Did people DONATE for the literature when you went out in service?

by BonaFide 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I think I got a donation maybe once or twice here in the States. Most of the friends don't ask for a donation. In South America, more people donated, but I think it's because it was phrased differently, we used to say, "You can give whatever you want for this magazine." The Branch allowed it.

And you? What is your experience? Don't you think the donations have gone WAY DOWN since 1990?

BF

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

It's been my experience that the brothers and sisters didn't even ask for a donation.

I never did, and no one I ever went out with did.

Which actually I think is very telling. Somewhere back in our little brains that we kept pushed back very far was the knowledge that the mags were really just crap.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Nah, we sold the rags back when I was forced to go in fs. I think .10c a piece or something like that "you can read this BS for nominal fee of .20cents to cover the cost of printing" I remember this one guy gave me a dollar (it was my moms door), he didn't take the rags, gave me a dollar and said "here kid go buy some candy". My mom put the dollar in the contribution box and I was pissed.

nj

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I remember the same as you, ex-nj-jw.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Down here they donated far above the suggested price.

Some days enough for me to buy groceries and diapers.

Hey, what with walking in the hot sun, pushing a baby stroller, I felt compelled to keep the donations!

Sylvia

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Some days enough for me to buy groceries and diapers.

Dang snowbird, if I had known that, I would have been in service a whole lot more!

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Yea..............................

But that was 30 years ago

It was either a

dime or a quarter

It was worth paying

just to get us the

Hell off their porch!!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I never had the stomache to ask for the donation. I felt like a televangelist.

• undercover
    undercover

I got a few donations...but I usually didn't ask.

I was glad when it went to the donation arrangement. I thought(erroneously) that it would make it easier to impress people how important our message was if we were willing to not charge for it. If someone wanted it, I was willing to give it to them. I had already donated for it at the counter myself, so it was paid for so I didn't go through with the donation bit at the end.

But it started to rankle at me...all the demos in the Service Meeting about how to ask for donations. It seemed to be that more import was put on how to aske for a donation than how to present the material. And then they wanted to make sure that we were putting all the money we recieved from the householders in the contribution box. They harped on it so much that it got me to thinking. And then I realized that they were double dipping...or at least trying to. First, we were expected to "pay" for our literature at the counter. Then we were expected to ask for the donation at the door and bring it back and put it in the box. I balked at that. I already paid for it. I'll give the book away if I want. or better yet, the measly couple bucks I collected went in to my "break" fund. "Place" a book, buy a doughnut at break.

The donation arrangement change and the subsequent harping on our collections was an early eye opener for me. I started to question the validity of our being used to present the "good news" versus being used as door to door sales people.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Does anyone have a list of what the Dubs pay donate for the litter? I am interested in two items: What the Bible really teaches and the Kingdom Interlinear Testament.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit