Who likes Battlestar Galactica?

by Dogpatch 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Battlestar Galactica is one of my most favorite of all TV shows, too bad it is over. Never watched the first series, but the new one is great. Mostly for the character development and the ethics issues it raises and addresses. I think it will have more meaning in the days ahead, as robots increase and the issue of "creating life" becomes more tricky.

Good review of the series (partial quote)

Perhaps dismissed as mere science fiction, with robots, odd-shaped paper and made-up words, Battlestar Galactica has used this freedom to ask questions fundamental to what we are as people. These are questions of freedom, of what it is to be human and of the right to life and the right to take it. It shouldn't be at all surprising to see that, by its end, Battlestar Galactica threads in the origin of man, life after death and the existence of God. Without giving away quite how it answers these questions, Battlestar Galactica ends satisfyingly with several surprises, credit paid to characters who developed out of what were initially very minor roles and so memorable a conclusion that it will be talked about for a long time to come. It's not quite the ending of St Elsewhere, which was so leftfield a closing that no one could have foreseen it, but Battlestar Galactica ends in remarkable fashion. Not all its questions are answered but such was the way of the show.

full article: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=70778

What you think?

Randy

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

Love it. Compelling characters. Stirring storylines. Not good guys versus bad guys - just guys. Some strong, some weak, none perfect. Sounds like .... life yeah?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

love it, star wars is better

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Watched it from season 1 to 4. Loved it all. I really am gonna miss it.

Can't wait for Caprica to come out, besides the one already out on DVD. Loved that too.

I just loved the final episode and the battle scene, HOLY FRACK!

There's always the reruns.

Yiz

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Randy,

My wife and I are big fans. The first season was Grade A.

My all-time favorite single episode is "Unfinished Business". It blew me away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinished_Business_(Battlestar_Galactica)

-LWT

PS: Firefly was a quality show, but short-lived.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I have the last 13 episodes on my DVR, and the last two, Daybreak, are in HD on my 50" screen. :-))

They absolutely blew me away, but 50% of it is knowing the characters and how their lives have matured. If you haven't watched it before for a few episodes at least, it might not be at all interesting. But the whole of the seasons is the most mind-blowing of all sci-fi I have ever seen as far as its emotional impact. The only thing that compares is the first time I watched Aliens years ago. But this I get so much out of psychologically each time I watch the episodes. I have yelled and cried and cheered and dragged all the locals in to see it. Besty has no clue yet. :-))

Many of the visual effects are purposely played down (opposite of modern sci-fi like Star Wars) to keep you on the story and the characters. Star Wars is cool but just entertaining. Got to see the new Star Trek hopefully soon.

Also a fan of horror, but the spiritual or psych type (love Jacob's Ladder) and not the stupid slash movies. Loved Ambrose Bierce as a kid.

R

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

dogpatch, the trend in tv/sci-fi shows today is to have dark scenes to save $$$ on effects. unfortunately they make the show depressing.

every episode of battlestar kept me on my seat watchting..... but star wars movies make ME feel better in the end.

• Rosey
    Rosey

Dogpatch I love Battlestar gallactica..........I just love the thought of all that future technology. I also really liked all the stargate and stargate atlantis programs and films and the Sarah Connor chronicles although they stopped for a bit here and I missed when they started up again so I might just have to buy them or something.

Another program I have been getting into is The Big Bang Theory which is hilarious........if you haven't seen it....please watch it.

Rose x ( More of a trekky than a star wars fan ........please don't cringe!)

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

DaCheech,

They masters are filmed in more light and better quality, but the directors purposely cut the flashiness back. Much has been written on this, it was intentional, not just for $$$. I'll try to remeber a post I did on this earlier with links. I also met Richard Hatch at a Manga book signing a few weeks ago, he grew up in my neighborhood, and just wrote a great unauthorized book on the show.

The reason I like the series is exactly the opposite of yours, is that I thnk all the "feel good endings" are just too cheesy, not REAL life at all, but are like high 5s for the testosterone-laden boys watching. :-))

I prefer the gutsy, tough choices we all have to make in life, the dark side of the soul that must evolve or succumb to their circumstances. If you have ever been a leader over people, and you care about your job, this stuff is really HOT. Anyone in leadership, especially politics and military, should watch it.

Doesn't mean I don't like to watch the fun stuff, though, it just never really changes my life. This does.

Randy

• VM44
    VM44

"...odd-shaped paper..."???

what odd-shaped paper?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit