Did people DONATE for the literature when you went out in service?

by BonaFide 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• restrangled
    restrangled

When I was a young girl we always asked for donations for W and A. 10 cents. A hard cover book was 25 cents. I seem to remember it going up to 25 cents for the magazines and 50 cents a book.

I don't ever remember turning the money in. I think we were allowed to keep it.

r.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

When we moved to the donation only process I was a good JW and asked for donations. One time I received a dollar. That was it. After a few years I did not even try to ask for any money.

BTW, I do not think that I ever deposited that dollar in the contribution box. And, I never contributed for the literature.

• undercover
    undercover
    I don't ever remember turning the money in. I think we were allowed to keep it.

That may have been before the donation arrangement. Way back when, we did charge for literature at the door. Mags were 5 cents, then 10, eventually 25. Books were 25, to 50, maybe even 75. Then you paid for the books as you picked them up, so any money you might make, you could keep. There was more accounting taking place, keeping stock of what was ordered and paid for.

When the donation arrangement started, all charging was dropped. But they put the screws to you in guilt to make sure that you "donated" what the books were worth. Then if you "placed" any, you were expected to donate that as well.

The only thing is...it didn't work. Dubs are notoriously tight and weren't donating the full amount up front and most weren't asking for donations at the door.

• minimus
    minimus

Never

• undercover
    undercover

You just didn't try hard enough, min

Maybe if you had "asked" nicely...

• redking
    redking

No, they gave it back. If you asked for a donation after placing it they would hand it back and say that is okay, so I never really asked because I wanted to place it and not want people to think we were after their money like everyone else. However, if someone offered I always turned it in. I remember older people would give money and tell me to buy a drink or something because they felt sorry for me, but normally it ended in the contributions. Dang I'm thirsty!

• oompa
    oompa

i once had an off and on study give me $100.00........and i got some reg donations too.......oompa

• R.F.
    R.F.

In the 3 years of active door-to-door I did only two people gave a donation, and I didn't ask for it.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, before 1990, after, no, I rarely asked.

• nbernat
    nbernat

I've gotten 3 in my few years as a publisher...and 2 of them were already studying so they knew the drill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit