Oh well another cult uses it....

by mouthy 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

And the Masons are a cult because.....?

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I'm not sure the Masons are a cult, because they seem to lack the coercive elements, even though they have codes and secrets...it's more like an exclusive club or a fraternity, not that those are all wonderful either. But, it is interesting that their lore has contributed significantly to the formation of other cults, like the Mormons.

The LDS religion is full of very obvious Masonic symbolism, and it only takes a visit to their center in Salt Lake like I did once to notice it. Stars, moons, pyramids and all seeing eyes everywhere!

I sometimes wonder how much even Witnesses subtely derive from Masonry, as Russell was obsessed with some of their symbolism, such as pyramids and even astrology.

Masonic symbols are all through our culture in various ways from what's on the dollar bill to how cathedrals are laid out. I don' t know how evil or insidious that all is, nor do I have any conspiracy theories about it, but it is an indication that human beings love symbolism and certain images and ideas tend to become meaningful and gain a power of their own through repeated usage.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

My wife was part of rainbow and is an advisor for DeMolay. I did the BITE test for them and they didn't pass everything, but they do have elements of destructive cults in them. I do alot of charity work and having a wife who is involved get to hear all about being a mason, basically any time I'm in contact with a Mason. I'd say they are nothing if not persistant. I tell them I can't join because I'm an atheist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit