marriage vows...

by lurk3r 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StAnn
    StAnn

"Divine termination"~I bet now that's defined as disfellowshipping, putting the believing mate in spiritual jeopardy.

St. Ann

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

Thanks for commenting peeples.

I'm suprised the society has not emphasized the "importance" of being married, in "jehovahs name". After all, his name is "divine" and there is "divine judgement" involved. If a person defiles the marriage bed, they are not accountable in a judicial commitee towards ceasar as much as they are Jehovah, even though it is the god of some other priest that married them, by the standards of jw's. Baptism could be viewed the same way - but it's not. Goes to show how the organization wants the control perhaps? Married is married. Baptism is baptism, yes?

rockmehardplace - a marriage before god, would be official when exactly?

Bluesbrother. - your question is a good one, thanks for adding it. I understand where your coming from with the principles concept.

whitedove/rachel - with the dubs trying to be so technical with things, perhaps this could be a way of bringing their picking and choosing to light?

mindmelda - are you shitting me? SUNG her vows? That's funny, how old was she, and did her hubby to be flinch? First marriage and he was willing to endure for the sake of getting some action for the first time?lol

Debbie Hairy - Is their anything more current? Or is that still "new light"?

lurk3r

• blondie
    blondie

BTW it is Blondie not Debbie Hairy.

Here are the updated WTS marriage vows:

*** w06 10/15 p. 20 Weddings That Are Honorable in the Sight of God and Man ***Unless local law requires something else, these vows that honor God are used. For the groom: "I [name of groom] take you [name of bride] to be my wedded wife, to love and to cherish in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian husbands, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement." For the bride: "I [name of bride] take you [name of groom] to be my wedded husband, to love and to cherish and deeply respect, in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian wives, for as long as we both shall live together on earth according to God’s marital arrangement." (first mentioned in 3/15/69 WT page 175)

Mentioned in 1952:

*** w52 6/15 p. 363 The Marriage Ceremony ***

The minister will then ask the man to repeat after him:

"I, ________, take you, ________, to be my wedded wife, to love and to cherish in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian husbands, for as long as we both shall live or until the divine termination of the marital arrangement."

Then the minister will ask the woman to repeat after him:

"I, ________, take you, ________, to be my wedded husband, to love and to cherish and deeply respect, in accordance with the divine law as set forth in the Holy Scriptures for Christian wives, for as long as we both shall live or until the divine termination of the marital arrangement."

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

My bad Blondie. Having a jackass morning...

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

lurk3r, please don't be a jackass to Blondie. She is beloved here!!!

Butting my head in, sorry 'bout that, sometimes though I cannot resist!

Rachel

• dinah
    dinah

for as long as we both shall live or until the divine termination of the marital arrangement."

WTF?????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit