does anybody remember "marking?"

by stillin 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I think you are thinking of a "public reproof" LouBelle? That is where when someone has a JC but is not disfellowshipped but lots of people in the congregation are aware of the wrongdoing, the reproof is announced to show that the elders have "dealt" with the situation.

All of the above is scriptural, of course.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I was too ...they told a sister to not asssociate with me
    because I read "The Orwellion Mind of Jehovahs Witnesses,By Gary Botting.
    No brothers ever talked to me about it though..

• DeanOs
    DeanOs

I don't know what thay make of me... nor do they !!

I mean, I 've had a few say, : I would've greeted you, actually I saw you a few times but avoided you as I heard you were Disfellowshiped! Are you disfellowshiped? (Holy crap!??) (no, they didn't say Holy Crap.. speak it tho ) . I proceeded to find out that (I tink) i've been 'marked' of a sort that goes like: there's a blanket banning order "DO NOT speak to Brother X" he's'apostate or something'..

Loubelle you know what I am talking about... anywayzz I think you speak of the 'early' cong (something__..mere like the (wind) .. hmmm! Yeah. . quite a few cases there of a peculiar nature.

Interestingly had one elder accuse me (as I tried 'reasoning' with some J W's on streetwork) that "YOU worship Satan" my MY!! speak of markin

I subsequently find out that what he did (and that publicly) is quite illegal.. 'orribl li'l fella!!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Mickey Mouse - I'm talking about marking. I know with public reproof it's announced from the stadium and privileges are taken away.

In our kingdom hall they actually did publically announce any who were marked, to warn the congregation, their priviliges of answering were not taken away but they couldn't perform other duties such as handling the mikes or give talks until they had proven that they had changed their ways. yes not the normal practice in all congregations but it was like that in ours.

• bsmart
    bsmart

I have not been in a kHall for more than 20 years, so was wondering what the current status of "marking" these days. One of my sisters is still in and both of my brothers go occasionally.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Of course it is still one of their weapons. In fact, It is the ONLY weapon they have to use against someone who is not "dunked". That's why they push for children to be baptized. CONTROL! If a person is not baptized, they cannot be threatened with public reproof, disfellowshipping, and shunning. (Of course, inactives are often shunned now.)

• asp59
    asp59

I mark congregation s that i think have a lack of hospitality. And they dont get help from me. Marking is easy. IF you are not perfect you can get markt 😁😂 But at the end Jesus words of not judging are more important.

• Done
    Done

If you're in your 20's and an elders daughter who is 25 gets into a "relationship" with you, you get publicly marked in multiple congratulations.

1995 or so

• tiki
    tiki

They just don't get the point...judge not, lest you be judged...

For Christians....only one judge...Jesus. Dubs are not Christians.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Back in the early 1980s 2 of my nephews (through marriage) were 11 and 13 years old when they suffered through their parents' bitter divorce, and were kidnapped and taken out of the USA by their mother. It was over 3 years before the FBI returned them to their father and stepmother who were active JWs

Now at ages 14 and 16 surprise surprise, they had emotional problems. One day they took BB guns and shot out the glass from some lights attached to a fence around a nearby subdivision. They were caught and sentenced to pay restitution and do community service. (appropriate right?)

Once the elders in their tiny town found out they announced both of their names as being marked followed by a talk describing what they did. The instruction at the time was to treat those marked as though they were disfellowshipped.

It backfired on the congregation because the counselors at their school were angered that boys who clearly needed therapy were not only NOT getting it, but now being ostracized as well. Soon after they were finally reinstated by the congregation, the policy of shunning was replaced with non-socializing, which is nearly as bad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit