the other hand, by supporting the efforts of the shepherds, you will remain "solid in the faith" and will provide the best help for your child.-1 Peter 5:9.

Jehovah Will Sustain You

If your child should rebel, remember that you are not alone. Other Christian parents have had similar experiences. Regardless of the trials we undergo, Jehovah can sustain us.-Psalm 68:19.

Rely on Jehovah in prayer. Regularly associate with the Christian congregation. Support the discipline of appointed shepherds. By doing so, you will be able to remain steadfast. And your good example may help your child to respond to the loving invitation from Jehovah to return to him.-Malachi 3:6, 7.

• lrkr
    lrkr

I was the 10% that was zealous and still involved in the org. (oops- oh well- now its 0%)

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

I had an interesting experience with my son a couple of weeks ago. I've been quietly fading for over a year now, and occassionally still get pressured to attend special meetings, etc. Well after being coaxed into attending the convention with my son ( never baptized), I finally had to let the cat out of the bag so to speak, because I didn't wan't him to think I wanted him to become a JW or really even be influenced by some of the teachings. But i also did not want to burden him with trying to keep a secret from other relatives. So, after much thought, I tried to clue him in on a few things:

Me: Son, we really need to talk about a lot of things and why we don't go to the meetings anymore. [ yadda, yadda, yadda, blah blah] Long story short, there are a lot of things JWs teach that I don't agree with.

Him: Really, like what?

Me: ( basically I tell him about 'new light', disfellowshipping, blood transfusions, etc..) but caution him about why I cannot be open with his JW grandparents.

Him: (very nonchalantly) - Oh okay, cause I already basically knew, but just didn't want to say anything.

Me: (flabbergasted) KNEW! KNEW WHAT?

Him: Oh about the JWs and their history. Like what happened in 1975.

Me: How did you find out about that?

Him: You-tube.

So we talk for a while and I find out that he knows way more than I thought he did, but for whatever reason, never felt comfortable speaking out about what he'd found online. He goes on to ask me about the messiah and asks me to explain what JWs believe about Christ, and so on. I don't think I gave him a reason to feel like he had to keep this stuff to himself. Lord knows we haven't been to a meeting in the longest. But I do think that for many young ones still attending, there is TREMENDOUS pressure to NEVER leave 'Jehovahs organization' lest their entire lives go up in smoke.

Anyone catch this years district convention drama? Aimed totally at young people leaving the org, and how they will end up drunken alcoholics, in jail, with whores for girlfriends. Incredibly simplistic, boogie monster view of 'the world and worldly people'. A good part of it warned about staying away from 'part-time' J dubs. But makes me think that they are getting desperate and hemmorhaging(sp?) young folk, as they are trying so hard to scare them into staying. I must've rolled my eyes a thousand times while watching it. uugghhh.....

• NINfan05
    NINfan05

for me personally, i must say that growing up in "the truth" everytime i would hear to stay away from the internet and even sites like this one, it actually made me more curious to look into why i was restricted to do something. i never was the model elders daughter. lol

and i have to say since i have joined this site, it just feels like a breath of fresh air because since my husband and i have stopped going, its really caused me this constant fear of armageddon. it seems like i think about it everyday. my brain feels like its just been scrambled. its so hard to figure out what my real purpose or what anyones real purpose is. and just want to say thanks for everybody who posts on here because it makes my days a little bit better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit