Would covering my roof with mirrors cut down on my utility bill?

by mkr32208 16 Replies latest social current

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Ok my roof is already white (white/green architectural shingles) I wondered if I put mirrors on the roof to reflect the light if it would cut down my electrical bills?

I'm not really thinking about doing it just curious!

• Gregor
    Gregor

It probably would but the savings would be offset by your mirror bill.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'd go with silver paint.

Here ya go man... someone already invented it: http://www.henry.com/index.php?id=151

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

They can put silver paint or foil in your attic too, its called a radiant barrier. It qualifies for that tax credit as well.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Solar panels on your roof would probably keep you cool, and possibly eliminate your utility bill. Excess energy can be sold back to the utility company for use in the winter, if you guys in Florida need it. I should say some areas do this, possibly yours?

• villabolo
    villabolo

Try some Reynolds Wrap.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Yeah but I've been able to get a couple 4 X 8 mirrors for $20 apiece! I was just curious if it would make a difference!?

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I don't think that you'll accomplish much - other than blinding a few pilots flying high overhead.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

White reflects heat....so wouldn't mirrors also reflect heat back into our atmosphere? Save the planet, and have a grass roof.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> White reflects heat....so wouldn't mirrors also reflect heat back into our atmosphere?

On sunny days the radiation that is not absorbed by the earth is reflected back out into space. Grass will actually warm the earth more than reflecting the radiation harmlessly out into space.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit