Young People Ask - Ans/Work - Now that you're older...

by Confucious 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confucious
    Confucious

I think I was 22 when that book came out.

And I remember the being at the Convention remembering how much I appreciated it.

And even at that age - feeling like that book was for me.

But how do you feel about it today?

I don't have a copy of it anymore, but I do remember it being one of the better books.

Thoughts?

• asilentone
    asilentone

I will not read that book again!

• Scott77
    Scott77

Frankly speaking,I loved that book so much. It was so dear to me. I did read it many and many times. I loved the full color pictures of young people. However, I was not impressed with its attacks on higher education. That really pissed me off.

Scott77

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

My mum made me read it when she found out that i'd discovered what my penis was for

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

It probably sounds a bit arrogant, but I felt the answers weren't sufficient for me when I was going over it at age 12. I felt like I was being talked down to, like when a parent is trying to convince a child that Santa Claus exists.

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

I agree with Tuesday.

My Dad had to go over the chapter on Masturbation with me several times. The only thing that seemed like practical advice was when it said to lie on your side at night when you sleep. That had absolutely no effect the desire for a 14 yearold boy to spank it!

The book was crap like everything else and all of the scenarios were practical and unrealistic. Especially the advice on how to deal with Bully's and stuff was completely dumb. My father really should have brought home a pair of boxing gloves. We probably would have fixed the masturbation problem and the bully problem with a good boxing session every day.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Young People Ask--Answers That Do Not Work

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I am more from the Youth Book era ( the red one). I remember the chapter for boys and then the chapter for girls. The one for girls helped me to be a firm wall, instead of a door that opens and closes willy nilly with the wind. Wow that thing really messed with our heads.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Never read it. I had had enough with the "Your Youth" book (yeah... the frickin' red one!).

no more kool aid said: Wow that thing really messed with our heads.

It sure did! That book angered me. It's one of the reasons I did NOT become a JW! I wonder how many of the boys actually read the girls' chapter. Notice it came AFTER the boys' chapter. BTW... they didn't use the word 'penis' to describe the male sex organ or 'vagina' to describe the woman's birth canal. Weirdness!

The 2 paragraphs for the boys on sexual properness/responsibility versus 4 PAGES for the girls really ticked me off! BITE ME, WTS!

I told my mother there was no way I wanted any part of any organization or 'new world' where women were second class citizens and subjugated. I still maintain this. Oppression and subjugation are not loving and have no truck with me.

• Waffles
    Waffles

Pedro* writes "I was hopelessly addicted to flogging my dolphin. I cried every time I was done wanking it. I felt so lost and hopeless. Fortunately the Young People Ask book and the assistance of mature older brothers helped me conquer my evil desire to shoot yogurt rockets into my dress socks. Now I am a missionary in Honduras and am not even attracted to women. Thanks YPA!"

* - name has been changed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit