Open Minded Christians?

by homeschool 15 Replies latest jw friends

• homeschool
    homeschool

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a Christian Church that loves and appreciates Jesus, but also recognizes that it is purely a culteral thing and also acknowledges other religions as truth? Are Unitarians like this? I'm getting to the point where I'd really like to find a group like this. We tried to go to a Baptist church not too long ago, and that was certainly not the way to go!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

What's wrong with the Baptists now?

Are they claiming some sort of exclusivity?

Aren't all religions dogmatic in what they teach and their specific doctrines?

And how do you know if a group "appears" to be open-minded if once you really get dug-in you find out different?

Teachings are subtle.

Didn't you find that out when you joined one that advertised "truth" exclusively?

What makes you think one that advertises open-mindedness will be any different?

All religions are cults!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Yup homeschool - Unitarian Universalists accept all religions.

If you like a quiet, reflective style of meeting/worship, you may find the Quakers worth a look too. They have their roots in Christianity but have evolved much further since they began.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

May I suggest a website they help answer your question? its www.naturesgod.org/ it's kinda Unitarin but it not a bible or holy book based religion- but if your seeking cold hard facts about religion go to www.deism.com . There is a artical on there on a man who went from being a JW to a Deist, and it may help you on your journey.

Progress in Peace

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I have a Methodist co-worker who truly believes that Muslims are worshiping the same God as he does, via a different path/faith.

He refused to discount their faith and devotion as merely a fairy tale.

To summarize, he believes in One God & Many Paths to him.

• StAnn
    StAnn

You might like the Episcopal Church.

St. Ann

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I've found there are Universalists, which is what you're describing, in almost all faiths. I'm a Universalist in that

But what you describe you would find among UUs. They're hugely into secular humanism and appeal to rationalists. Even my atheist friend feels quite comfortable in a typical UU service.

There are over 200 Baptist sects of all ilks...from the very liberal to the fundamentalist. If you found a fundamentalist sect, you probably weren't too happy with it if you want ecumencism or Universalism...an acknowlegement of truth in all faiths. The fundamentalist (also known as the Religious Right in their political incarnation) movement is not known for that.

• homeschool
    homeschool

Wow, some really good suggestions. Thank you. I will check out those websites. The Baptist Church we went to started off with how gays are going to hell. I don't believe all churches are cults, but it is very important to stay on watch with that sort of thing.

Didn't you find that out when you joined one that advertised "truth" exclusively?

What makes you think one that advertises open-mindedness will be any different? Cameo, I do not know the answer to that question. All I can do is look and then form an opinion. I'm not gonna be suckered again.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Homeschool,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a Christian Church that loves and appreciates Jesus, but also recognizes that it is purely a culteral thing and also acknowledges other religions as truth?

The thing is, any "christians" that accept other religions as truth obviously do not believe the words of Christ Himself

John 14:6 (New International Version)

6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Or these

John 10:7-9 (New International Version)

7 Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture.

Paul puts it well here

Ephesians 4:4-6 (New International Version)

4 There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

True Christianity is the least inclusive faith there is, faith in Jesus, "God with us" Matthew 1:23. JWs and Mormons don't have that faith. JWs believe Jesus is not God but an angel and the Mormons say Jesus is Lucifer's brother (thus also an angel) and we can all become like The Father ("a god"). All the best, Stephen

• caliber
    caliber
    To summarize, he believes in One God & Many Paths to him.

Be at peace .....simply love your neighbor.

Love looks through a telescope; envy, through a microscope." - Josh Billings

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit