Do you carry in backcountry?

by daniel-p 14 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

There was another thread that got a little derailed by arguments between gun-owners and non-gun-owners, but I'd like to continue the discussion of a single topic (without rantings on gun control, please):

Do you carry a firearm while in backcountry? either 4-wheeling, backpacking, or doing ranch-related work, etc? Why or why not? Do you think it's effective to carry a firearm for defense against animal predators? In many backcountry areas, carrying a firearm is illegal (National Parks), while it is legal to hunt in National Forest and Wilderness, to the best of my knowledge. (Required hunting liscense?)

Thoughts?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

One time my wife and I were hiking on a trail in a National Park when all the sudden we came upon two bear cubs who were scrambling through some shrubs about three feet off the trail to our left. In order to proceed back down the mountain, we had to pass the cubs. We didn't see the mama bear anywhere. Needless to say, I was scared shitless. My wife, on the other hand, stupidly paused and tried to get a closer look. I was absolutely furious with her.

I don't know if there would have been any way to make that situation more safe, other than turning back around the way we came and waiting a while. The trail was very narrow, and there was no way off the trail due to a rock wall on our right and the river embankment to our left (down which the cubs were scrambling). I don't know if a firearm would have potentially ameliorated the situation if the mom bear was present... I doubt it. But situations like these do alert you to the fact that no one wants to be more helpless than they already are.

What do you think?

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

We ride ATV's, and occasionally but not always, we will carry a pistol with us. Depending on where we are going to be. In National parks, it is illegal to carry. Most of the time, we ride on private land. There have been time's we are way up in the mountains and there are bears and poisonous snakes. Better to have and not need than be in a bad position and not have!

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Yes, we carry, i think it would be silly not to.

However, I do also believe in using a big walking stick, staff, whatever you want to call it. They are usefull for so many things.

But I wouldn't be comfortible without a firearm too, it's one of the basics.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Aparently laws have changed:

National Parks to Allow Right-to-Carry

Friday, December 05, 2008

“Today’s announcement by the U.S. Department of the Interior brings clarity and uniformity for law-abiding gun owners visiting our national parks,” said Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. “We are pleased that the Interior Department recognizes the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families while enjoying America's National Parks and wildlife refuges.”

DOI announced the rule change today and will publish the new regulations in the Federal Register. The new regulations allow right-to-carry permit holders to exercise their Second Amendment rights on national park and wildlife refuges in those states that recognize such permits. The move will provide consistency across our nation’s federal lands and put an end to the patchwork of regulations that governed different lands managed by different federal agencies. In the past, Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service lands allowed the carrying of firearms, while lands managed by DOI did not.

The NRA has long held that amendments to those regulations were needed to reflect the changed legal situations with respect to state laws on carrying firearms. Earlier this year, fifty-one U.S. Senators sent a strong bipartisan letter to the DOI supporting the move to make state firearms laws applicable to national park lands and refuges.

“These changes respect the Second Amendment rights of honest citizens as they enjoy our public lands,” concluded Cox. “We applaud the Interior Department’s efforts to amend these out of date regulations.”

Fairfax, Va. - The U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI), through the National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, has announced the final amended version of its changes to rules on carrying of firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges. DOI’s move will restore the rights of law-abiding gun owners who wish to transport and carry firearms for lawful purposes on most DOI lands, and will make federal law consistent with the state law in which these public lands are located. The National Rifle Association (NRA) led the effort to amend the existing policy regarding the carrying and transportation of firearms on these federal lands.
  • daniel-p
    daniel-p

Here's a good thread debating the issue:

http://yosemiteblog.com/2009/05/22/enjoy-your-gun-you-cant-use-it/

In my opinion, whether a person actually "needs" a firearm in the backcountry is irrelevant. Right to carry is right to carry, doesn't matter what the level of threat may actually be.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Good News!!

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I go in the back country alot in Wa state. I always carry a small arsnel with me to practice shooting. How ever is noted that meth heads and pot growers are in the fringe areas. The best way to protect your self from any proplems is to go in a group and bring a dog with you. A dog will always alert you to problems before you can. Bear spray is better defence than a handgun. We have black bears here and when they see you they run.

I had 3 kids that wanted my camp 2 years ago and were looking for trouble. I had my AR 15 next to me and they left.

We have to wait untill feb of next year to carry loaded firearm in national parks. (Obama signed the law a few weeks ago with the credit card law)

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

I carry in the back and front country. Only two ways the cops will ever find out. 1, if I am doing something criminal which i don't do. 2, if I have to use it and in that case a misdemeanor would be worth it.

Never ever consent to a search...support your local criminal defense attorney.

• oompa
    oompa

i never carried...but always felt better my bud had a little 22 in h.s pack...not for animal...but people....did two states of the app and it can get scary at times.......oomps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit