What happens if you show up at the DC with no badge?

by JeffT 32 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I went to the District Convention this past Sunday. No badge. I agree with the other posters, almost 40% of the people there had no badge. Just look bored and you will fit right in.

BF

• ziddina
    ziddina

Uhh, guys? Did any of you notice the ad that shows up when you visit this thread???? Something about, "Order Free Copy - The Bible tells us exactly what happens after death. Science cannot explain it. Order your free copy of 'What Happens After Death'"

Isn't that the title of a JW publication?? How ironic that would show up here... [insert Twilight Zone theme song here] Ooooo! Bethel IS watching us!! Oooogey Boooogey!

Zid

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I didn't wear a convention badge for several years before I left, neither did my wife OR my kids*. We never got hassled.

*Who puts name badges on little kids in a large, open, public space? It's a pedophiles dream to have all these little children that they can call by name....

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

When I was still married to the JW-wife, and she and my daughter would go to conventions...

my daughter would swap badges with the other youngsters (teenagers, wh?) and would wear someone elses' badge. Gals wearing guys' badges... etc. It was considered 'fashionable' to the kiddos to get one of their 'favorite' friend.

So... if anyone 'cards' you... you might have the name of someone else... for a while.

I thought it was funny as heck and encouraged her to do it. Sometimes she would come home with 2 or 3 badges - not her own.

Regards,

Jim TX

• jws
    jws

I would think the beard would be the biggest thing that would call attention to you and somebody might watch you.

I remember getting badges. When I was a kid I used to like wearing them. When I was a late teenager/adult, they were a bit annoying. I might wear one, but it would be attached to my shirt pocket and covered by the breast of my suitcoat. I may have been hassled once or twice and opened my suit to show it. But I also didn't wear it sometimes. Sometimes the congregation ran out of badge holders so we couldn't wear them. Different times though, so who knows about this year?

Anybody have a hi-res scan of this year's badge? I'd bet if it were printed on photo paper, it might come off as a "good enough" replica. It just has to be "good enough" to pass a first glance, unless you're up to something, confronted, and the badge is examined more closely.

With your beard, you might have a better time faking a press badge. I'm sure you can find something online that would help. There used to be a place here called "Spy Supply" that sold press IDs. Pick an obscure paper that probably wouldn't send somebody and fake a press ID from them. Who's to say the little rag from the grocery store doesn't print IDs that way. Be sure to ask for a press packet or to talk to their public relations person to sound legit.

As far as being "open to the public", I don't remember it that way. The Sunday talk was always open to the public because they specifically wanted to invite the public. I'm not sure about the rest of it though.

• musky
    musky

Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm not too worried about actually hiding my identity or anything. I expect I'll wear slacks, nice shirt and if anybody asks I'm a free lance writer. I gufess if I get thrown out that will make a good story.

In fact, I've written a novel. I'm trying to find an agent. I'm thinking that getting something factual published might help.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I agree that, if possible, just don't go. If, however, you are going to take notes to post on these boards, I suppose you could go in dressed as a worldly person that is stopping by and taking notes to show to a worldly relative who is debating whether to take a study. Best to use a fake address, preferably one that is out of state, so they will have lots of extra work to cross-reference your claim.

Now, without your embarrassment badge, you can get into the building and listen to the program (you are, after all, taking notes to impress a "worldly relative"). If they give you a hard time, just say something like "Well, I guess that will be one less study, one less publisher, one less disciple". That ought to make them feel guilty, since they will lose a potential member if they give you a hard time (more so since the hard time will be part of the experience you report to your "worldly relative" that might make them not want the study after all.

However, you might have a hard time getting any littera-trash or anything else that they use the embarrassment badge or the blood card to identify you as a witless. As there is no longer any food, that will not be an issue.

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

Something to consider; the audio of the convention may be simulcast on the radio so if you were concerned about going in, just get close enough to listen to it on the radio. As others have said though, dress nicely, dont make a scene or spectacle and likely no one will even look your way.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

I was doing this for 5 years(when I got the crazy idea the WT was no "God's Organization"). Most of the JW's they were looking for my badge!!! I had a discussion with an elder and I said does this badge realy shows my spirituality? Did Jesus had a badge too?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit