Why elders are so CERTAIN of they OWN OPINIONS

by BonaFide 18 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Elders are told they are appointed by Holy Spirit. That means THE SUPREME GOD OF THE UNIVERSE USED HIS FORCE TO APPOINT THEM OVER THE FLOCK.

That is a major big deal.

So when they get in that back room, and the body of elders meets, or they are on a judicial committee or shepherding or whatever, THEY THINK THEY ARE SPEAKING FOR JEHOVAH GOD HIMSELF.

Do we realize what that means? That means that when THEY FEEL SOMETHING, OR THEY ARE EMOTIONAL ABOUT SOMETHING, OR THEY GET MAD AT SOMEONE IN THAT ROOM, THEY FEEL THAT IS HOLY SPIRIT DIRECTING THEM.

They don't realize they are on their own. Those feelings that they have are not from God. I know, becaue I was one. I felt like that. I believed that when I had a FEELING about something, that was JEHOVAH GOD telling me something.

Of course, I did try to analyze myself to make sure I was following God's viewpoint through the Society.

But in general, THAT IS WHAT ELDERS BELIEVE.

So no wonder when you call them on something, or their opinion is wrong, it's not their fault, it's your fault. They are appointed by Holy Spirit.

How many elders realize they those opinions they have about people are just that, their opinion?

They don't, they think God is directing them.

What do you think? Do you agree? Disagree?

Bring it on.

BF

• penny2
    penny2

They also think they are worthy of double honour. And some (usually uneducated) elders even tell this to the "flock".

• Open mind
    Open mind

It's surreal sitting in the back room with them.

I scour their faces trying to discern if any of them has a clue that at least some of it is B.S.

om

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

"They also think they are worthy of double honour."

What about the title of "GLORIOUS ONES".

Totally against scripture;

Luke 18 v 18……And a certain ruler questioned him (Jesus), saying, Good Teacher by doing what shall I inherit everlasting life.

V19..Jesus said to him: Why do you call me good? NOBODY IS GOOD except one God.

The elders are not just mere GOOD but far greater than that, they are GLORIOUS

With that title they just can't do any wrong.

KT

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

For some reason this reminds me of the Stanford prison experiment. Students were divided up into guards and prisoners. The experiment was ended after the several guards started to exhibit "genuine" sadistic tendencies. It’s an interesting Psychology lesson on what happens when people are given the authority to discipline. And on what happens to people when they willing submit to that discipline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbs_lfBbmn8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

C. T.

• Pig
    Pig

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

my dad is an elder

I asked how they make decisions, like if whether they think someone is truly repentant or not.

He said they discuss it then pray for Holy Spirit in their decision.

And I joked "so what, do you make the decision then tell god that unless he hits the table with lightning, they will see it as a sign that they made the right decision?

He said, "No, god directs our thinking through the bible and his holy spirit so he can direct us to certain scriptures and paragraphs and make sure our decision is fair"

He also said that if one of the elders was an apostate it might interfere with the Holy Spirit.

Yeah sure, gods scare to talk because there's a nasty guy there, so he just let them all be deceived rather than do anything.

• Scott77
    Scott77

The belief that JW Elders are guided by God's holy spirit is rediculous to say the least. How about protecting child molesters in the congregation? Is this really what God wants? At one time,I remember telling an MS in our congregations that wayward Elders does not deserve our double honor because they discriminate some brothers over others.

Scott77

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Thanks for your honesty Bonafide.

Yep that belief (that they are divinely guided) leaves them wide open for corruption e.g when an elders kids play up how "the boys" bury it, no questions allowed, closed ranks.

Or elders hand choosing ministerial servants and grooming like minded ones for eldership. Actually, on reflection, it is bloody corrupt from top to the privilege of working on a magazine counter.

• reniaa
    reniaa

honesty bonafide? you lied! elders are appointed by whether they qualify by this scripture....

1 Timothy 3:1-10 (New International Version)

1 Timothy 3

1 Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, [ a ] he desires a noble task. 2 Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. 5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?) 6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. 7 He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil's trap.

8 Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. 9 They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons.

holy spirit inspired the bible so are you obscuring the fact they are chosen by holy spirit in so far they fulfil the requirement of the holy spirit inspired bible?

IF you pick someone that then goes on to sin are you to blame?

Was Jesus to blame for judas going wrong?

I'm trying to understand your motivation of making out Jw's believe some great celestial hand comes down and picks a man for elder or leadership? I know this is what christendom do teach with their appostolic successsion and laying on of hands but this is not a witness teaching?

They only look to see if a man qualifies by the above standard although I think marriage is optional because Paul clearly allowed single brothers could be elders too.

• merfi
    merfi

reniaa I'm confused.... Why do you say Bonafide is lying? What you wrote after "you lied" doesn't give reasons why you think he did.

I think his viewpoint of having been (is, I think?) in elder shoes pretty much trumps yours of not having been. And that's what he was expressing, I believe. I enjoyed his post. It makes sense to me, but then, I consider myself a person whose elevator goes to the top for the most part.

Circular nonsensical reasoning confuses me and just makes the person delivering it look nuts, basically.

Jw's believe some great celestial hand comes down and picks a man for elder or leadership

Yeah, that's it in a nutshell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit